RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » You dont like it , thats ur problem

Author Topic: You dont like it , thats ur problem
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I dont spell so great, but the last person you need to remind they have a problem is me, I kinda know I have a problem when you all *JUST Have To remind the person THEMSELVES.

I DONT CAR.

OK. So Stop Reminding ME.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonthan
use your your spell check which has been suggested to you MANY times
this is a quality forum

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't sweat it, Jonathon. If the railroad forum was critiquing the works of the great Irish author James Joyce, they would probably have jumped all over him as well.

You obviously go to a lot of trouble to share your experiences with us and your youthful perspective is certainly a breath of fresh air.

While I would certainly take offense from those whose contribution to your education is limited to saying, "use a spell checker," I do believe you should be polite and gracious when somebody goes to a heluva lot of trouble to clean up your prose.

Most editors and teachers would not trouble with the chore of cleaning up messy text unless they were A) paid or B) thought you had potential as a writer.

In short, when somebody sticks out their neck to help you, you should say, "Thank you."

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I think it was Samuel Johnson who said that it is a dull man who only knows one way to spell a word.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good one, TBlack.

Here's another one I once heard. Unfortunately I have no idea who said it:

"Good writers can't spell and good spellers can't write."

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, Mr. Ortiz, but I believe that Mr. Smith did both the Forum and yourself a favor. He also pointed out how you could have done same prior to submitting your otherwise interesting material.

You can still edit your posting by doing as Mr. Smith suggested. Simply copy it to a program such as Notepad that comes with practically any "Windows" computer and use the Tools/Spelling feature.

You would then submit a "professional' posting to a Forum that is probably read by more industry professionals than either you or I know.

Just a thought.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think Jonathan puts some of us long-winded, carry-on sentence types like myself to shame with his brief and to the point posts. Admit it guys, it may bug us, but we sure miss him when he doesn't post for a few days. His enthusiasm and choice of topics really contributes to this forum.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why is is so difficult to use spell check?
there are many out there that read this and other forum's. to make change it has to be taken seriously and when the programing is available... USE IT
i think if Samuel Johnson had spell check he would have used it

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spell Check on this board?
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boyishcolt - dare I suggest that you check your punctuation? "forum's"?

(ducks and runs away quickly)

Anyway, airliners.net has a spell check button, so it is perfectly possible. All we need is to get TrainWeb to add it - and make people use it!

Interesting that a book called "Eats Shoots & Leaves", all about punctuation and grammar, is in the bestsellers lists here at the moment.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
boyishcolt,

Why is is(?) so difficult to use the shift key? There are many out there who read this and other forums (that's "forums" not "forum's." Forum's is the possessive form of "forum," implying ownership.)

Is the energy required to press down the shift key beyond your capabilities, or are you just saving that energy for other activities?

Incidentally, you might profit from the use of a grammer checker.

SEE HOW IT FEELS?

Cordially, Chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 04-13-2004).]

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's give the whole subject of spelling, grammer, etc., a rest. If you do not understand what someone really means, ask, POLITELY. If you can figure it out, appreciate the message and ignore the warts and blemishes on the delivery.

This is trainweb, not grammerspellingweb

So, lets talk about trains and relative matters and leave the other stuff alone.

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 04-14-2004).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon.
When you graduate from high school,you will undoubtably be looking for a job.When you fill out applications,you should be very careful about spelling and grammer.Prospective employers will be checking closely for this.This isn't a slam on you,just some friendly advice.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 04-17-2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be grammarspellingweb
not grammerspellingweb

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page