RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sad day for riders in Spain

Author Topic: sad day for riders in Spain
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I get ready to train it to NY I am thinking even more about the poor victims in Madrid today.

My thoughts and prayers with them...

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this topic is likely best reserved for the International RR Forum, we can only hope that security matters are being properly addressed by both Amtrak and the various commuter agencies.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happend, what did I miss?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning a rail trip in June but after the events in spain I am feeling more than a little scared... this is of course what the cowardly terrorists want.

I feel for the victims, their families, friends and everybody who has to clean up after such a tragedy it must be soul destroying.

There is no way to describe the feeling of rage that has again surfaced post 9/11 at these cowards who think it's good to kill people like this and I really really hope there is a hell for them

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon - 10 bombs set off on early morning rush hour trains in Madrid. 198 people feared dead. 911 days after 9/11.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, "changes will be made".

While I believe it would be improper to speculate regarding the nature and scope of such changes to existing security procedure, I think it is fair game to discuss what changes, if any, in the "laid back" culture of a train trip, particularly an LD trip, will likely occurr.

Discussion?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trouble is, at least a couple of the trains involved were commuter stock, going slowly, approaching their terminus station. Can you imagine PATH commuters being screened before they board in New Jersey for a 5 minute trip under the Hudson, for instance?

In such cases I think prevention is better than cure. In other words, try to infiltrate the gangs before they do harm. But how?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent reports indicate that the Amtrak Police will be more visible on the trains.
Conductors, station & train personnel should become more vigilant.
The last layer of defense is us, the passengers. Obviously, there are more passengers compared to all Amtrak staff combined.
It is now more important then ever, that all passengers become more vigilant in our observations in & around train stations, parking lots, and onboard trains of suspicious passengers, packages, backpacks, vehicles, etc., and report our observations immediately.
Let's take our new found responsibility seriously, Amtrak staff cannot do it alone, they need our help to continue to make train travel safe and enjoyable for everyone.
As a reminder, please do not discuss any potential Amtrak security weaknesses on this board. Terrorist use the internet to gain knowledge and this web site needs to be protected. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 03-13-2004).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a special on FOX news last night...
And they were live at Union Station (LA) THe Amtrak police are being much more cautious.

------------------
--Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page