RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Three Rivers and Zephyr in June!

Author Topic: Three Rivers and Zephyr in June!
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never travelled by train before. My son turns 18, April 7th and I gave him a trip for just the two of us. We will be taking Amtrak in early June (leave the 2nd) all the way from Harrisburg, PA - the Three Rivers - to Sacramento, California via Chicago and the California Zephyr. Then we will meet friends, see the redwoods, tour, hike, backpack in Yosemite and return by train - Sacramento to Harrisburg. Amtrak and Yosemite were his choices.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum. And I would like advice, comments, suggestions, etc. I am so psyched I can't stand it! We have standard rooms the entire way.

While a newbie, I am a moderate train buff and have been reading these pages and several books. A few questions:

what size luggage should I take? What will fit under the seat?

With a standard room I would like to maximize useful nooks and crannies. What size or shape containers, bags, etc. would you bring for a standard room?

On the superliners, there is a baggage rack where you can get to your luggage, correct? Where is the carry on luggage stored on the viewliners?

Are there no more sodas at all, or just no longer an unlimited amount? ( I don't like coffee and prefer diet pepsi) Do they still serve juice in the morning?

What are prices like in the snack bar? For a can of soda what is it? 50? 75? 1.00?

For a standard candy bar what is the price?

As this is a new and possibly one time experience for both my son and I, is it considered proper to ask amtrak employees about their jobs and the function of the train and so on? (For the ingnorant but curious)

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions and advice.

Thank you all!

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a standard room I would like to maximize useful nooks and crannies. What size or shape containers, bags, etc. would you bring for a standard room?

* I'll leave it to others to address luggage size. I would suggest that you pack a couple of small overnight bags for what you will need on-board the train. Check the big stuff (camping gear etc..) so that you won't have to deal with lugging it around during your Chicago layover. The Sears Tower is two very short blocks from Union Station and a good place to spend some of your layover time.

Are there no more sodas at all, or just no longer an unlimited amount? ( I don't like coffee and prefer diet pepsi) Do they still serve juice in the morning?

What are prices like in the snack bar? For a can of soda what is it? 50? 75? 1.00?

* No more complimentary sodas in the sleepers. You can still get diet soda in the lounge and dining cars. As a sleeping car passenger they will be free with your meals.

At other times it seems like they are now $1.25 or $1.50 for a 12 ounce can. (I was on the Carolinian two weeks ago and still had complimentary soda in business class.) If you drink alot of diet pepsi (as I do), you might consider bringing some of your own on-board in a small cooler (keyword being SMALL. You'll understand when you see the standard viewliner room!) You can replenish your stock from vendors in the Chicago station and again during servicing in Denver. Don't expect to find anything during the servicing stop in Sparks, NV. Don't plan to explore much during the brief stop in Sparks either lest you become a Union Pacific hood ornament!!!! (In other words....stay on the train platform)

Have a great trip!!!!!!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that for two two adult males, the Standard is going to be a "tight fit". It is really a one person room that has two beds. The second bed is for an adult and small child or two adolescents. While I realize I'm about to double the accomodations costs, I would give strong consideration to booking either a Deluxe of a second Standard.

But with that having been said, there is quite an array of nooks in the Viewliner Standard (HBG-CHI) that are not there with the Superliner. I strongly suggest "soft" luggage; it is so "squisshable". However, if a bag will fit under an airline coach seat, it will fit under, with room to spare, a seat in a Standard.

The soda pop in the cars is gone; but coffee and juice remain.

Snack Bar prices for any item are "high" but not "obscene", but lest we forget, "three squares" are included in your accomodation charges.

Now asking an employee about their job, is something that in any area of life, is best done with great trepidation. I do not think Amtrak employees are an overly "para" bunch, but they are still employees, albeit represented by a strong Union. However, they are still paid far far more than a comparable job would pay elsewhere, especially when considering a Sleeper attendant has duties that are not much different than a hotel housekeeper. Too many questions can easily breed "suspicion". Tact, tact, and more tact are the order of the day.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-11-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they still have ice in the Superliner sleepers? They did a few years ago on the CZ.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of three weeks ago Mr. Clipper, YES

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-11-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superliner standard bedrooms have a closet that opens at the narrow end that can be used to store thin (about 4-5") bags like a briefcase (on the closet floor under the clothes you hang up). There are also hooks that will hold backpacks on the wall. The carpeted step up to the upper bunk has room for a small piece of luggage, but it may fall onto the bed on rough track. Beyond that there is under, and on, the beds.

Leaving your larger luggage in the storage area on the lower level is very convenient; you pass it each trip to the bathroom and it is right where you enter the car from outside.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the comfort of the standard sleeper, it depends on your size. If you are both over 6 feet in height, the upper berth sleeper might feel cramped. If you are medium height/build, you'll be absolutely fine. No need for anything bigger.
Enjoy the trip. Hang out a lot in the observation car on the CZ. It's wonderful.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help. My son and I are relatively thin, just under 6 foot, OK with tight spaces (We have both been spelunking) and have no extra money to upgrade so standard will do.

