RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Sunset Limited

Author Topic: The Sunset Limited
chucktxa
Member # 3108

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for chucktxa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've ridden the Sunset Limited 3 times in the last year, and have dealt with major glitches on each occasion. Last time was the worst.

Just before pulling into Alpine Texas, the conductor annouced that a derailment near El Paso had caused major track damage, and we'd be bussed from Alpine to El Paso. The buses were to arrive at 1:30 PM, but didn't pull in until 8 that night (no explanation from Amtrak staff). And, we rode to Tucson, not El Paso, and got to Ontario California 8+ hours late.

That was a couple of months ago, but it appears things haven't improved a lot. I checked the Website yesterday, and it showed the SL getting into LA 8 hours late. I've also seen that it's got the worst on-time record (0.0%) of any Amtrak train.

I love riding trains, I support Amtrak, and I'm willing to endure a few inconveniences. If I get somewhere a couple of hours late, I can deal with that. But to me, 8 hours late is beyond the pale, even for a leisure traveler.

In my opinion, Amtrak needs to decide what it wants to do with the SL. Either work with UP to fix the glitches and delays, go to daily service (so people don't have to plan their trip around a thrice-weekly schedule), or drop the route altogether.

Posts: 3 | From: Austin, TX 78728 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Alpine incident you note< Mr. Chuck, involved #1(24FEB).

I was aboard for that one (RM 12 Car 0131) Orlando-New Orleans. While it arrived NO 1'45" late, it departed on time and I believe it was "more or less" on time when it was annulled at Alpine resulting from a freight derailment somewhat East of El Paso.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife & I rode the SL from LAUS to Orlando (almost) on 4/2.
The train was terminated at Sanford and all remaining passengers were put on a bus at 5am for the final 21 miles to Orlando. Instead of arriving at 645pm we arrived in Orlando the next morning at 545am (11 hours late).
We met many passengers on this train who said that they would "never take the train again".
Passengers are not concerned whether it's Amtrak or UP that is causing the delays. Passengers expect and deserve to arrive at their destination within a reasonable arrival time. When Amtrak cannot provide basic services they will continue to lose passengers.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this "continuing to lose passengers"? Who said Antrak was losing passengers?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest that a review of June TRAINS, From The Editor, column be a required prerequisite before posting to this topic.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall ridership numbers have increased. However, many passengers who experience excessive delays, poor service, etc., do not return. It is in that regard that Amtrak suffers a loss of passengers.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is quite dissappointing to read these and other comments regarding Amtrak. Most non-railfans are unaware that Amtrak doesn't own the tracks, and that UP either is doing their level best to get rid of Amtrak - or UP's cost of capital is so great that it can't afford to double track the entire Sunset Ltd. Line. I would point out that most trains don't suffer the same mistreatment that the Snset is subjected to from UPRR. One expereince on one route isn't enough to draw generalizations about the entire system. UP, and the US public in general, must decide sooner or later if a public utility is desired, or a for-profit enterprise running at next to full capacity. If the latter, expect to see more of what the past few years have brought us: more light- to medium-density lines either sold to shortlines or removed from service, with no growth (unless it is something the size of the Powder R. projects). If the former, then we may expect to see more and more federal gov't intervention and funding, perhaps to the point that we might see the "open access" come to fuition. By Open Access I mean where the DOT would purchase tracks, and anyone with an engine would be able to use them for a fee.

I digress, however. I think that UP is very uncomfortable with Amtrak, because the Sunset puts a certain RR's operational deficiencies on public display - with Amtrak and the passengers as its victims. I mean, come on, did anyone see the O-T-P posted for April? The sunset had 0 %. Not once did that train arrive on time. Amtrak reps are rumored to have a meeting with the UP brass sometime this month (note that I wrote that this was a rumor). Perhas what is needed is for something like what happened years ago, where there were Congressional hearings about how the passenger trains were handled over the Sunset Route. Passengers (even train enthusiasts like myself) have an expectation that they will arrive at there destination within a reasonable amount of time - not 12 - 14 hours late (like what happened to the Sunset a couple of days ago).

