RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » HELP!

Author Topic: HELP!
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't panic BUT when I first went to the Amtrak site earlier this year and tried the Los Angeles to Montreal trip it worked fine. I then went to my travel agent who purchased the tickets.

I just checked the Amtrak site again and there's a problem in that the Lake Shore limited arrives at 11:24am on the 12th June and the Adirondack leaves at 10:48 am!!! This means the Lake Shore Limited even if on time will now be 36 minutes LATE!! The original plan had 4 hours between the Arrival of the LSL and the departure of the Adirondack. Who and why was this changed?

I need to be on that train to get into Montreal on the 12th of June. Any ideas people on how I can get to Montreal if it's really true and I can't catch the Adirondack?

[This message has been edited by Rheboi (edited 04-30-2004).]

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUS

You are right. For some wierd reason, Amtrak broke the connection, but eastbound only. It still exists westbound.

Now to your eastbound problem: There is a solution. It is called Go Greyhound. You can make all your arrangements at www.greyhound.com.

Here is what I have found: Schenectady gives you a very short distance between train and bus, 0.36 miles per Mapquest. The bus then goes to Albany, and you have to change for Montreal. You can reduce this by taking the train to Rensselaer, but then you have a 1.9 mile taxi ride to the bus station in Albany. Bus stations: 322 Erie Blvd, Schenectady, phone 1-518-346-6113; 34 Hamilton St., Albany, phone 1-518-434-8461.

Train 48:
Ar Schenectady 11:38am
Ar Rensselaer 12:30am (shown as leaving time)

Here are the bus schedules:
Bus schedule no. 9670 0257
Lv Schenectady 1:45pm 3:15pm
Ar Albany----- 2:10pm 3:45pm
Lv Albany----- 2:50pm 4:15pm
Ar Montreal--- 8:20pm 10:15pm
There are also later busses.

Maybe not as great as arriving by train, but it saves your trip. At least the return is still there. Return train times are:

Train 68/70 (do not remember your return day)
Lv Montreal--- 9:50am
Ar Schenectady 4:23pm
Ar Rensselaer- 5:05pm
Train 49
Lv Rensselaer- 6:00pm
Lv Schenectady 6:30pm
Ar Chicago---- 8:55am

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weekend northbound Adirondack train is now running earlier than what it used to. A little odd. In addition, the LSL had additional time added to its eastbound run (let alone leaving Chicago 20 minutes later).
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maing connections north of Albany from the LSL has been the bane of my existence. I think the times are different in summer & winter on the Adirondack because they are catering to weekend ski traffic from NYC. - but it doesn't help when you've planned on a connection that has disappeared. Any possibility of making a connection from Chicago thru Detroit & then on VIA to Montreal? I haven't looked & don't know what the time requirements are, but maybe worth investigating?
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've already paid for this trip. I wonder if Amtrak will refund the Adirodack trip that I can no longer take because they changed the timetable?

I was really looking forward to that part of the trip too!

I'll check out the Bus as I have to be in Montreal Saturday Night at the latest.

Would the fact that I had a guaranteed connection mean that they have to fix this problem?

Also at the Greyhound site there are many Montreal's to pick from. Which one do I want that gets me to somewhere near the train station?

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you are not in the US currently, Amtrak hasn't contacted you. As soon as you are in the US, discuss your options with an agent ASAP. Any segment of your trip which you cannot take will be refunded if your trip was priced by segment (as opposed to a rail pass). The agent will take the ticket for that segment and give you a receipt for the refund which will be credited to your card (assuming that's how you paid).
Let us know how you make out.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
I've got a rail pass I think... I'm not sure where this leaves me but I'm beginning to get angry!

When I first booked this trip it all worked, with up to 4 hour overlaps to allow for trains being late. I know 4 hours is not much but I've been watching the trains lately and they've been on schedule give or take an hour so I would have been ok.

Now effectively I'm being dumped in a strange city (for me) leaving me to find my own way to my journeys destination.

It looks like the bus leaves from Albany and I think the LSL goes through Albany so it should not be too much problem sorting that out.. it's just extra money I now have to find... damn this is wrong... Amtrak have turned a big part of the trip from something I was looking forward to, to something I'm dreading.... I could understand accidents etc but deliberate sabotage of my trip is wrong... wonder if my insurance covers this?

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the new schedules yet, but where were you planning on connecting from #48 to #69? Can you still make the connection in Schenectady?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A website review a few moments ago showed that the EB connection at Schnectady has been "broken" all days of the week. Previously, it was "good' on Sat and Sun when The Adirondack operater on a later schedule.

WB remains "good' Daily.

It would appear that the only alternatives are either to add a day to your trip and schedule an overnight somewhere between Schnectaday and New York or at Schnectady, hoof it on over to the *** pound. A third likely impractical alternative would be to arrange a one-way auto rental, but considering this is international travel, I would guess that option is a non-option.

Oh well, just to make sure I covered 'em all, I guess you could always hire a livery car, and of course "off we go into the wild blue yonder..."

