RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » here's what you want to read

Author Topic: here's what you want to read
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out this pro-rail story. Come on national media...take this one up.
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/3/emw110732.htm

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I especially liked these quotes, which has been my views for some time.

"Amtrak's high fixed costs are simply not spread over enough services and passengers to break even."

and later follows up with...

"Amtrak can be saved only by visionary expansion, not by further cuts in budgets and services."

But I must add, especially after events in Madrid, that the comments that followed the above seem a little naive.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also going to use that same first quote Mr. Toy.

Me and my family would go across the country on a train if we didn't have to be in Coach, which is not always comfortable. But, being in a sleeper is soo much more! Yes, you get the meals, and don't take me wrong I love trains! But for the sleeper price on Amtrak you could stay at a hotel+airfare for nearly the same price. I dont know about upgrading to a sleeper from coach.

------------------
--Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, it will be quite difficult for Amtrak to avoid a serious loss of business as a result of 3/11 (Madrid). Many of those who came to the train after 9/11, did so with the perception that they would be safer than on an aircraft.

Suffice to say, 3/11 has shattered that perception. Needless to say, even though the media has been providing a railfan slide show, the message of railroad passenger safety is negative.

However, Nicholas D. Kristof's column in Today's New York Times does a lot to put the loss of life in a reasonable perspective. It is worthy of your attention.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/13/opinion/13KRIS.html?hp

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page