RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Wednesday March 31 "60 Minutes II" show

Author Topic: Wednesday March 31 "60 Minutes II" show
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumor has it that un the US, "60 Minutes II" will be doing some sort of special on passenger trains in the US.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is reportedly going to be on the vulnerability of our trains to terrorist attacks (safety etc.). I travel on the NEC very frequently and do nearly a daily commute to NYC from Jersey. I am not going to go into details, but I think it is riduculous on how much money our government spent on trying to secure the airlines from terrorist attacks, while our railroads, including Amtrak, are left to fend for themselves. Huge disparity in disburesement of funds. The railroad infrastructure needs to be better protected. You'll never be able to screen passengers, but I think with today's technology, something more could be done.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That dosnt sound good for Amtrak,, Last thing Amtrak needs is for poeple to think there at risk.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree with you both, but I think the public might be more inclined to worry about commuter trains. They are smart enough (I hope) to realize that Al Qaida would not think it worth their while to attach a long-distance passenger train.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably won't get to see that here in New Zealand, which in itself may or may not be a good thing. Please let me know if there's any "useful" stuff that I should be aware of or look out for.
Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I viewed the segment last evening; it was primarily focused on NYMTA rail and transit operations.

No Amtrak spokesmen was interviewed; most on air went to NYPD Cmsnr. Kelly.

All told, the message was lound clear that passenger rail is vulnerable and little can be done to make it more secure from the threat of terrorism. But who expects a 15 minute TV news segment to invent the wheel?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this on the other thread devoted to this topic, so I'll post it here as well....

If you missed the 60 Minutes II piece, you'll find it here:

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/31/60II/main609695.shtml

Long-time members of this forum may recall the mysterious "new member" who, a year or so ago, asked a lot of suspicious questions about derailing techniques.

Those of you who rabidly defended the guy's God-given "right to know" (and your God-given right to help him locate the information he asked for) should pay special attention to the first half of the CBS piece.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live near the mainline tracks of the CSX in northern Florida and almost all Amtrak trains to south Florida pass my house. The baggage car side doors are wide open on 1 out of every 4 trains that pass. What kind of security awareness is that!!?? Any dummy could throw a bomb onto the baggage car at any station or right-of-way in Florida! I've sent Amtrak complaints about this to no avail!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edited, in light of Sheiff's comments below.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 04-02-2004).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pojan and other members,
Please do not talk about such things as car doors or anything else on this forum. I can promise you there are terrorist out there reading everything we write. What the hell are you thinking. Are you trying to get me and my fellow crew members and passengers killed. Wake up! Pay attention to what you write. This is very serious and should not be taken lightly.

Let us not be the eye's and ear's of the terrorist.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Sheriff. That's a point that needs to be restated often. I've had some scenarios pass through my mind that were chilling enough to make me consider contacting the FBI but I would NEVER make them known elsewhere. To other members, please remember that very few of us actually know anything at all about anyone else. There is not only the possibility of of a silent observer here, but any one of us could have evil purposes. "Loose lips sink ships."
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or rather, "Loose brains derail trains."
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one Toy man!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page