RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Remember Reading R. R. "Iron Horse Rambles" trips?

Author Topic: Remember Reading R. R. "Iron Horse Rambles" trips?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember those great Reading Railroad steam-pulled Iron Horse Rambles from Philadelphia to Hershey, PA? I took many of them in the 60's and they were always fully-packed with all 12 passenger coaches filled to capacity. Do you remember what kind of steam locomotive pulled them?
And, how much did they cost?

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thaey were going on when I first dicovered Trains magazine. The engien was a coal burning 4-8-4. I believe they were home built in the Rading company shops. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there with a lot more information that I had. As a high school kid with a 50 cents beyond lunch money per week spending limit, one week per month of which went to buy the Trains, trying to save every nickel possible for college, going to PA and taking a ride on the Reading was just not in the realm of possibilities.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure do; rode one from Jersey City to Zionsville, PA circa 1960.

As always, it was a good four hours late, missing all New Haven RR connections home.

Back then obscene; today with the likes of the Sunset, routine.

Posts: 9986 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page