Chucktxa, you have my condolensces. If I were in the same situation, I, too would feel much the same, if not more displeased. While I would not go so far as to recommend the dissolution of Amtrak based upon one single experience, perhaps the time has come to take the Sunset off of UP rails, and put it as much as possible on to BNSF. Perhaps another solution would be to discontinue the Sunset E of NOL, and replace that portion with the another train, like what was done in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

PS: As of April 30, the Sunset arrived into LA over 16 hours late. It got interference from CSX E of NOL, and never rcovered the time. Of course, once it got on to UP rails, there was no hoipe whatsoever. This is inexcusable. UP needs to spend some of its next capital improvement budget on getting the Sunset route double tracked. Very dissappointing. It makes me wonder if UP gets anything anywhere on time.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 05-01-2004).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chucktxa
Member # 3108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chucktxa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply and comments, CG96. I've not given up on Amtrak at all (I was on the Texas Eagle last week; nice trip), but I can't see riding the SL until they can at least come close to being on time. I've been aware of at least some of the problems caused by UP on that route (they caused us a bit of grief on the Eagle as well), but my fear is that first time passengers will ride the SL and will never want to ride Amtrak again. I encountered a few such people on my last trip out west.

On the plus side, most onboard personnel I've encountered (not only on the Sunset but the Eagle as well) do a hell of a job under some very trying circumstances, not only with delays, but with equipment that's starting to show its age.

Plus, I always keep another thing in mind: none of my rides on the SL have been nearly as bad as one I took in the summer of '69, when SP still ran it. The air conditioning didn't work, the seats were stuck in either upright or reclining positions, and the only place to get food was in the "Automat Car". I had a Fresca and a bag of Cheetos for breakfast; that's all I could get out of the vending machines.

Posts: 3 | From: Austin, TX 78728 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first experience with Amtrak (but not with trains) was on the Sunset from San Antonio to Fla. Trains are great but the delays are not. Thanks to this board I knew that the Sunset would most probably be late. I boarded late and arrived late but it was still great. Riding the Sunset gives new meaning to the old saying that "sh*t happens".
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how often the Sunset arrives in Orlando? CK said that his train terminated at Sanford and everyone was sent by bus to Orlando. Last December that happened to me, and I had to ride a van the last few miles to Winter Park arriving finally at 4am. I was told that the Sunset is actually serviced in Sanford and then sent deadhead to/from Orlando to pick up passengers. So when it is running extremely late they just throw off the passengers in Sanford, and later that morning deadhead to Orlando to pick up its w/b passengers.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Two points come to mind after having reviewed this discussion.

First, the conditions encountered by Mr. chuck during his reported 1969 Sunset trip were probably the catylist that brought about ICC ex-parte 287, which, in pertinent part, imposed standards of service upon the SP's Sunset.

However, once imposed, and also reducing the train to its never changed present day tri-weekly frequency, I sincerely believe the SP lived up to the promulgated standards of service.

Based upon a Dec 1970 NO-El Paso ride, I found first that the SP was willing to hold for a late L&N Pan American (transfer was made at the former Carrolton Ave station). By Houston, #1 was one hour late. However, next day, with deft train dispatching that literally "cleared the railroad", El Paso arrival was comofrtably on time.

As for on board, Sleeping car service had been restored, including the NY-LA through car. Full dining service offering SP's excellent cuisine was there (so was the Automat for those who cared to partake of such) and equipment was immaculately clean.

I have had few problems with SP service and, as I have noted at a posting at another board, I believe their passenger service got a "bum rap".

Meanwhile, back to present day reality--

Secondly, I'm waiting for the day to come when Amtrak will no longer guarantee connections with the Sunset anywhere, save the through cars comprising 421-422. I may also expect to see disclaiming notations in the Amtrak TT, such as appeared during "wreck of the Penn Central' days with regard to the en-route delays expected.

Bertoli
Member # 3217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bertoli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone please direct me to a site that lists Amtrak's "On Time Percentages" for its trains...

I've booked the family on the Sunset Limited from Orlando to New Orleans and the the City of New Orleans from NO up to Illinois in early June.

I'd like to get a feel for what a realistic arrival time might be as compared to what Amtrak's actual schedule lists...

