RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On 4/18, Standing room only on #156 WAS to NYP

Author Topic: On 4/18, Standing room only on #156 WAS to NYP
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on Amtrak's regional service from New York Penn to Washington Union station and return this weekend. The trip was enjoyable. The trains were clean. The cafe car food was good. Yesterday the return unreserved train #156 to NYPenn was almost at full capacity out of Union Station where it originated. By the time we reached BWI airport passengers were standing. They were not happy. Then another large number boarded in Philadelphia so the aisles were quite full. The consist seems to always be 6 Amfleet coaches and 1 cafe car. The traffic in this corridor is always heavy. If Amtrak had only one or two more coaches on the train I think everyone would have had a seat. Is this because of a lack of available coaches? Does this happen on Surfliners?
Otherwise the trains were clean and food from the cafe was fairly good. Also can someone tell me why there is a single Superliner on a siding somewhere around Wilmington? I know there are Amtrak facilities there, but Superliners are not used on the NE corridor tracks. I think this question was asked before.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 20th Century:
. Does this happen on Surfliners?

Re: Surfliner: I used to see it more often when Amfleet was used, but have not seen it recently since the double-deck California cars were introduced, and Metrolink (L A - Orange Counties) and Coaster (San Diego County) service started.

In '02 I rode the San Joaquin on a Friday (similar cars to Surfliner), and it was full from Fresno north to the Oakland area.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPALMER:
Thanks for the explanation. The double-deck Surfliner coaches probably have more seats than the Amfleet coaches.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres what the Pacific Surfliner looks like:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/phantasrail/usa/images/Dsc_4766e.JPG

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Thanks Jonathon. I knew what Surfliners looked like, BUT very much appreciate your link to a picture. I think they are attractive train sets. If only Amtrak could have enough funding to purchase double-deck coaches similar to the Long Island R.R. they would have enough seating and the design would allow them to fit through the NE Corridor tunnels.

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on a Surfliner with standing passengers, leaving Solana Beach on a Sunday evening after the races at Del Mar were over for the day. (Both the conductor and the cafe car attendant used the P.A. to warn those of us who had boarded in San Diego about the forthcoming crush load situation.) Nobody seemed to mind too much, though, and there were again seats available after Irvine.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page