RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Detour Route for Moffet Tunnel....have YOU done it??

Author Topic: Detour Route for Moffet Tunnel....have YOU done it??
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if anyone has traveled this route before (the old Trans Continental railway I was told) between Denver and Salt Lake City via Laramie?? Can you tell me about any highlights? Unfortunately we will be detoured from some of the most beautiful parts of our trip, but was hoping to salvage something out of it. Thanks, Jeff
Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff - for many years, prior to 1983, the CZ took that route from Denver to Ogden, with stops in Cheyenne (later Borie), Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Green River, and Evaston. At that time, there was no AMTRAK service to Salt Lake City (that came when the CZ switched to the DRGW route CHI-SLC in 1983), and from Ogden, the CZ headed due west across the Great Salt Lake Causeway (Lucin Cutoff - since closed due to high water in GSL). The route then connected with the present CZ route in eastern Nevada.

I too wil be traveling over the CZ "reroute" this summer. Most of the scenery is pretty flat and boring, but the Sherman Mtns between Cheyenne & Laramie are pretty, as is Weber Canyon east of Ogden. However, the schedule may force travel through Weber Canyon during non-daylight hours in each direction. Basically, the Wyoming re-route follows Interstate 80.

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 03-16-2004).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it back when I roode the Rio Grande Zephyr as I went across Wyoming to get to Denver. That one is in my Rio Grande Zephyr Story on my web site,

The next time I went Ogden to Greeley on the Pioneer on a Thanksgiving trip That one is in mt Go East Christoher Story.

My last time was on a Circle trip after I got sober doing New Orleans, Chicago, The Complete Pioneer Route and the Coast Starlight,

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the trip on Amtrak in about 1976 or 1977. It was interesting to see Laramie and Cheyenne but that was about it. The train actually stopped in Cheyenne at that point and they had a grand old rail station.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this line in 1978,on the San Francisco Zephyr.I saw UP3985 at Cheyanne.The line reminded me of Beaumont Hill.The line twisted and curved a lot,but wasn't very exciting.The route west of Ogden crossed the Great Salt Lake.This was really interesting,but Amtrak doesn't use this line anymore.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode via Sherman Hill in spring 1982. Took the Desert Wind to SLC, the RGZ east to Denver, then went back west on Amtrak via Borie. Wins the prize for "most boring crossing of the Continental Divide". It in no way compares to the Rio Grande, the motto of which used to be "Through the Rockies, not around them"!

Interesting note: while the SFZ was permanently re-routed via the DRGW after the cleanup of the Thistle mudslide in late 1984, passenger service returned to Wyoming in 1993 (IIRC) when the Pioneer was re-routed via Borie, splitting from the SFZ at Denver. This service lasted until the Warrington cutbacks in 1996 which killed both the Pioneer and the Desert Wind.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, I travelled the line from Denver to Cheyenne then on to Seattle on "The Pioneer" in '96. I was visiting relatives in Casper WY. I couldn't believe that you guys had interstate freeways in the middle of nowhere, but I digress... I was fascinated by the restoration of Cheyenne railway station, so much so that a year later I made the journey from San Fransisco to Borie WY to visit my relatives & also see how the Cheyenne station would look restored. Well that station was still under restoration a year later, and soon after my relatives moved to Australia, where I am, so it's unlikely I shall see the station restored. Other highlights of the journey were the buttes along the way near Laramie, the snow fences(very few snow fences in Australia)& the scenic westerly departure from Green River. Now "The Pioneer" journey through the mountains in Idaho & the Columbia river in Oregon, thats another story..Mike.
Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode this line around December 1, 1971, exact date escapes me. Just out of army at Oakland upon return from Vietnam. If you want a scary flight try one of the Who-are-you?-no-name airline charter companies the military used at that time. After 8 hoiurs for mechanical work instead of a one hour refueling stop in Japan and a take off roll in which the plane exhibited all the acceleration characteristics of a loaded coal train, we left the ground and the pilot announced, "We will attempt a non-stop flight to Travis Air Force Base California". Talk about inspiring confidence! Talk about a quiet flight inside the cabin! No one wanted to do anything to cause any difficulty whatsoever that might result in their spending one more minute in the green machine than they had to. (About 2/3 of us were processing out upon landing.) That flight was all I needed to complete my decision to finish the trip home on the ground, not to mention not having to go through the dingbats screaming "baby killers" at anyone in uniform at the San Francisco airport.

