RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Only 9 More Hours!

Author Topic: Only 9 More Hours!
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...until I take train #89 from Ocala to Delray Beach.

Not very exciting, but it IS ON A TRAIN !

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest you note, Mr. Kairho, that when you cross SR 42 some 15 miles N of Wildwood, you will be within 2 miles of the perimiter of The Villages. That community is now some 100,000 strong with all residents of train riding age.

And they "all came from somewhere."

Somehow, I think the SAL route deserves more than that joke of a train you will be riding. Don't you just love your scheduled departure hour from Ocala?

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-03-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Palmetto (I much preferred the name, Silver Palm) is not the brightest star in Amtrak's portfolio and the, ugh, 4 AM departure time isn't all that great. But then all trains need to be somewhere overnight, eh? And if it left at a decent hour, it would arrive inconveniently...

I do this trip twice a year or so and spring for the business class car because it is usually close to empty and I get the morning paper delivered to my seat in Tampa! I suffer this train because it gets me to South Florida at a decent late morning hour, assuming somewhat on time. (The return on Sunday leaves Delray Beach about 4 PM and gets here at 11 PM, not all that bad.)

Fortunately, the other two Silver trains run through DeLand and Palatka, each only about 75 minutes east, about as convenient as the major airports (Orlando and Tampa). That's what one gets when living in one of the most beautiful parts of the state.

As to The Villages, we are very pleased to have them contribute to the tax base without too much of a burden on services. But I must as what you mean by "train riding age?" I thought everyone, of all ages, loved the train (like the circus)

Oh, and a quick correction, the Palmetto (and indeed the CSX main line between Tampa and Jacksonville is not on the old SAL route, but rather on the SCL? The two actually cross at a diamond at the Ocala station and the station has an unusual L shaped platform to serve both lines. Alas, the old SAL is abandoned and torn up in parts; and in Ocala it is now the Florida Northern RR short line.

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 06-03-2004) to correct typos but not to correct the misinformation due to acronym-deficiency.]

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 06-07-2004).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I note your posting, Mr. Kairho, with both a lot of interest and respect.

First, I'm not sure because I'm no arborist, but is the Palmetto even indigenous to Florida, even I know the Silver Palm is.

Secondly, because CSX in their great wisdom decided to abandon some 55 miles of mainline SAL, the "Palm" although it serves Ocala on SAL rails (the rather dissheveled line crossing at "Union Station" is a piece of the ACL/Florida Northern), does not switch to the ACL until South of Wildwood. I'm not completely certain of its routing until it rejoins the SAL on an Amtrak-paid-for "wye" at Auburndale.

But, alas, the "ACL faction" up at 500 Water must have polished their "meeting skills' better than that of the SAL.

And lastly, thinking of you Mr. Kairho, I'll wear my "The Villages" golf cap when taking my walk today on which I will likely observe #4, #5, and #6 "passing in review". Where else in this land can one observe three Superliner trains on the main line all passing (if more or less on time) within a half hour of one another? Hang around for an additional half-hour and you can throw in #3 for good measure.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-05-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are too much! But it's fun to read!
Johan Andreas, who is planning to take the train to San Jose on Sunday just to ride the new Caltrain service.

[This message has been edited by City of Miami (edited 06-04-2004).]

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman...where do you usually walk? i will be on #3 on June 19 and maybe I can look for you as we pass your area. Tell me where to look if it is possible you'll be out there.

I confirm that the Palmetto usues ex-SAL from Wildwood to JAX (actually from a point just below Wildwood). The Baldwin to JAX segment is also served by the Sunset Limited. The ratty ex-ACL line that crosses at Ocala once hosted the St.Pete section of the City of Miami/South Wind, West Coast Champion, etc. The Tampa, Naples, and Sarasota sections ran via Orlando as did the Miami section of the City/South Wind after the FEC strike.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, "I knew that...!" Apologies for mixing up my acronyms. You are correct that the mainline through Ocala is the old SAL. And I will correct my most common typo (making now into not) where I mentioned the Florida Northern. All that is how excited I was about the trip!

I don't know if the palmetto is indiginous, I just don't like the name as I always associate it with the bug rather than the tree, and would prefer having a train named after a tree than a cockroach!

Is the Auburndale wye the one where the train reverses into Tampa station?

Incidentally, I hope it wasn't one of those feisty Villages boyz who managed to cause a CSX derailment on said line just north of Wildwood Friday night! Apparently it was "minor" and the Palmetto ran through it on Saturday evening. Yesterday evening we also picked our way through and I could just barely get a glimpse of overturned stock as we passed in the moonless night. If I weren't chained to a desk this week I would drive down to take a look.

As to reviewing 12 total hours on the Palmetto, it was, well, it was the Palmetto. With only coaches, snack bar and a business class car, it was basically a long-distance commuter. I always sit in business class, the $20 extra buying plenty of space and quiet, and a pillow. Other than arriving an hour late and losing another hour on the southbound, it was an easy ride; I love watching the sunrise on Amtrak. The return lost an hour by Ocala, mostly from 40 minutes sitting on a siding waiting for 2 or 3 CSX freights to pass. I suppose it's a little too much to hope for double traking between Tampa and Jax.

Staff was friendly and efficient except for one grumpy snack bar guy (I didn't show my business class stub in time, even though he saw me come through that entrance, and, horrors, he had to put the still unopened bottle of juice back and pour from the box!). As I had to accomplish a fair amount of computer work (yes, this was really a busines trip!) on both directions, I was extraordinarily aware of the poor condition of the rails most of the way. I am told this is a problem all up and down the east coast (I have found that the rails are much smoother west of the Mississippi).

Although short, it whetted my appetite for the August trip to visit friends in Connecticut. My wife will fly up and back and I will be taking the Silver Star! A third friend is driving up, resulting in quite a convoluted itinerary. (She's actually going up a week early to visit her mother, friend meets me in Wilmington and we pick her up in South Jersey to drive to Connecticut. After 5 days, we drop her at the airport, I train back from Hartford, and friend continues by road to Michigan.) Silver Star this time because it has the sleepers, and it is not only a better schedule than the Palmetto but it's only about 75 minutes to the Amtrak station in Deland. Better name, too!

dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI ('cause I'm a food editor):

The Sabal palmetto is the State Tree of Florida. ... Some call it a cabbage palm because
they are harvested for hearts of palm sometimes used in salads -- delicious salads at that!

Please rest assured that the Palmetto is indigenous to Florida!

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The wye through the SW quadrant at Auburndale was built and paid for by Amtrak early '80's. This is wye used by 89-90.

The wye through the NW quadrant was built by the SCL, but Amtrak was the primary user. During the 80's, the Tampa sections of both Meteor and Star were split there in what always appeared to be a well choreographed exercise.

The wye through the SE quadrant has "always been" there. Both predecessor roads served the citrus processing plants there and made use of the yards in that quadrant.

Even though I do not believe Auburndale was ever a line haul interchange between the roads, the physical connection was there. As such when during 1962, the Clerks went on strike against the FEC resulting in either a secondary boycott (or lock out depending on which side's Mother Lode you choose to believe) by the other crafts, The ACL passenger trains that would have been interchanged to the FEC (there was never an SAL-FEC passenger interchange) at JAX were detoured (as distinct from interchanged) over the SAL. Fortunately, the SE quadrant physical connection existed and passenger service was not disrupted when the FEC Clerks "hit the bricks" and the other crafts chose not to "cross".

There never was any wye through the NE quadrant at Auburndale.

Oh and by the way, just like Wildwood, Auburndale has it's "lyrical" name; but be assured it is a working man's town and for any tourist other than a railfan, it is a "zero".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page