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
I had planned on being in Montreal Saturday. The trip I booked and payed for allowed for this. Now Amtrak have decided to change the schedule I can't catch the Adirondack because it leaves Schnectady before I get there. I can't stay overnight in NY because I have to be in Montreal no later than Saturday night and if the schedule had not been changed I would have.

I can't do a rental car as I don't drive LHD cars on the right hand side of the road. We here in NZ drive on left side of the road in RHD cars. I would not trust myself to drive in US. Also the cost would be too much.

I've already paid for my train trip that was supposed to get me to Montreal Saturday night.

From what I see the LSL does go through Albany so I should go there and get to Greyhound and hope I can get a bus that will get me to Montreal.

I know there are conductors that are on this site and there may be people who can talk to somebody at Amtrak who cares, could you find out what is going on and what happens to me now they've changed the schedule?

I emailed Amtrak immediately and got the automated response that says I'll be answered in 24 hours... 2 days later and still no response....

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the Lakeshore Limited # 48 to Utica, New York and get off the train there at 10.21 AM. there is a railroad display there and the Adirondack Scenic Railroad is also at that station. Next at 11.42 AM take the Maple Leaf #63 to Toronto arriving there at 7:44 PM. If it is not Saturday then you can take Via #50 at 11:30 PM overnight to Montreal arriving at 8:10 AM. I hope this solves your problem.

If your trip would get you to Toronto on a Saturday night please E mail me for another option but I need more details of your trip.

Chris

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 05-02-2004).]

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
The original plan saw me fly in on the 9th and arrive in Montreal on the 12th and was all going well until Amtrak changed one connection.

I'm planning on going to the Formula One race at the Giles Villneuve circuit on the 13th. I was to meet friends at the train station on the night of the 12th so I could get my ticket.

Arriving on the 13th will generally mean I miss it. Also the people I'm supposed to meet will be travelling with me down to Indiapolis for the US Formula One race. If I can't meet up with them I'm seriously lost@!

I'm still waiting for a response from Amtrak and I've also put a rocket up my travel agent here to see what we can do...

Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
If it's not too much trouble, could somebody phone Amtrak and ask them what is going to happen with the change in schedule?

Are they planning on making me wait another night, meaning I then have to bus or have they got alternative transport planned?

Ringing them from here in New Zealand is too expensive and I believe you have a toll-free number you can use?

I've emailed Amtrak and have not had a response which is a bit poor.

1-800-872-7245

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your phone rates. It might not be as expensive as you think. Question to everyone else: What times of the day or week are you least likely to spend a long time on "hold"?

However, it used to be that we could not reach "800" numbers at all from here (Taiwan). Now we can, but we have to wait through a recording that states that we will be charged at the regular international calling rate. Since the recording is in English, I believe that the change must be on the US end. (If it was on this end, the recording would most likely be in Chinese.)

When we first arrived in this place (1990), a weekly call to each side's parents plus a random occasional call otherwise usually got us a US$300.00 to $350.00 phone bill. Now with children and others in the states, we make probably 25 to 50 calls to the US a month without getting a phone bill above the $200.00 range.

Phone rates follow no obvious logic, however. It is cheaper to call the US from here than anywhere else, and that includes Hong Kong and the Philippines, both less than 500 miles from the nearest point on this island.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
I just got an email from Amtrak....

I had requested information on why they had broken my connection and what, if anything Amtrak was going to do so I could get to Montreal on the 12th as originally planned and paid for...

Amtraks reply was....

Wait for it....

Thank you for contacting us.

Amtrak does not permit changes to reservations via the Internet. Discount fares
are limited and sell out quickly.

If you need to change your reservation, please call us immediately at
1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) from the United States and Canada. Outside the
United States you can reach us at 215-856-7952

I'm totally lost for words....

Customer service for Amtrak right now makes .5 out of 100 ... could do much better, it's like the respondant did not even bother ro read my message.

Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Progress at last! After sending them a scud email I got this reply...

Dear,

Thank you for contacting us.

We apologize for the confusion. We mistook your previous
e-mail message to be an inquiry about the possibility of changing
your existing reservation.

We have forwarded your message to our International Sales
Department. Someone will contact you

I can hardly wait!

Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Phew!

Finally I was contacted by the "International" booking side of Amtrak. I was told I have 3 options:

A: stay overnight in SDY... No thanks, I'm not going to miss my F1 race! Not an option!

B: Get off in Buffalo and catch a Bus to Montreal $95US Sounds .. ok, but will I see any Buffalo in Buffalo or will they be Bison and the REAL Buffalo are in a place called... Bison?

C: Full refund - that certainly won't get me to Montreal for my F1 race! Not a viable option there... Puh-lease!

Before I could pick option B I got another email telling me I should stay on the train until Schnectady, get off and the Greyhound bus station is 3 blocks away? I'm sure somebody in this forum told me that! Anyway the trip on Greyhound from SDY is $45 so that's what I'm going to do...

