RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak 2005 Calendar Photo Contest

Author Topic: Amtrak 2005 Calendar Photo Contest
ByTrain
Member # 3260

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ByTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello folks,
Just a few minutes ago, I got the e-mail from a friend of mine (who in turn got from someone else) about "Amtrak 2005 Calendar Photo Contest". I went to check the official Amtrak website, but nothing has been posted yet. Please confirm the following news if anyone else has heard about the same.

Amtrak Launches Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar:
It’s time to pull out the camera and take your shot at having your photograph featured on the 2005 Amtrak wall calendar.
You and rail fans everywhere are invited to enter the 2005 “Picture Our Train” photo contest. The First Prize winner will receive a $1,000 travel voucher and photo credit on the calendar. The Second through
Fifth Prize winners will also receive travel vouchers. To win, submit an original color photograph featuring an Amtrak train with the current Amtrak logo and livery visible.
The contest is open to legal residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older. All Amtrak employees and their families are eligible, except the Calendar Contest Review Panel and Judges, Amtrak Marketing employees (as listed on the company’s organizational chart 10.2), Amtrak Corporate Communications employees (chart 10.3). (Employees at Amtrak advertising agencies and their families are also not eligible.)
Detailed entry rules can be found on the Amtrak Intranet home page www.amtrak.com by
clicking on the link found under Latest News. The rules will be posted on the Amtrak Internet soon and published in the June 2004 issue of Amtrak Ink. The contest ends July 30, 2004.
SAFETY FIRST! As always, Amtrak reminds all contestant participants to stay out of danger – stay away from tracks and the railroad right-of-way. Remember, trains move quickly and quietly. This contest is
not about putting yourself in danger.
Do not trespass on railroad property or on private property adjacent to the railroad. Do not climb or approach railroad structures, towers, or wires. Stay in public access areas, and away from railroad structures and moving equipment – in stations, on sidewalks, in parking lots or
on highway sidings—stay out of danger. Remember, tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property – trespassers are subject to arrest and fines.
-source: AMTRAK

ByTrain

Posts: 18 | From: San Jose, CA, USA. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your information is correct. We have posted the news into "TrainWeb's What's New" section. To go to the news please click on the link below.

Amtrak Launches Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar

ADDITION TO NEWS:
================
TrainWeb will match the prize that you are awarded by Amtrak up to an additional $1,000 Amtrak travel voucher! If you are the webmaster of a website hosted at www.TrainWeb.org

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also saw that on the Amtrak site, what a long shot.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can take $1,000 photo.. to bad I'm not 18

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the annual AMTRAK calendar generally feature a painting as opposed to a photograph? Are the paintings based on photographs?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, Amtrak is not yet ready to "buy into" the photography restrictions for which several railroads and mass transit agencies have evidently opted.

The posting above describing the contest simply reiterates long standing "common sense" rules regarding conduct about railroad facilities. I did not note any requirement that contestants register for permits.

There's hope yet for the shutterbugs amongst us; I haven't been one in some twenty years.

"Read all about it" straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.amtrak.com/calendarcontest.html

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-24-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Does the AMTRAK calendar have only one picture for the whole year or 12, one for each month?

Why do you suppose they impose an age limitation for contestants? And is there some way to get a Jonathan Ortiz photo into the contest by using an older sponsor?

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2004 calendar has one large picture and all the months below it. By the way, 2004 pic is the Southwest Chief going through Apache Canyon near Lamy, NM. ---- Dee
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page