RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » which are scenic sides on Pennsylvanian/Three Rivers?

Author Topic: which are scenic sides on Pennsylvanian/Three Rivers?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking the Pennsylvanian from NYC to Pittsburgh and back; this is the same route as the Three Rivers between NYC to Chicago. Can someone tell me which side of the train is most scenic between which points? Based on what I've read, it sounds like the more scenic ride is the right side westbound until Huntingdon, along the Juniata River, and then the left side after Huntingdon to see the Horseshoe Curve and more scenic country. But I am worried I may have this wrong; also, will I be able to change seats, or will it be too crowded? Should I just sit on one side going and the other side coming??? Thanks so much
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pennsylvanian takes the same route as the Three Rivers. WB, Horseshoe Curve is viewed from the Fireman's side, but as I recall over the Middle Div there are better views of the Juniata River from the Engineer's side.

Rockville Bridge accross the Susquehanna is quite a view from either side.

Posts: 9983 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the information.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only know the section from Harrisburg to Lewistown - I have driven that route many times. As you leave Harrisburg heading north, you turn left and cross the Rockville Bridge (the world's longest and widest stone arch bridge opened in 1902). Views south are of the river as it crosses Cumberland Valley and Harrisburg on the left. To the north are the several mountain ridges the Susquehanna cuts through. If you are on the right looking north as you cross the bridge, look for the Little Statue of Liberty mounted on an old bridge pier. I think it is within sight north of the Bridge, but I am not sure.

Stats on the Rockville Bridge:

The bridge is built of sandstone from western Pennsylvania, primarily from quarries in Johnstown and Curwensville. Total weight is 440 million pounds (220,000 tons). Length is 3,823 feet between back walls of the abutments at the springing line. The bridge is made up of two abutments, 47 piers, and 48 arches. Each arch is 70 feet long.

At the far end of the bridge you will turn right and head north along the Susquehanna until you reach the Juniata. The views of the river and mountains will be on your right.

The Three Rivers follows the Juniata on it's left(southern) bank for most of the way to Lewistown with pretty views of the river and hills on your right.

From Lewistown toward Pittsburgh I am less familiar with the terrain, but apparently there are still many good views from the right. Enjoy.

I will be riding the Three Rivers in June on my way to the California Zephyr and Sacramento. I have never ridden it before. But I distinctly remember many trips on route 322 as a child watching the prior passenger trains and then Amtrak. 322 is to on the north side of the river and high up. At night we would see the lights in the passenger cars going along the river.

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page