RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train - They Way All Amtrak Trains Should Be

Author Topic: Auto Train - They Way All Amtrak Trains Should Be
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from a round trip on the Auto Train. After a cross country trip on the Capitol Ltd and SW Chief last year and multiple trips on the Silver Meteor, I must say that Auto Train is almost like a different side of Amtrak. The equipment was spotless, with no signs of duct tape on doors and latches. There were friendly crews, good food, prompt service in the diner, etc. etc.

By coincidence we had the same trainset both directions. I guess we hit the rotation just right. Southbound we had bedroom B in an all-deluxe bedroom Superliner II - the "W. Graham Claytor". One of the nice features of this car is a wider space at the top of the stairs. There was a small cabinet and counter here that held cream, sugar, etc. for coffee. And there were paper ice buckets in this car for your room. And no styrofoam ice coolers on the floor! The ice was in the cabinet marked "ice" under the coffee urn. On the return we were also in bedroom "B" on a standard Superliner II. Note: no extra noise or rough ride in "B" - it was as nice as trips in a "D" room last year on the trip out west.

The trainset had 15 passenger cars and 26 auto carriers, plus two locomotives. I overhead a radio report from a trackside detector that measured us at over 3600 feet long. We maintained track speed (70 mph?) for most of the trip.

Interesting that there are two diners for the coach passengers. I guess they need the space to move folks through. Southbound there were 150+ pass. and 70+ autos) and we had two seatings for dinner: 5:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Northbound with a full train (440 pass. 220+ autos) we had three dinner seatings: 5, 7 and 9 p.m. Coach and sleepers had different menus, but they are the same north and southbound.

Any questions, let me know!

[This message has been edited by dcfan (edited 04-29-2004).]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an Auto Train veteran myself with thirteen trips "over the years" plus one on the private AT, I concur with Mr. DC Fan that AT is Amtrak's "best LD foot forward".
Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page