RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hotels

Author Topic: Hotels
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any one help me. Is there a web sight, or a list of hotels near Amtrak stations? Thanks for any help.

Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one right on the homepage on Trainweb use the travel link. I have on my web site ones that I have used.

Go to
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

and use the link on my home page..

Good luck,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, Mr. NASCAR, that many a Member would like to help you in addition to myself. Mr. Guenzler's listing is indicative of the help Members here are willing and able to give.

I think first you must define "near", walking distance?, 20 minutes in a taxicab?, etc.

Secondly, your price range would be of great help.

All too many an internet inquiry leaves out pertinent details; it seems to be inquiries to the effect "I'm traveling from my city down South to a place up North...please help me with train tips" are part of the culture.

Most of the major chains have maps showing where their properties are located. Amtrak has a mapquest web resource for each station in the system. Knowing the address of the hotel property in which you are considering and the address of the Amtrak station, will give you the distance between the two.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 04-08-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Chris for the tips. I checked out your suggestions and they are a help. Your web sight is real nice.

Mr. Norman, you are correct. I should have been a little more detailed in my question. I did not know for sure what city I will be traveling to. I have never traveled long distance on a train and was looking to try it out. The city I would travel to would depend on hotel access and train availability, places to eat and some entertainment. From reading post on this sight I am almost sure I would really enjoy train travel. I would be leaving from my home city of Milwaukee and looking to travel an over night trip to some ware I could get a hotel with in walking distance or a 15-20 cab ride. My price range would be up to $75.00 a night. I use mapquest all the time but I did not think of using it for the hotels near a station. Good suggestion.

If anyone else has any suggestions I am open for any.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Nasscarr1720 (edited 04-08-2004).]

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now Mr Bill Nasscarr, we can get some dialog going.

If you are simply looking for an overnight round trip, comprising two rides on trains and overnight in a hotel, why not consider Milwaukee to Bryan Ohio and return. From Milw to Chi, you would be using the frequent Hiawathas. From Chicago to Bryan (sort of near Toledo), you would use the Superliner equipped Capitol Limited (#30). Since, you would only be on the train during waking hours, you could use Coach without any sacrifice of creature comfort. However, the big +++ is that you would be able to have both a full service Dinner going, and a Breakfast (once again full service, food prepared on-board) on your return.

Using Coach, you will have to pay for the meals, but they are not priced "out of sight" @ $25 for Dinner $10 for breakfast (tip but not alcohol considered; however, from one "wino" to another, their List is not "the end of the world').

At Bryan, you will find a hotel (can't recall its name; giggle "Hotel Bryan Ohio") that from the map appears to be in walking distance from the train station; I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be a penny over $50.

The return (#29) is scheduled so you won't have to compromise any portion of a night's sleep.

I do not believe it is wise to quote actual fares at message Forums (in fact, when I once moderated elsewhere, I prohibited it and my successor has concurred); they are readilly available at the Amtrak web site, and so are sample Dining Car Menus. Be sure to check the Rail Sale page for any itinerary you choose to make by Coach; there can be some "heap big wampum" savings.

As for the Bryan trip, I "almost" made it myself last October; it would have been to "join some friends for Dinner" traveling on that same train to Washington. but it didn't go off.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 04-08-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page