RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train Help

Author Topic: Auto Train Help
firelaw
Member # 3122

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for firelaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, we are concidering taking the auto train with a family. We have been checking but the last trip posted was a couple of years ago.
Anyone recently taken it?
Is it fun and kid friendly?
Any tips etc and what about sleeping(2 adults with 2-4yrolds and a 8yearold)?
Your help is appreciated

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My most recent (thirteenth) ride was this past January; hopefully I can help.

A Family room should be adequate to hold your entire party; there are four beds, but I'm willing you could make do with one kid on the floor. or the two smaller ones doubled in one bunk.

As far as fun, Auto Train is Amtrak's best foot forward as a long distance train, as far as kid-friendly, I must say not necessarily so in Sleeper, or at least in the winter season. This is because Sleepers "in season" are catering to the "Bennie Caddie Lex" crowd, and most are not all that tolerant of small children. I have observed passengers with small children taking meals in their rooms.

During the summer season, it could well be a different story.

Coach is probably more "kid tolerant" at any time of the year, but I'm not about to recommend overnight coach travel under any conditions. If Sleeper is not in the economic cards, then just stay on I-95 until "South of the Border"; proceed onward next AM.

Disclaimer: I am not married and have never had children.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family took Auto Train a couple of years ago (two very young children plus two adults) and it was great! The train has a first class lounge car for sleeper passengers; the children spent most of their waking time there eating the snacks, looking out the windows, and playing games. Yes, most of the crowd was generally well-off retired folk, but there were other families as well, and everyone was treated well. With a bedroom, when the kids start acting inappropriate you have the option of taking them back to the room.
The family bedroom is on the lower level of the car, and when we travelled we had the entire lower level to ourselves, since the standard rooms were not occupied. We even had the shower to ourselves since the updstairs of our car was all "deluxe" bedrooms, which have their own shower.
The dining cars on the Auto Train have their own menus. There are two dining cars - one for the coach passengers and one for the sleeper passengers, and they have different menus (the sleeping car passengers I guess get a higher class of food than the coach passengers, but when we checked in I looked at what the coach passengers were eating and wouldn't have been disappointed with it.)
Enjoy your trip!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page