This is the bit I like!! LOL

I then sent a thank-you back to Amtrak (I really am a NICE person! Really!) and said due to the hassle of missing my connection surely the least Amtrak could do is upgrade my LSL service to sleeper (could only afford sleeper on Chief)

Well I'm often told if ya don't ask you'll never know... LOL

Now I do... they have upgraded my LSL service to sleeper!!

So I may have been a bit harsh on those WONDERFUL people in the Amtrak booking office, those HARD working souls of the railroad so EVERYBODY here read it that I am 100% satisfied with Amtrak so far! LOL

Once again in the immortal words of Sherlock Holmes....

"The game is afoot!"

My adventure to Montreal etc is back on "track"!

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what a great gesture. Very nice of them indeed.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
I suppose the fact that I'm no longer on the Adirondack and have to pay an extra $45 for the bus trip weighed in my favour Mr. Toy but I'm happy.

I'm told they have showers in the cars so I'm hoping before I get off the train and find the bus I can have a shower (I'm never 100% awake until I have my morning HOT shower)

What are the showers like on the trains Mr. Toy? I've never seen one? I'm sure they're not the "highlight" of any tour but still would like to know...

Your trip sounded amazing!!

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be in a Viewliner sleeper, and the shower is located at the end of the car across from the sleeping car attendant's bedroom. The shower room consists of a change area and a separate shower stall. In the shower you will find one of those hand-held nozzles that will emit a weak-stream of lukewarm water. On rare occasions, the water may warm up to semi-hot but that is about the best you can expect. Also I would strongly advise that you inform the attendant that you want to use the shower as I have noticed that they often use the shower room for storage. As well ask him for a proper towel as the ones in your bedroom are really tiny. Also be advised that sometimes the showers are out of order (this has happened to me on more than one occasion). I am assuming that Amtrak is giving you a standard bedroom, if you are lucky enough to have a deluxe, you will have your own private shower. P.S. at one time Amtrak provided a shower kit to its sleeping car passengers, with soap, shampoo, towel etc., but I believe they no longer do this. On the other hand since you are going to Canada, perhaps you should try Via Rail. The Canadian has really great showers with lots of hot water.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few points come to mind.

Regarding Mr. Royal's report, I also once "caught" an attendant (not a very good one in any manner) on the Lake Shore turning the shower room into a luggage area. I simply removed the pieces and took my shower. If he didn't like it, sorry bout that.

If one's idea of a shower is a "Niagra Falls torrent" of water complete with a 'Water Pik" massager head, then I guess you will be disappointed. But in my experiences, I have found the water flow to be of adequate pressure and temperature to be properly cleansed. There has always been an adequate supply of soap, toiletries and towells available.

However, considering the finite supply of water, one should be mindful of "waste not, want not".

To date "I'm batting a thousand" with Amtrak showers.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-08-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks for the advice on the showers. To Gilbert B Norman I have a sleeper on the SW Chief and due to the lost connection I have been upgraded to sleeper on the LSL!! As far as I know then I should have acces to showering facilities. Plus I think I am correct in saying I won't have to pay extra for food! Yahoo!

My trip back to LA on the SW Chief is coach so I envisage no showering 8-(( but such is life. I'm told as of now there is only one sleeper available on the trip back and the cost is prohibitive for me.

This is not really a big problem. I'm sure I'll be fine.

I really can't wait for this trip to happen!

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rheboi:
What are the showers like on the trains Mr. Toy?

I've never used a train shower myself. My trips have never been omore than one night, so I could easily shower before leaving and after arriving.

I've only seen the Superliner showers. The public ones are quite spacious, with a full size stall and an adequate sized changing area. I usually see bath towels available in the changing room. The Deluxe bedroom showers are a joke. The toilet compartment doubles as the stall, and there is only about 18" square of floor space. No elbow room to speak of. I think if I had a Deluxe room I'd probably use the public shower anyway.

I seem to recall on one trip on the CZ that attendant was using the shower space to store dirty bed sheets in the final hours before we reached Emeryville.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I then sent a thank-you back to Amtrak (I really am a NICE person! Really!) and said due to the hassle of missing my connection surely the least Amtrak could do is upgrade my LSL service to sleeper (could only afford sleeper on Chief)

Now I do... they have upgraded my LSL service to sleeper!!

My adventure to Montreal etc is back on "track"![/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent news!

I was wondering earlier today if there had been any resolution to your broken connection. This solution should at least get you where you need to be when you need to be there......and the upgrade on the Lake Shore Limited is a very nice gesture. Good for you for thinking to ask.

Make sure you tell us how your trip went once it's over.

You're Departing Los Angeles June 9th right? Seems like I remember that you would be heading east on the Chief the same day I'm going to be leaving Sacramento for Denver on the California Zephyr.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 05-08-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
"Make sure you tell us how your trip went once it's over."

I will do my best, I've already written pages on why and how this trip started. I've got to edit it down a bit, add the travel story with some pictures, hopefully some video and get it up on the internet!

"You're Departing Los Angeles June 9th right?"

That's the plan!

"Seems like I remember that you would be heading east on the Chief the same day I'm going to be leaving Sacramento for Denver on the California Zephyr."

Hope you have a good journey!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page