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Having made the connection 1-NOL-58 twice in as many years, I think that one is safe.
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info:

Amtrak On-Time Performance for March 2004

Amtrak On-Time Performance Trends and Hours of Delay by Cause

Since the percentage of late trains doesn't tell you how late the trains actually are, this really doesn't tell you what you want to know, your best bet is to follow the status of the trains your going to take using the Amtrak website over a period of time.

I've got a trip planned on #14 connecting with #28, since I observed that #14 consistantly misses the 1:05 "guaranteed" connection I decided to schedule an overnight in Portland.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bertoli
Member # 3217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bertoli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information, this will be the first trip for the family on Amtrak. I'm optimistic that we'll enjoy the experience...
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal trip log is still missing the El Paso - San Antonio portion of the Sunset Route.

I almost got it in July 2002 going from Los Angeles to Ft. Worth in the 422 sleeper.

However, there was a UP derailment east of El Paso (same song...different year...) and #2 was annulled in El Paso. No charter buses had been located by the time we arrived in El Paso even though rumors had been spreading among passengers about the derailment since leaving Tucson hours earlier. We were invited to "use the train as a hotel" until buses could be rounded up.
(Through Sunset passengers wound up on the motionless train all night......those connecting to the Texas Eagle were placed on buses after 'only' 6 or 7 hours waiting in El Paso.)

Not wanting to spend 600 miles riding overnight on a packed bus, I managed to catch a cab to the airport (with 4 other Amtrak expatriots) and flew Southwest Airlines to Dallas that night. Of course as a walk-up pasenger flying one way I managed to be 'randomly' selected for additional security screening.

I'm not sure if there is a solution for the Sunset Limited. Nothing has ever really seemed to do the job going back 33 years now.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset situation is disheartening to everyone I know at Amtrak as well as to we railfans. The station agent job where I live was abolished last week so now when people arrive after dark on a 12 hour late train, they will have no means of hailing a cab if they don't have a cell
phone. There will be nobody to resolve problems or make refunds when #2 is so late that it misses its connection to #92 at Jacksonville and so on.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset never ran separately east of New Orleans since it was extended to Florida 10 years ago except when operating conditions dictated a stub train or once in awhile when #2 was so late that a stub train was run NOL-Miami or Orlando. In the pre-Amtrak days the SCL ran the Gulf Wind between NOL and JAX. We then suffered aver 20 years with no passenger service through North Florida. Amtrak needs to run a daily train between NOL and Miami (or one that reliably connects at JAX) using equipment from the City of New Orleans that lays over in NOL for 22 hours. Then when the Sunset is terribly late, its passengers can stay overnight at NOL and connect to Florida a day later.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset is serviced at Sanford, FL so it deadheads between there and Orlando after the arrival of #2 and before the departure of #1. The train terminates and sometimes originates at Sanford when extreme lateness of #2 makes it impossible to get the required crew rest without greatly delaying #1 by running to and/or from Orlando.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
The Sunset never ran separately east of New Orleans since it was extended to Florida 10 years ago except when operating conditions dictated a stub train or once in awhile when #2 was so late that a stub train was run NOL-Miami or Orlando. In the pre-Amtrak days the SCL ran the Gulf Wind between NOL and JAX. We then suffered aver 20 years with no passenger service through North Florida. Amtrak needs to run a daily train between NOL and Miami (or one that reliably connects at JAX) using equipment from the City of New Orleans that lays over in NOL for 22 hours. Then when the Sunset is terribly late, its passengers can stay overnight at NOL and connect to Florida a day later.

I agree that it would be really nice if NOL-ORL or MIA service were operated as a separate train. If this 'new' Gulf Wind were only offered tri-weekly schedules could at least be adjusted a bit to increase the layover time in New Orleans........like schedule #2 in three or four hours earlier and the 'new' Gulf Wind out two or three hours later.....something like that would reduce the number of misconnects.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 05-03-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was less than 10 years ago that the SL ran to Miami - with not much a later arrival time than the current scheduled arrival time into Orlando!

