RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sacramento hotel/ car rental question

Author Topic: Sacramento hotel/ car rental question
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just booked a trip on the Calif. Zephyr to Sacramento, through Guest Rewards.

I'm considering renting a car in Sacramento or in Truckee, Calif.

Trouble is, most of the rental places are off a ways from the SAC station, or they close at about the same time the train arrives. I can't count on it being OT.

I'd love to rent a car in Truckee, as will be spending time in the Tahoe area. But Enterprise doesn't allow one-way rentals (rent in Truckee, return to SAC).

I don't want to miss the spectacular Donner Pass and Sierras scenery between SAC and Reno.

Have any of you rented in SAC? Which car rental places are the easiest to get to?

I could go to the airport and rent. How much is a cab fare or can busses go directly to the airport from the station?

Also, what hotels are close to the SAC station?

I know there's a Best Western about 3 blocks from the Amtrak station in nearby Davis. But that Enterprise location isn't open on weekends. My train arrives on a Saturday. I would return my car on a Thursday.

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm certain, Mr. Ohlemeier, the majors are all 24/7 out at SMF. So worst case, you will have "your ride' upon arrival.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avis has an office about a mile from the station at 901 16th Street. Give them a call and I'll bet there's a decent chance they can have a car waiting for you either at the station or at a local hotel or other location (where you can provide the necessary info to them). Details:

901 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
916-446-2695
Sun 09:00AM-05:00PM; Mon-Fri 07:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-05:00PM

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Hertz and Enterprise would pick you up at the station if you didn't arrive too late. There are many hotels in the area...the closest is the Holiday Inn on the K St Mall (walking distance) Other hotels are the Hyatt on L St across from the capitol and the Sheriton on J St.
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vagabond Inn in Sacramento is almost across the street from the Amtrak Station. I'm actually spending a couple of nights there in less than two weeks.....easy walking distance to Old Sacramento and the Railroad museum. I am arriving and departing by train and picked this hotel so I wouldn't need to fool with cabs or finding the bus to the airport to pick up a car, etc., etc.

There are buses from downtown (but not the Amtrak station.....gotta walk a few blocks to find them) to the airport but those are operated by a county transit system, not the Sacramento city system (which also operates the light rail which, sadly, does not go to the airport). Do a search engine for either the Sacramento Airport website or 'Sacramento Mass Transit' and I think you'll find some links that will be helpful. I found a link for the county system on the airport website once.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We stayed at the Vagabond last Spring and thought it was a very good value. Newly redone rooms and an easy walk to the AMTRAK station and the Railroad Museum and Old Town. Our AAA guidebook for Northern California had $5.00 per night coupons that we used. Pretty good cookies on arrival and a good breakfast buffet.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the answers here. I'll likely stay at the Vagabond.

I haven't decided whether to visit the museum or drive east to Truckee area and get some shots of the CZ.

Anyone ever railfanned that area between SAC and RNO?

Gil, I am well aware that airports have full-service auto rentals. Most there are only open 'till midnight. My question pertained to auto rentals near the SAC station.

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page