RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How is luggage handle on a train trip??????

Author Topic: How is luggage handle on a train trip??????
canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak told us 2 bags per person, no more than 50 lbs. to check and 2 carry-ons per person. We will have the deluxe bedroom, chicago to new orleans, with 2 adults and 2 small children. (2 & 6)

I see some on this board won't check their luggage. Why is this? What is the storage in our sleeper? What is the best strategy when bringing luggage? If need be, we could UPS some stuff to our first hotel in New Orleans very easily. What do you folks think?

Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The advise usually given by people on this board regarding luggage is to travel as lite as possible.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you can't carry it, don't bring it"
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the advice above:

Basically the reason is because it can sometimes go astray or lost altogether, just like airlines. The vast majority won't have a problem with their luggage. A tiny minority will.

Deluxe room on the Superliners is fairly large but you can store bigger luggage downstairs in the luggage rack. Be sure to label it though. Make it look distinctive so it looks different from other people's luggage, who may happen to have exactly the same suitcase...

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had any trouble with checked bags on Amtrak, save for a couple of times when they were returned to me dusty. Other family members have had bags successully transferred from the Starlight to the CZ and back without incident.

On a long trip, I would check anything I didn't absolutely need on board. But small carry-ons probably won't sustain you on a lengthy journey. So it may be advisable to carry one larger suitcase with a change of clothes for each of you on board and keep it in the car's luggage rack where you can get to it.

My advice, if you don't need it, check it.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page