RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Major problem with Sunset Ltd.

Author Topic: Major problem with Sunset Ltd.
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As of the last report at 5:14 AM, at Maricopa, AZ, it was running 7 hours and 27 minutes late."

That's 7 hrs. 27 min. late into LAX where the ETA is supposed to be 6:40 a.m. to connect with the CS. Means a looong bus ride for Sunset passengers who miss the train.

Does the Ltd. EVER get to LAX on time anymore? I do dread the bus ride.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all honesty, Ms. Breeze, it doesn't.

The massive expansion of the petrochemical industry in Texas along with the increase of imports moving through the Port of Houston has simply taxed the Sunset Route beyond any anticipated capacity. The line was historically owned by Southern Pacific which simply had no money available to make expansions to the line's capactiy, let alone properly maintain the existing track.

Had the SP not merged with the Union Pacific during 1998, it likely would have had to petition for bankruptcy.

The Union Pacific, while having some resources available for expansion, simply does not have enough to do what must be done to relieve congestion along the line.

While not for one moment am I suggesting that the UP would intentionally delay the sunset, their traffic simply has to move and as such, they get the Sunset over the road when they can.

The situation also applies with the CSX Railroad that operates the train Orlando-New Orleans.

I believe Amtrak should make an effort to "come clean" with its passengers and explain that long delays should be expected and that any same day connections should be avoided. They should recommend that passengers "overnight" in LA before continuing their journey on the Starlight.

Oh and I guess since we are talking about disclaimers, here's mine:

"The author of this posting holds a small position of UNP within a retirement plan".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply, GBN. I already have my tickets and I really need to get to Portland, OR as soon as possible, due to the critical illness of my granddaughter. She's been in the hospital for 2 months and is stable, but guarded, with a botched surgery. To make matters worse, she is 5 months pregnant and just 24 yrs. old. She got worse after I decided to go by train.

Prayers needed.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gott'em, Ms Breeze

I think anyone around this board would understand if you were "on the bird" this time.

God Speed

GBN

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-28-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Thank you, GBN. Waiting for updates to see if I should keep my 6/15 tickets or....

Really hate to fly, so hope it doesn't work out that way.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Presumably, Ms. Breeze, you are aware of Amtrak's one-week cancellation policy for full refund of sleeper accomodations. The accomodation charge of course comprises the bulk of your total fare.

Also, if you plan on using a major air carrier in place of your planned Amtrak trip, advance purchase rates usually require at least a week "advance purchase".

Therefore, I believe you really only have days in which to make a final decision in this manner.

Stay Safe.

dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Thanks for the reminder. You are correct about the time limitations and I'm weighing that. I did hear late today that Diana is somewhat better and very stable right now, so my daughter said to just wait until the 15th. We'll see how it goes in the next couple of days.
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seven hours late? Sounds to me like the SL is running ahead of schedule. :)
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you gotem here also Ms Breeze
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Thank you Colt, appreciate it!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page