RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Deluxe Bedroom "D"

Author Topic: Deluxe Bedroom "D"
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak Guest Rewards is holding Deluxe Bedroom "D" on the Empire Builder SEA/CHI departing on 04/23/04. Is this a good choice? Is there any way to know if the couch will be facing forward or backwards eastbound? It's not a big deal since you also have the moveable armchair but I'd like your opinions, comments.

The agent, Gail, was very accomodating. There has been a small glitch in the transfer of miles from Continental OnePass. I asked them to transfer 30,000 in case we didn't do the trip until after the end of April when the reward goes up 6,000 miles. This was done in two batches. One of 20,000 and one of 10,000. Only the 20,000 has posted to my GuestRewards account. Gail went ahead and printed the ticket and will hold it until the missing miles show up. I contacted Continental and they have their Amtrak liason working on it. A positive experience on both sides.

There will be more questions as we get closer to departure!

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainweb has a good diagram of the Superliner sleeping car layouts.

The Deluxe compartments are identical except for A, which has a little less floor space due to the corner cut.

You won't know for sure which end is the front until you board the train.

The Deluxe sleepers don't have a lot of room for luggage, anything much more then about 5" thick won't fit under the seats, there's a rack over the chair that will hold a standard airline carry-on sized bag. There is a baggage storage rack downstairs.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm going to be on that train on that day. I'll be in a standard bedroom. I'll be wearing the bow tie - say hello!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the car's A end is forward then "D" rides backwards.

It is "flip a coin" if that will be the case.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have always preferred Bedroom D or C when travelling Deluxe. D would definitely be my first choice if the couch is facing in the forward direction. Try and steer away from A and B - closer to the end door and over the trucks. I'd go with D - luck of the draw which way the couch will be facing.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the response so far. We have travelled in "A" and the smaller space was noticeable. Also more noise from the door to the next car.

Guess it's, as you've all said, the luck of the draw on whether we'll be facing forward or back. I thought someone out there might know the usual consist of the Empire Builder. Is there a facility to reverse it in Seattle?

Mr. Black--We'll keep our eyes peeled for the bowtie!

Thanks, again--

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The "missing" OnePass miles were posted on GuestRewards last night and when I spoke to Gail at Amtrak she said the tickets had gone out on Friday. It looks like the OnePass "Amtrak Liason" did follow through as I was promised.

A couple of more questions:

1. Is there anyway to know which of the Menu cycles will be on a particular train on a particular trip?

2. What's an acceptable tip per day for the car attendant? (Two people in a Deluxe Bedroom.) Pros and cons of tipping up front or waiting until the end of the trip? I've tipped half up front with the promise of the other half at the end of the line and that seemed to work well.

3. Is it possible to have your meals in your room? I enjoy meeting new people but there are also times when you'd just like a quiet meal. We'll have six meals on this trip and one or two quiet ones would be nice. What sort of tip to the attendant? (I'm assuming that's who would bring the meal???)

4. Any other specific hints for this route? Things to watch for? I've read a couple of trip reports and it looks like it's going to be lots of fun.

5. How soon before departure from King Street should we be there? We'll be driving down from Lynnwood and will need to allow time to drop of our car.

Thanks in advance.

Frank in SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$ 10 per day for two in a Deluxe room, or $20. This assumes one "gofer" (other than in room meals)per day. Tips are customarily tendered when alighting at destination.

Although the crew is only required to provide room service for mobility impaired passengers, I have seen it done for others. As for tips, this is separate and had best be "heap big wampum". I've never had occasion to ask for in-room service in over 45 years of independent rail travel, but then I've never been much of an afficiando for same even at hotels.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meal or beverage service is available for any passenger utilizing first class service.
It would be considerate to inform your attendant as early as possible that you desire this amenity.
For those not familiar with the "A" or "B" ends of the car, the couch in the "D" bedroom faces the center of the car. If the deluxe bedrooms are in the front of the car the couch will be facing backwards.

Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 04-20-2004).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page