The train had an SP dome, which is where I spent most of my time. You can not imagine the joy of getting reacquainted with the American countryside. The Sierras under snow. Moonlight over the desert and creeping across the Great Salt Lake in darkness at 20 mph. But to the subject at hand:

Yes Wyoming is very empty, but the wide open spaces do have a beauty of their own. What is a highlight that you should experience in summertime daylight in either direction is the view of the Front Range as you go parallel to it at a high rate of speed between Cheyenne (OK, now Borie) and Denver. You want to be on the west side of the train. That is right side eastbound and left side westbound. You will also cross Sherman Summit in daylight. In 1971 there was a sign along the track that labeled it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can not imagine the joy of getting reacquainted with the American countryside.

Disclaimer First: I'm not attempting to equate the two conflicts in saying this.

After returning to the United States following 7 months on-the-ground during 1st Persian Gulf War I found a great deal of satisfaction driving the backroads of Western Tennessee and Kentucky in my spare time. Your statement above really resonates with me as I remember that time.

Back on topic - - I have driven across Wyoming on Interstate 80. This summer I'm going to ride the detoured California Zephyr to add the miles. I'm looking forward to making the trip and expect to enjoy the emptiness......of course I am compensating by getting off the train in Denver and going down to the Cumbres & Toltec for a dose of mountain railroading!!!!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe my Overland Route trip count is about six, plus several Evanston Ogden "dinner in the Diner' trips while stationed at Hill AFB. One time, I was even accompanied by a "what's a train" buddy; and as I recall he was quite impressed sitting in the Dome Diner traversing Weber Canyon. He even noted on his own the Devil's Slide.

Of course I'm not going to say "no big deal" about missing a ride over the DRGW, but for a fan I think there is much interesting along the Overland Route (i.e. traditional UP).

You will be "shocked and awed" at the volume of traffic along the Overland. You will observe trains traveling on headway; it is quite simply a rapid transit system for freight.

The Wyoming moonscape has his own awe, are we on earth? You will observe highway traffic on paralleling I-80 and be glad for the freedom a train trip gives you. Of course, it was nicer sitting in a UP 9000 Dome Lounge, and visiting the Dome Diner for the excellent UP cuisine. But, think of the alternative that there would be had the Staggers Act predated the RPSA (Amtrak enabling legislation).

Of course, I'm sorry for anyone who is going to miss out on absolutely the "Grandest' and most spectacular rail ride in the USA (or North America if only the universe of common carrier trains is considered), but if a fan, it will not be a total loss.

Enjoy

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three trips on the Overland Route as a child. 1959, 1963, 1967. I remember wanting to see the engine from the dome lounge of the City of Saint Louis on the 67 trip. I also remember being fascinated with how the dome was over the roofline!!

Three trips on I-80 through the Wasatch and on to the Nebraska racetrack as an adult. On the last one (fall 2000) I caught 3985 WB at North Platte as I was EB.

It's different from Raton; it's different from Moffatt Tunnel and the Colorado headwaters. That does not mean it's not fantastic: It is.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While on an auto trip years ago we stayed in downtown Laramie in an old motel, as close to the tracks as I could find. I loved the sound of the many freights roaring through. In the evening I stood on a footbridge over the UP mainline near the depot. The many speeding trains rushing at, then directly beneath me was an awesome experience. They don't slow down for Laramie.

I am looking forward to riding under that bridge, and through the interesting mountains to the east.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page