RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago Connections, Recent

Author Topic: Chicago Connections, Recent
Tigger2
Member # 2548

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last few days I've been checking the likelihood of my making a 1 hour 50 minute connection in Chicago at the end of June. It's not looking good. Two days ago the train I'll be transferring from, number 8, arrived in Chicago more than hour after the train I'll be transferring to, number 30, had already left. Yesterday 8 arrived only about 20 minutes before 30 should have left, although it ended up leaving over an hour late. Are the storms in the midwest delaying the Empire Builder? If I get into Chicago with only minutes to spare, will Amtrak personnel help us get to the second train on time? (Thinking that it can be a very long walk up to the station and back out to the tracks again). If I make it onto my train to D.C., but my bags don't, will Amtrak deliver them to my hotel when they do arrive, or will I have to go to the station to fetch them?
Posts: 5 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8-CHI-30 is a "guaranteed" connection. This means if you misconnect, Amtrak has the "strong moral" (but not legal) obligation to "look out for you".

If traveling Coach, or Sleeper if any space is left, they would likely put you on #40 to Phila, NEC beyond to Wash.

If no sleeper is available and that is the class you booked, they will hotel you at a modest hotel until there is space, or else they will give you air transport.

Best advice regarding baggage traveling by any mode: "If you can't carry it, don't bring it".

But I'm surprised to learn the Empire Builder has been arriving late; it usually is one of the best out there.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-31-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger2
Member # 2548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have a deluxe sleeper booked for the Chicago to D.C. portion of the trip. I am travelling with my little children, so I cannot carry on all our baggage. I am travelling to a professional conference (that offers free child care!) and should be (but don't absolutely have to be) at the opening session at 3 PM on my day of arrival. The first session is mostly fluff, so I can live with missing it. I am more worried about managing my 4 year-old if we have to do a lot of running through the Chicago station or if we are delayed by many hours.
Posts: 5 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have been reviewing OTP of the Empire Builder recently, Ms. Tigger, please be mindful that here in the Chicago area, this past May has now gone into the record books as the third "wettest" May. This is in terms of measured rainfall; possibly you have heard reference to Gurnee, IL - the Builder goes through there. Also the radio report from which i learned this "factoid" noted that there is little difference between "Win, Place, & Show".

Undoubtably, this has been a factor in the Builder's performance. Several times this month it has been rerouted away from the MILW and over the CB&Q. That's fine by me; as when rerouted, it will go within sight of my home.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-01-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the recent delays are due to bad storms we have been having in the midwest, but you should be OK for your connection. Every time I have been on train #8 into Chicago it has been on time or just a little bit late. If it is going to be a close connection, they will hold a train for you and the other connecting passengers. If it is close, they post special employees to meet arriving passengers and help them to quickly make their way onto the connecting train. If you must check luggage, just be sure to put your essential items in a carry on so that if you make the connection and your bag dosen't, you can survive until the luggage arrives on a later train. Have a great trip!
-Coachseats www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger2
Member # 2548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in La Crosse this morning, so dropped by the depot to see the Empire Builder come in. I forgot to check its exact arrival time, but it departed 44 minutes late, after a stop of about 6 or 7 minutes. In the past, only people actually departing the train stepped off in La Crosse. Today scads of people got off to smoke. Some did not reboard in a timely fashion, and others left the immediate vicinity of their car, and the various Amtrak employees were clearly getting upset. I'm all for the non-smoking policy, but do you folks here think it might be contributing to the train's lateness in some cases, as people hop off at stops to grab a smoke?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page