RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Via: The Vancouver Island Dayliner

Author Topic: Via: The Vancouver Island Dayliner
jpenner
Member # 3171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpenner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that The Malahat or Dayliner won't be doing its full run for awhile.

A fire on a trestle in North Nanaimo last night has put the only line north of Nanaimo out of commission.

You can view some photos of the fire at http://www.v3.ca/jamie/trestlefire

Posts: 3 | From: Nanaimo, BC Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has that thing hung on all this time.

I recall the last time I went on a "Love Tub" during 1988, it stopped at Victoria. Since I was less than interested in a "Shore-X" to Butchart Gardens i wnet over to the E&N Depot (if you can call the VIAshack that) and observed the morning NB departure. The Budd car looked like it was on last legs then.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Mannnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

I was ticketed for a Victoria-Courtenay RT next Monday.

Bummer.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An e-mail from VIA Rail stated that the bridge had been repaired and service was back to normal. Following is the body of the message.

VICTORIA – Following a two week disruption in service due to a bridge fire on the E&N Railway north of Nanaimo, VIA Rail Canada's passenger train service is again operating normally between Nanaimo and Courtenay. The rail lines were reopened to rail traffic by the E&N Railway early this morning.

The "Malahat", which makes one round trip per day operating between Victoria and Courtenay, will now resume full service. VIA has been making every effort to minimize delays and inconvenience to its passengers.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpenner
Member # 3171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpenner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reggierail:
An e-mail from VIA Rail stated that the bridge had been repaired and service was back to normal.

Yup. The first train went across it slowly with lots of media and fanfare this morning at about 11:30am. It's nice to hear that old familiar sound again.

Posts: 3 | From: Nanaimo, BC Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jpenner:
[B] Yup. The first train went across it slowly with lots of media and fanfare this morning at about 11:30am. It's nice to hear that old familiar sound again.

If you're in the area I'd appreciate your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with this train.

I made the abbreviated trip Victoria to Nanaimo a week ago Monday and had a great time......although a little amazing that this wonderful little train has managed to survive this long.

Thanks,

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page