RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Travelogue, part 1 is up!

Author Topic: Travelogue, part 1 is up!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At last! I have uploaded the first half of our latest Train Travel Tale. Pages 1 and 2, comprising our northbound journey, are ready for public consumption here http://hometown.aol.com/toysontrax/starlight0204/starlight-feb04p1.html

I hope to have time to upload pages 3 and 4 within a few days. Until then the links to those pages won't do anything.

I am also hoping to add a few video clips to the story when I have time, but that may be a while yet. Real life keeps getting in the way.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Toy! I enjoyed that travelogue very much. Looking forward to parts 3 and 4. You described so well the cozy comforts of train travel. It's tempting me to take a long distance train ride.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Toy! Great account of your journey with some very good pictures too. I look forward to reading the remainder.
Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mr. Toy! I second that of everyone else here, it was an excellent read. I am taking the Coast Starlight for the first time at the end of the month, I can hardly wait!!!!
Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see part two is up now! Excellent stuff Mr. Toy.

What camera did you use for those great photos? I think they were very good quality and make me more excited about my trip!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, pages 3&4 are up, though 4 needs a little tweaking. http://hometown.aol.com/toysontrax/starlight0204/starlight-feb04p3.html

I even have a video on page 3, and I hope to add more to other pages in the coming days.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Hey Mr.Toy!

That video... that was the train?

It looked like the Empire State Building on wheels to me!!

Damn those things are HUGE!!

Makes our trains in NZ look like ... toys!

dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBriz09:
Thanks, Mr. Toy! I second that of everyone else here, it was an excellent read. I am taking the Coast Starlight for the first time at the end of the month, I can hardly wait!!!!

<p>I've taken the Starlight from LAX to PDX for the past 8 to 10 years and it is a great trip. Though the amenities aren't quite what they were 4 or 5 years ago, it's still worth the ride.

<p>The Parlour Car used to offer not only wine tastings, but lavish fruit and cheese buffets, as well.

<p>I travel the Sunset from Florida west to LAX and then catch the Starlight to Portland.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rheboi:
Hey Mr.Toy!

That video... that was the train?

It looked like the Empire State Building on wheels to me!!

Damn those things are HUGE!!

Makes our trains in NZ look like ... toys!

Empire State Building: 1,250 feet tall

That day's Coast Starlight: about 1,020 feet long.

Not far off.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
enjoyed your travelog. great job

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page