RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First timers on June 12... any last mintue tips??

Author Topic: First timers on June 12... any last mintue tips??
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are going on our first ever long distance train trip June 12th. We have gone on short hops here and there, but never with a sleeper.
We leave Chicago at 2:30PM on the CZ June 12th in a deluxe sleeper and travel to Emeryville with a transfer to San Francisco for the night. Then the 15th we leave Emeryville at 10:12PM (scheduled) and travel on the Coast Starlight (standard sleeper) to Seattle and spend the night of the 16th there. Then we board the Empire Builder (deluxe sleeper)on the 17th at 4:45 PM and travel back to Chicago. Do you think we over-did our first time? The only semi-dissapointing thing is the Moffit Tunnel closing for repairs that week, as I've heard that route has some of the best scenery in the country, but the detour should be interesting as well. Do the CZ and the EB originate from Chicago and Seattle respectively? I was just wondering about departure times for them. I understand, from what I've read, that we can expect the Coast Starlight to be late. Just wondering if anyone has some helpful tips for us? I've already had my bags packed since this weekend...not that I'm getting anxious. :-) Thanks for the help and the great message board!! Jeff

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this exact trip in late June 2001 as my first long-distance train trip. You are correct in that you are boarding the CZ and EB at their starting points. I called this trip my "land cruise" and I have never felt so truly rested after a vacation trip as I did after this one (and I didn't spend a night in San Francisco, either - just connected in Emeryville). My only complaints were dirty windows on the Coast Starlight. One things I was glad I took was a little bottle of hand sanitizer to use before meals after I had gotten to the diner - all that grabbing of seats & handrails negated any washing up done prior. I was also glad I took binoculars. Find on trainweb the old route guides & print them out to follow. The CZ one is in the wrong direction for you, but I spent time to reverse it so I could follow along. What I forgot to do was reverse left & right, which I figured out about an hour into the trip!

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 06-07-2004).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got finished with a trip on the CZ in late May. We boarded the train in Omaha and rode it to Davis, CA. The trip was great and we arrived well rested after two nights on the train. We returned to Kansas City from LA on the SWC. I noticed on the return trip that I did not pay attention to where we were at all times like I did on the way out. We were tired from our activities in California so I just sat on the train and took in the scenery.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did the same trip, only in reverse. No, you are not overdoing it; my wife and I had a fantastic time. Take a book to read (though I didn't get a lot of reading done) and earplugs. Expect that things will go wrong, then you won't be disappointed when things go awry. Little things happened like not seeing our attendant for a day, or the extremely rude dining car 'boss' on the California Zephyr (we had him twice on the CZ). Toilets stank on one trip, but, overall, there's no better way to go, and sitting in the lounge car is my favorite thing to do ((practically). Have fun!
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must have been on an entirely different CZ, because it seemed to me that our bathrooms were always clean. The faucets have a bad habit of spraying water everywhere, yet everytime I used the rest room the counter was clean and dry - so someone was keeping the water picked up. Also, I never noticed any odor from the restrooms. Our car attendant was around, and he seemed friendly enough, in fact his room was in the standard sleeper right across from the coffee pot. I was disappointed that the dining car was not using 100% china. The dining staff was basically friendly, but they could be a little inflexible. I found with a little tip though they would become much more flexible.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out my tips for train riders on my home page at http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the feature movies each night in the lounge car. They are usually new releases. I would get a Guest Rewards card.It sounds like you've spent some booku bucks on this trip: you'll rack up a lot of points. If you've already paid for this trip, you should be able to still mail the ticket stubbs in in order to get the points. I would call Amtrak if your interested. I don't have my card w/me. Anyone got the number?

Oh, also, the cleansliness of the train has to do with several factors: First, it can depend on how involved your car attendant is throughout the trip. Lets not put it all on Amtrak though, sometimes you simply get a train full of inconciderate slobs.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made the right decision by upgrading to a sleeper all the way. I hope you get a Pacific Parlour on your Coast Starlight. The view through south Oregon is fabulous, on both sides of the train.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a trap, don't do it!
Oh wait, sorry, I was channeling Admiral Ackbar for a moment. The best advice I can have is kick back, relax, have fun, and take a camera. When you stop at Omaha that first night, waive to the right side of the train (towards all the office buildings) and I'll waive back!

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian mentioned that the faucets often splatter. One of the many things that make Superliner rest rooms a bundle of laughs. (By the time your trip is through you'll have a long list of other bad design features.)

The faucets have a hot and cold lever on each side that you press down. I've found that the best way to avoid splattering is to rest a bent finger on the faucet spout, then press down gently on the lever with an adjacent finger. You can control the pressure easier that way.

You must wear shoes when walking aobut the train. I like to use shoes with velcro fasteners for easy late night trips to the rest room. Or slip-ons are good, too.

Take way more film than you think you'll need. You'll use it. Trust me.

Don't worry about the CZ detour. You'll see territory that hasn't been seen by rail travelers in generations. Think of it as a special opportunity. You can always take the CZ again someday on the normal route.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great tips and responses. Ear plugs I hadn't thought of. I did get an Amtrak Rewards card before I booked. I have a digital camera that takes over 300 pics and a traditional camera with 75 pics plus my camcorder...so I shold be covered there. Books are a good idea. What about clothes? What do most wear on the train? Are sweats acceptable? Thanks again! Jeff :-)

[This message has been edited by jdplawman (edited 06-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by jdplawman (edited 06-09-2004).]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff - concerning clothes, there is no dress code on AMTRAK. Anything is acceptable, HOWEVER, since you are traveling in the summer, you need to be aware of the air conditioning -- on some AMTRAK trains in the summer, either the a/c works "too well" or not at all. So take both "hot" and "cool" things -- on any given train, you may find that one car will freeze you out, while the next car up or back is roasting (unless you are riding on the Sunset Ltd, where the a/c is usually NOT working past about Tucson going east.....) Of course, on most(?) trains, the a/c works pretty well.

Have a great trip!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
I brought a digital camera too and took more than 300 pictures!! Alot of them were no good due to me moving while taking the picutre, but you don't really find this out until you download the pictures. I brought a laptop and downloaded my pictures on the train to free up more card space. There is plenty of AC to run the computer. I also used the computer with a map program to track where the train was.

I noticed most people in the dining car wearing at least casual clothes. I did not see any sweat pants or that type of clothing in the dining car.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEADS UP Mr. Lawman--

Zephyr #5 departs Chicago Union Station 220PM vice 230PM

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you won't be carrying a laptop, get more camera memory. 300 shots seems like a lot, but on a trip of that length you could easily run out.

One other thing. I like to carry a pocket notebook with me at all times to record things I see, people I meet, and times at stations, and other events. It helps jog my memory later.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, my wife took over a thousand pictures in 3 days at Yellowstone. It is not uncommon for her to take 300 pictures in a day.

Recommend more memory sticks for your digital!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to take along some duct tape. You'll find that sleeping car curtains typically have to be fastened to the window frame in several places to keep the compartment dark.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page