I assume, like BNSF, that UP receives incentive payments for running Amtrak on time. Those incentives are worth millions to BNSF every year, so I was told at their Network Ops Center near Fort Worth. So they aim to run the trains on time (and they often do). Now, either UP don't care, or the incentive payments are so insignificant as to be worthless to a company with a multi-million (billion?) dollar turnover. Does anybody know for sure?

In any case, remember the old adage. A late train just gets later.

Geoff M.

PS Thought for the day. UK on time performance over the last year was better than both Germany and France. Hmmm. And it's the UK railways that are supposed to be in bad shape.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Interesting comments by Notelvis and Geoffm. The problems with adjusting the schedule of the Sunset is that it does a lot of connecting business with the Coast Starlight and can't leave L.A. earlier. One alternative would be to route connecting passengers via a San Joaquin and, egads, Ambus from Martinez to L.A. which would allow #2 to depart at least a couple hours earlier. This scenario would still allow most points to connect either via the San Joaquins or a Surfliner but would perhaps turn some people off as they'd have to ride coach and a bus all day. The main negative impact would be on San Antonio which would be scheduled in the wee hours.

A restored NOL-Florida Gulf Wind would not be able to leave New Orleans any later than #2 is currently scheduled as 10:30pm is late enough.

The sad thing is that for the first couple years (at least) #2 was usually fairly timely here in North Florida. It left L.A. at the same time as now and ran all the way to Miami, normally arriving before midnight. Now it is hard pressed to make Orlando by then.

Trains magazine has a decent article about the semi-meltdown at UP.

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SL ran from Miami between 1993 and 1997, at which time it was shortened to Sanford. The reason was a cost-cutting measure, designed to eliminate the final crew change, since most of the passengers were boarding in central Florida. The following year it was extended to Orlando, in an attempt to better serve that market.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
Interesting comments by Notelvis and Geoffm. The problems with adjusting the schedule of the Sunset is that it does a lot of connecting business with the Coast Starlight and can't leave L.A. earlier. One alternative would be to route connecting passengers via a San Joaquin and, egads, Ambus from Martinez to L.A. which would allow #2 to depart at least a couple hours earlier. This scenario would still allow most points to connect either via the San Joaquins or a Surfliner but would perhaps turn some people off as they'd have to ride coach and a bus all day. The main negative impact would be on San Antonio which would be scheduled in the wee hours.

A restored NOL-Florida Gulf Wind would not be able to leave New Orleans any later than #2 is currently scheduled as 10:30pm is late enough.

Trains magazine has a decent article about the semi-meltdown at UP.

Good points all and I agree that 10:30pm is pretty much as late of an eastbound departure from New Orleans that would be practical.

Making an earlier number 2 from Los Angeles work connection-wise would probably require the return of an overnight train from Sacramento and the Bay Area to LAX. ('Spirit of California' anyone?)

Essentially, messing with the schedule is merely a bandaid though. It does nothing about the root cause which has always been, and continues to be, absolutely horrible timekeeping.....and padding the schedule hasn't done much good either.

------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I concur with the points noted by Mr. Chatter regarding discontinuance of the Sunset ORL-MIA, however, as I once learned privately, there was one additional factor in the decision as well - namely labor matters.

When the Superliner equipment started running to Miami, someone "in their omnipotent wisdom' decided that the shop forces at Hialeah were not qualified to maintain the Superliner equipment and, owing to turnover and other factors best not discussed at a public message board, it wasn't "worth it" to conduct training classes to qualify the mechanical employees holding seniority at that facility on Superliner equipment.

Accordingly, mechanical employees were "pulled" from other facilities about the system to service the Superliner equipment when such was at HIA. This not only resulted in transportation, meals, and lodging being paid to the employees being "shipped in", it also resulted in disruption of their personal lives. Anyone having done it knows how business travel has a way of "getting old" usually after about a year of doing it with any regularity!!

While I do not condone in any way incidents of sabotage and even violence this practice reportedly brought about, I do condemm the responsibilities at Amtrak that chose to publicly tell a class of employees within the mechanical crafts that "you aren't good enough". Anyone here who has participated in "leadership seminars/workshops" over the years knows you "praise in public, criticize in private'; somebody back then, broke those rules.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-04-2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page