RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » GPS on Amtrak

Author Topic: GPS on Amtrak
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve been a Train Web reader for many years now, but until recently, I never visited this forum section. I am also an Amtrak fan, having taken extensive train trips since the Mid 80’s. In fact, I’ve even ridden the last runs of the Pioneer through Portland. My wife and I have traveled West Coast, South coast (sunset) North coast, East Coast and many in between. The train travel was usually the reason for the trip. I live in OKC now, and use the Heartland Flyer to get to Fort Worth, and connect to the Nation System. I’m headed to Chicago in July and Philadelphia on the Three Rivers in August.
Anyway, my real reason for posting is to ask about GPS use on Amtrak Trains. I found a short piece posted on the site, but it is not very detailed. Can anyone recommend how best to use a GPS hand held while on the train? I have a Magellan Meridian Gold unit. Any suggestions for map software and how best to use it on a train? I hope to add some posts in the future, but it seems most of the posters I have read are very knowledgeable, and I may not be able to add much. Looks like a great place, though.

Jim Fix
Oklahoma City

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I returned from an Akron to Grand Canyon and back trip and used my GPS handheld unit the whole way. As long as you keep it near the window so it can get 3 satelites in its view you've got map, distance and mph. Very cool.

There are plenty of good mapping programs out there. My unit has 6 mgs of ram so I was able to upload some significant areas, including the topographical map of the Grand Canyon.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats a good, yet afordable gps?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Magellan SporTrak Map (about $200) with a topo of the USA. It will handle about 5.5K worth of map, so I keep the program and map on my laptop, so I can upload the areas we will travel through. (The GPS has a not-too-detailed map of the USA in it already) All of northern Arizona will fit in the GPS, so 5.5k is not too restrictive, and I, too, get the topo of the Grand Canyon on my GPS.

It's interesting following your progress on the train. Especially when your GPS has the track on the map!

When I wake up on the Eagle, somewhere in Arkansas, I can flip on the GPS to find out how far away St Louis is and how fast we are traveling and how soon the Mighty Mississippi will make its appearance.

(9 days and a wake-up until Train Time!!!)

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 04-19-2004).]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check DeLorme's mapping software, most notably Topo USA or 3-D Topo Quads -- those programs are very GPS-compatible, will work on a laptop, and you can also get a GPS unit from DeLorme, I believe, which will accompany the mapping programs. Check out www.delorme.com
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the Magellan Sport Trak Map as well. It made the trip even more fun.

As mentioned, when the track is on the map (usually part of a detailed map that must be uploaded,) it's cool to see who owns/owned the track you're on.

I was amazed at how much 90 mph track there is on #3/4

[This message has been edited by kjkober (edited 04-19-2004).]

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
When I wake up on the Eagle, somewhere in Arkansas, I can flip on the GPS to find out how far away St Louis is and how fast we are traveling and how soon the Mighty Mississippi will make its appearance.

You mean the "Muddy" Mississippi.
Are you from STL, Mike?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I'm from Houston. St Louis is a long station stop and where I get out of the train and smell "yankee" air....

And, yes, that big creek is muddy....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RHerndon
Member # 3072

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RHerndon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich is right on.

My wife and I have taken several Amtrak trips and always enjoy watching our progress on our laptop using a DeLorme Earthmate receiver with their Topo USA 4.0 software (several CDs or one DVD cover the whole country). We also use DeLorme's Street Atlas USA with the receiver. I use a Radio Shack radar detector holder with suction cups to fasten the receiver to the window.

We are leaving on 4/28 for a four-week trip using the North America Rail Pass and will have our GPS onboard along with our laptop, scanner and other "toys" to enhance the journey.

Have fun - Tige

Posts: 6 | From: Paonia, CO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks, for what it be worth, I have learned that GPS may be "a little more' within the railroad industry than simply a "where are we" device for a hobbyist/passenger.

It is my understanding that a group of transportation consultants, obviously with a grant from somewhere, have prepared a report addressing the feasability and cost benefit of scrapping existing signalling in favor of GPS train control.

On that one, simply allow me to say "We Report, You Decide".

Oh, and as far as GPS and I go? Seems like last weekend, on a road trip to Nashville when I was attempting to locate a hotel near Vanderbilt U, the one in my auto directed me to drive right through the middle of the Titan's stadium (didn't that used to be Adelphia Stadium? But didn't it become rather unnamed when it became evident those boys are enroute to the slammer?)!!!!!!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page