RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's roll in 10.5

Author Topic: Amtrak's roll in 10.5
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the fact that the Amtrak Train getting sucked into the ground was so fake it could make you lagh, did they need Amtrak's permission to use there name and Paint sheme in the movie?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10.5 a new TV show??

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak wisely opted out of involvment with the absurdity known as "Silver Streak". How they got involved with this current tripe "10:5" is beyond me.

BTW, 10-5 was a Sleeping Car configuration, that was designed prior to WWII. More efficient positioning of "the facilities" in the Roomette allowed a "postwar" version of the car to become a 10-6. However, 10-5's were built for the Erie, Rock Island, and Canadian National during 1955; these cars had a somewhat enlarged Bedroom design.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Take has alot of Amtrak, and the Italian Job (2003) has a Parlour car shown at the very end.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most used non-word on this forum: "alot" It is not a word. It's two words. "..a lot.."

Most over used crutch word on this forum: "..tripe.."

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Silver Streak movie was funny!

Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are a funny duo.....

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, let it be noted that I'm "not exactly" known in this world for my sense of humor.

However, Mr. Rheboi, I fail to see how you, in your capacity as a pretty "heads up guy" based upon the postings you submit to this Forum, can condone watching the litany of Rules violations depicted in that absurdity of a film.

Of further concern to me is how life has a way of imitating art. Somewhere, some place, some half wit has or will attempt to emulate a stunt on railroad property that was obxserved in that production. Only problem, the railroad on which is chosen to "host" the emulation could well be on tap down at the courthouse for some "heap big wampum".

Lastly, Mr. Boz, I would be happy to subsititute another word that can be posted at a public Forum to replace my admittedly continual use of "tripe'. I'm "all eyes' for your suggestions.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 11 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone actually watched that movie?

It was full of geologic (amongst other sciences) excrement, and it stank!!!

I poked in for 5 minutes Sunday evening ... when I heard the part about nuclear weapons fusing the hypocenters.... and when I saw what they proposed would fall off into the ocean, I bailed.

Producers need to take Geology 1!

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
role
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yez Boz
Member # 2938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yez Boz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try: unimaginative, unoriginal, vapid, watery, wishy-washy, zero,hogwash, hooey, jabber, nonsense, poppycock, prating, rot, rubbish, stuff, twaddle
Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
HERE:
stupid train orders:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,724085

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver Streak is my favorite movie. True the falsities of the rail related parts are there, but I enjoy the humor, and love Wilder and Prior together. The plot is so so, but some of the lines are hilarious. So as far as train movies go, it is one of the better ones. Believe me there are far worse out there.

And even though Amtrak did not endorse Silver Streak, if you watch closely Amtrak did get in the movie. When the Silver Streak is a runaway and the cops call the dispatcher in the Chicago yards, you can see in the background a switcher moving some Amtrak baggage cars (looks like phase I) clearly in the Chicago coach yards. Every other scene is on Canadian rails and you can see CP rail on several of the locos in the various yards the train traverses.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seen where the Dash-8 and the 5 Superliners got "Swollowed" by the fault was the fakest seen on TV, they didnt even bother to cover up that fake plastic shine

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't go to the movies for "informative or factual content"

I go to be entertained, have a laugh, escape the tedium that live sometimes presents.

I laughed when I saw the movie and if I happen to see it again I still think I'd have a laugh.

I enjoyed the comic talents of Richard and Gene in other movies as well, some of it stupid but still some good humour in there too.

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could not help but add another movie to this beat-up-the-trains list. Tried to watch this past weekend, "Unbreakable?" I think that was the name. It starred Bruce Willis, (sometimes good, sometimes duh!) as the only survivor of a train accident-derailment-end of the world wreck. While all 177 others on the train died, he lived. I thought maybe at the end he would wake-up in bed from a bad dream. But, I could not stay with it. I had to balance my checkbook and fold the wash and this movie was really a yawner, so to be honest it may end a better movie.
But, the main point is that everyone, EVERYONE, on the train, except Mr. Willis, was killed in the accident?
There should have been a disclaimer at the end that no animals or trains were harmed in the making of this film. And that the total massacre of passenger is no reference to any reality, living or dead.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta add to the list of bad train movies:

Tough Guys (Wrecked 4449)
Runaway Train (Self-important)
Best Friends (completely forgettable)
Under Siege II, Dork Territory (one word, Steven Segal)
Trading Places (Euro compartments on Amfleet cars)

...and last and certainly least...

Atomic Train!!!

Hey, has anyone ever seen a cheesy one from 70's called Disaster on the Coastliner? I saw it once as a kid and I think the Amtrak action was decent even if nothing else was. And for my buck, Silver Streak was funniern'ell even with the operational errors.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple to add to the list:

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles," and "Throw Momma From The Train." I can't beleive that you went this long without mentioning those two. Granted, nether one deals much with RR operations, but they are actually funny movies (IMO) to watch.

Edited for punctuation.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 05-07-2004).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Trains, Planes and Automobiles!! Classic John Candy and Steve Martin!! Loved that movie...

It actually sounds like my trip in June!! Flying to LA, Train to NY, Bus to Montreal, truck* to Indy via NYC where I'm going on a Ferry etc

I think I'll refrain from putting my hands between "two pillows"!!!

*(was to be motorhome but things have changed to a 4x4 double cab truck)

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Under Siege II, Dark Territory" took place in the vast unexplored lands west of Denver where there are no towns, no cell phones, and trains can run undetected for hundreds of miles until they run head-on into speeding freights.

Mr. Segall probably read his Amtrak safety instructions, explaining that "if you see an oncoming locomotive plowing through your coach at high speed, simply run away from it until you get to the rear of the train, where a ladder from an overhead helicopter will be available".

This must have been the same secret rail line John Travolta used to smuggle an atomic weapon into Denver in "Broken Arrow". It has got to be out there somewhere.....a secret transcontinental rail route.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PPL should at least make the comsist believable
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
"is must have been the same secret rail line John Travolta used t It has got to be out there somewhere.....a secret transcontinental rail route.

Maybe we just thought the Colorado Midland was abandoned!!!!!!

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first time I have seen this thread -- I must have missed it when it was first started. What is "10-5?" Is that a TV movie, a box-office movie, or what? Someone mentioned there is lots of bad geology in the movie -- I am a geologist, and would like to see this production and critique it myself.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"10.5" was a dreadful 4-hour made-for-tv movie that was on NBC(?) for 2 nights at the beginnning of May. Geologically laughable, but I watched just to see the train be chased down the track by an opening fault. Who would think to look out the rear of the train to see if an earthwuake fault was following you? (and how could you see it if there were freight cars on the end? and what would you do about it besides laugh?)
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybody mention "Mission Impossible" with the Eurostar train running right hand track in England to the channel tunnel with a helicopter following it into the tunnel, and a roof hatch that you could upen and climb out, then hold on to the top of the train at 100 mph plus speeds? I am sure I have miss quite a few things that were equally or more impossible. Oh yes, how about the 25,000 volt overhead that seemed to not be there?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
While I "haven't been over in a while", it is my understanding that in the UK, Eurostar draws current from the "third rail".

As for right hand operation....well "that's Hollywood".

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, it is third rail on the existing formerly BR Southern Region line down to the tunnel, but the tunnel itself is 25kv 50 cycle overhead, which is also the standard on the French side.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page