RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Colorado Railcar?

Author Topic: Colorado Railcar?
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,
Does any one know what the Colorado Railcar is?
There is talk of a new type of rail car that may be coming to the Hiawatha Service serving the Milwaukee-Chicago corridor. Amtrak has issued a request for proposals for new train sets, with the RFP based on the Colorado Railcar design

Thanks Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called the DMU manufactured by Colorado Railcar. I like to call it "Son of RDC".
http://www.coloradorailcar.com/

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks M190 for the info.
Well they look kinda nice. Has anyone ever taken a ride on one of these? Whear are they used. I wounder how they would work for Amtrak?

[This message has been edited by Nasscarr1720 (edited 04-21-2004).]

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking from a UK perspective, where these railcars are the norm in non-electrified areas, they suit the job perfectly. Some aren't keen on the diesel engine under the car but then it's not really that much of a problem - many find it soothing and it actually sends them to sleep! There are no fumes as they are vented above the car.

Operationally, a cab at either end means no run-rounds, no wye-ing, and thus quick turn-around times at terminals. They can be connected in multiple, thus allowing longer trains.

Cheaper to run as the train is powered adequately rather than massively overpowered, like the Danbury loco + 2 coaches.

Journey times are anything from a few minutes to an 8 hour run. Obviously the longer runs tend to have a better service quality, such as more comfortable seats and a small shop or trolley onboard.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nasscarr1720:
Thanks M190 for the info.
Well they look kinda nice. Has anyone ever taken a ride on one of these? Whear are they used. I wounder how they would work for Amtrak?

[This message has been edited by Nasscarr1720 (edited 04-21-2004).]

I understand that the prototype DMU tested quite well over a couple or three weeks, maybe longer, in commuter service on Florida's Tri-Rail (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale) route.

North Carolina's Triangle Transit Authority has looked into the DMU for possible use on the Raleigh-Durham service they are working on as well. I don't know if any test runs have been made in North Carolina and I've not heard from anyone who has ridden it.

Still, it looks like a nice vehicle and I certainly would like to see them in service if their efficiency ultimately means more passenger service.....or prevents the further erosion of US passenger service.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Colorado railcar was on display several months back in Fullerton. I believe it also went for a run locally but I did not ride it; I beleieve some of the others on this board rode it, though.

Large window area great for looking outside but could be rather warm under direct sun.

[This message has been edited by MPALMER (edited 04-21-2004).]

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on display in Salinas last summer. Here's my report on the tour, with many photos: http://hometown.aol.com/toylandmry/dmu.html

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm couriace(I dont know the rite way thats spelled and dont care anyway) to see what Paint Sheame Amtrak woud paint a DMU like that

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CURIOUS
(because I care about your edyookayshun.)

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy,
Great report. It sure help me understand what they may be bringing to Milwaukee. Great photos to. What kind of camera did you use?

Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing a little more research on my states DOT sight I found out that one of the DMU car was hear in Milwaukee open to the public. I did not even hear about it..
Hear is the link if anyone would like to read about it.
Bill
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/news/news/2003general/opa-coloradorail410.htm

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are unsubstantiated reports that it will be on the Princeton to Princeton Jnc shuttle over the next few days, under test by NJT.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Colorado railcar from a distance at Philadelphia's 30th St. Station on Friday, April 16 when I was on train #95 traveling to Washington D.C..
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nasscarr1720:
Mr Toy,
Great report.....Great photos to. What kind of camera did you use?

Thanks. Canon S-50 digital. Better than film, IMHO.

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you guys see this!
http://www.coloradorailcar.com/double-deck-dmu-home.htm

Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Thanks Mr. Toy for the info on the Canon S-50 digital camera. I am a photographer also but still use film. I am slowly moving to digital. I shoot mostly weddings. Last year I did buy a nice digital video camera.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page