RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited - Eastbound or Westbound?

Author Topic: Sunset Limited - Eastbound or Westbound?
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that timekeeping on the Sunset Limited is a shot in the dark, but is the eastbound or westbound trip more scenic? I would only be going from LAX to New Orleans. Connecting at New Orleans to NYP on the Crescent. I have never taken the Sunset Limited and was thinking of taking this routing home from LA, instead of the usual trip on the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited. I have heard that the Sunset Limited does not afford the best scenery. Thoughts?

Whether I actually book a room in New Orleans for the layover will be the biggest debate - may count on the Susnet's lateness to sleep onboard!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The westbound Sunset has a few advantages. The scenic highlights include crossing thHuey Long Bridge over the Mississippi River outside NOL, crossing the tall Pecos River bridge in west Texas, and traveling along the Mexican border west of El Paso. All of these should be safely seen on the westbound trip but the two river crossings are likely to be at night eastbound. If the train is a few hours late westbound, you can also see the Salton Sea which is below sea level, the windmill farms near Palm Springs, and Beaumont Hill. Westbound will require an overnight at New Orleans. The eastbound train likely will get you into NOL in the wee hours of the night which could be unpleasant and the Crescent connection could actually be missed. Go westbound if you can.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always enjoy the scenery on the Sunset, the bayous of Louisiana, the special beauty of the high plains desert and extinct volcanos of west Texas, etc.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset Limited either East or West is a delight and if you can keep awake through the daylight parts of the trip, a very rewarding ride especially near New Orleans, El Paso (you can see Juarez across the river), and through New Mexico and Arizona and eastern California. Don't miss it! Watch for the mariachi bands on the platform playing for the train riders at the El Paso station going east!

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that 6 hours late is not a "bad hair day" for the Sunset, there is the possibility that your arrival in NOL could easily be a 3AM - you will of course be rousted as the train continues to ORL.

If 6 hours late into LA, you will get to view the Salton Sea and have the sensation of being BELOW sea level on a train. I think that is the only place in North America where one can make that claim. Also you will view the descent into the LA Basin from Beaumont Pass.

The Sunset is NOT a scenic zero; the SP simply had an obversion to Dome Cars.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page