RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The F59PHI's paint sheame eroting

Author Topic: The F59PHI's paint sheame eroting
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, I noticed that allot of the Pacific Surfliners that I see, Have Locomotives with the front end's paint sheame fading and eroting, mostly just the F59PHIs that have this problem, some in realy bad condition, almost to wear you can almost see the bear metal showing through, what cuases this?

My only guess is that Traveling along the coast allthe time and being so close to the sea that maybe the Salty sea breeze could eat away at the paint

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, Mr. Ortiz---

If you have difficulty spelling, why not prepare your postings on Notepad (it comes with wour Windows PC; I'm sure the Apples have a similar feature), use the spell check in the Tools menu, then copy and paste your posting at the Forum.

"Back in my day" the only option was what the teacher always said; "Look it up in the Dictionary". Technology today has obviated that often trite "get lost' command.

You bring many interesting thoughts and observations to the Forum; now is time to start "polishing' them.

With Respect

GBN

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"(it comes with wour Windows PC; I'm sure the Apples have a similar feature), use the spell check in the Tools menu, then copy and paste your posting at the Forum."
--------

"your"-is spelled y-o-u-r, not w-o-u-r

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well right there is a reason that I have been trying to not comment on your illiteracy, because I figured I would make a really bad typo quite like Mr. Norman did.

Seriously though, at least his came off as being a typo, and your many mistakes, Jonathon, make you to appear to be lacking intelligence.

Have you ever been diagnosed as having a learning disability? If you haven't than both your parents and your school have not been paying very good attention. It is nothing to be ashamed of since it is not your fault. But at the same time that doesn't mean there aren't ways to work around it. Seriously, your ability to get a job in the future even depends on this, because no one will hire someone who has difficulty with some simple words. I'm just trying to be helpful here.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14 errors in Jonathon's post, just 1 in GBN's post. No comparison. Pot, kettle, and black spring to mind.

Reading lots of books, magazines, and newspapers really does help literacy. I'm not talking about the Internet or circulars as they tend to be poor, but professional material.

Some particularly useful set of words where you should know the difference:
where, ware, wear
your, you're
their, there, they're
www.dictionary.com

Geoff M.

PS - you could be right about the sea. That and general front-end bashing - stones, dust, etc.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The WIND. The loco is has a slanted nose and the others dont. So thwe wind pushes up on the paint.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chubbes,
Thanks for staying on topic

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
Say, I noticed that a lot of the Pacific Surfliners that I see have locomotives with the front end's paint fading and peeling. Mostly just the F59PHIs have this problem, and some are in really bad shape, almost to where you can see the bare metal showing through.

I've noticed this also, most recently on a trip between Fullerton and Moorpark. The engine was otherwise "fine" except for the paint job.
In addition to the coastal air and debris along the track, maybe they used an inferior brand of paint that is not up to the task?

MP

[This message has been edited by MPALMER (edited 05-28-2004).]

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful, EB. In your post you made the classic "than" for "then" error. "Then" is used in sequential events. “Than” is used in comparative statements.

Kettle: Mr. Pot, I believe you are black.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
"(it comes with wour Windows PC; I'm sure the Apples have a similar feature), use the spell check in the Tools menu, then copy and paste your posting at the Forum."
--------

"your"-is spelled y-o-u-r, not w-o-u-r

You are a delight, nicely done

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page