RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Meals in your room

Author Topic: Meals in your room
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a meal in your room is a subject that has been discussed here before. I read threads and comments about how this should not be done unless you need to because of problems, inconvenience, etc.

Here is my question...

Why would it be wrong to partake of a service specifically offered as part of your accomodation charge? This service is specifically offered by Amtrak on it's website where accomodations are explained. It says, and I quote:

"Along with your Sleeping car accommodations comes personalized service. Your attendant will help you with your baggage, turn down your bed at night, wake you up with coffee and the paper in the morning, and make up your room while you are at breakfast. You’ll enjoy special seating and complimentary meals in the Dining car — or your attendant will serve you in your room."

I would never abuse this service and dinner in the diner is obviously a wonderful experience, but I would like to - at least once - avail myself of this offered service for a relaxing meal in the room. I would also choose my timing appropriately to cause the least trouble possible and tip appropriately.

What do y'all think?

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right - if Amtrak offer it with no strings attached, then having your meal in your room should be a perfectly reasonable request.

And, as you say, time it right so you don't ask the attendant while at, approaching, or just departing a station stop, nor while he is clearly busy with other tasks.

Go for it! (But don't forget to eat in the diner as well)

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our last trip I went to the Sightseer Lounge cafe to get a sandwich for the two of us to split. We didn't have time to get a full meal in the diner, nor did we need one.

When I bought the sandwich the attendant realized I was a sleeping car passenger. He said I should get my food from the diner so I wouldn't have to pay for the sandwich. When I explained the situation, he said "Oh your car attendant will bring a sandwich to your room." I didn't want to hassle with all that at the time, since I then had a sandwich in hand, but it sounded like serving in rooms was a fairly routine procedure.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to some of my first rail experiences (back in the 1980s), I would rather get out of my room and take the meals in the diner. leave the room wervice for the folks who are handicapped. I can just imagine what would happen if certain folks discovered that one could abuse the attendant by demanding meals in the room, when they are able-bodied and capable of getting them selves to the dining car. Besides, you miss that unique opportunity to socialize with the other passengers.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I traveled on the Coast Starlight (8 years ago)the attendant offered us the choice without even asking. We decided to do it. Of course, we tipped nicely at the end of the trip.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your attendant will be happy to get your meal. It gives them a chance to visit with the dinig car crew. Just give him/her advance notice and give them a nice tip when they deliver the meal. A couple extra dollars should come back to you with great service for the rest of the trip.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the above.
The highlight of any Amtrak trip, besides the scenery, in many people's mind is having meals in the dining car. I think Amtrak is in need of great improvements in this regard.
I will be traveling from San Jose, CA, to Seattle, WA, round trip this summer. Because of a much later arrival time for the Coast Starlight, into San Jose, it usually isn't possible to get dinner on the train (scheduled time into San Jose around 8:45 PM). It would be great to have a meal warmed and served in your sleeper car.
The worst experience, for me, on the train is getting thrown into a dining table with undesirables. Why can't they really do a 1st class job and add tables and even additonal dining cars per train? Is it not possible to have tables for 1-2 people? If not, it sure would be nice to have the option of delivering a meal to your sleeping car, even if it would cost extra. Even a meal delivered to your coach car would be nice, if possible.
The cost for a delux bedroom, round trip from San Jose, CA to Seattle, WA is
$ 1,104.00 (!!!). For that kind of money, I think that improved meal services would be justified.
RH

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CG96:
I can just imagine what would happen if certain folks discovered that one could abuse the attendant by demanding meals in the room, when they are able-bodied and capable of getting them selves to the dining car.

It's not abusing the attendant if you desire having a meal in your room. It also has nothing to do with be able-bodied. There are times people want to enjoy a meal in the privacy of their room.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't ask for meals in our room during a recent trip, going sleeping car. The dining car was a nice welcome change and all that. However, I think it is prudent all around to make friends with your sleeping car attendant and dazzle them with your pleasant personality (when they aren't busy of course). Be prepared to tip for meal delivery and I think tipping at the end of your journey is welcome too. I work with the public and I know if someone is pleasant and personable to me I will go the extra mile to help them as opposed to someone who is grouchy and demanding.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page