There is only one shower in a car for all the standard rooms, do you just take your chances? Is there plenty of hot water? Are towels, washcloths, soap and shampoo provided like in a hotel? If so, how do you get them, from the attendant?

I often get up very early; can one wander the train prior to sunrise and is the sightseer lounge open to watch the sunrise?

I am sorry for those of you going on the CZ that will get the re-route through Wyoming. As of right now, we will not get the re-route either out (June 2-5) or back (June 17-20). But I don't trust the repairs to stick to schedule, so we will see.

What are your opinions of current service on Amtrak and the California Zephyr in particular? Are things on the upswing or downswing? It sounds like a great deal depends on what kind of car attendant we get.

Where are openable windows located and is it OK to open them when the train is stopped? ( I know you don't open them when it's moving)

Should we bring our own pillows and extra blanket?

What equipment will be used on the CZ? Will it be Superliner I or II? The Three-rivers will be Viewliner with the TV removed, I believe. Doesn't bother me that they are removing the TV. These days you can get a protable DVD player for less than $200 and take your own DVD's.

Questions, questions, questions!!! Thanks for all your help! 78 days to go!

God Bless, Tim

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, Mr. Yellowstone, take a peek at my profile.

Now, for the next round of questions.

The community shower does serve all Standard rooms of which there are 12 in the viewliner and 14 in the Superliner. It is "first come first served". One of the reasons i like the Lower Level on a superliner is that you are close to the shower - just peek out your room and you can see whether or not the "occupied" light is lit.

Secondly, there are no windows on any Amtrak train that open for passenger use. The crew has one in each car, but that is just for crew. Days of opening a "Dutch Door" or "Orient Express" movies are long gone.

All bedding soap and towells are provided in Sleepers.

The Sightseer observation car is open at all hours, and you are quite free to go there and watch the sunrise.

The California Zephyr is regularly assigned Superliner I cars.

All told, having completed within the past month, a Chicago-Orlando round trip, I can still report that I found "more positives than negatives"; hope this helps.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you have already thought of this, but I know I didn't the first time I took the train: Bring a Walkman with CDs. It is very relaxing to listen to music as you look out the window.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a friend is going to loan us a 7" portable DVD player. That's why I don't care if the Viewliner TV's are gone. My son and I are both movie buffs and like similar movies (Sci-Fi, adventure and war).

We are also going to try the PBS radio plays of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. That should be perfect for the train.

76 days to go!!

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the storage space in a Standard room, the largest storage is under the seats. There are two. The dimensions of each under-seat space is
9½" tall
23½" wide
26" deep

If your carry-ons are smaller than that, they will fit under the seats. However, once your attendant deploys the beds, the space is not accessible, and you'll not be able to retrieve you bags from underneath without undoing the beds. So it is best to move them out from under if there's anything you'll need before morning.

Superliner Is have a closet, which is more aesthetically pleasing. Superliner IIs have a short coat hanging rod and a strap to hold things against the wall. I actually prefer this over the closet because it is easier to access things in coat pockets, garment bag pouches, etc, without taking them off the hanger.

I have a travelogue of the California Zephyr here, which will give you a good idea of what to expect. http://hometown.aol.com/MPtoybox2/CZ_aug_2001_p1.html

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your help. Time is getting closer! 49 days! I am fortunate to be traveling on days the Moffat tunnel is open so no detour for us! A few more questions -

What dining service is available on the Three Rivers from Harrisburg to Chicago? For all the money accomodations cost, I thougt we would be getting a dining car. Further investigation on the website seems to imply only a "cafe car". What is this and what kind of food do they serve? I want a decent dinner!

Also, what determines when and if you will get breakfast on a train? We are scheduled to arrive at 7:45, but that is long after I will arise and want breakfast. What if the train is late, as it often is, and arrives at 8:30 or 9:00?

coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dining situation on the Three Rivers is this: For your dinner, they block out half of the cafe car booths, set the tables with flowers, etc. And then the sleeping car passengers are served full meals. They are not exactly what you would get in a full diner like on other trains, but definitely a better fare than the sandwiches and pizza that the cafe sells. I smelled and saw but not ate the meals as I was in coach but they looked good and I have read several trip reports that have said the service and food is fine. The next morning for breakfast you can get whatever you want from the cafe car without having to pay as your form of breakfast. Even though the 3R has an early arrival into Chicago and it usually runs close to on time, breakfast is always offered. For the most detail get the March 2004 issue of Trains magazine as it has an article all about how they have worked to provide better food service for sleeping car passengers on the Three Rivers.
-Coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page