RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What do you wear on the train?

Author Topic: What do you wear on the train?
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is for the wife....what does one wear on the train? I read a post a while back where they said they wore sweat suits to relax in and other post that have never seen them worn. What do you experienced long distance travelers say? Thanks, Jeff
(6/12 we leave...can't wait!!)

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll see absolutely ANYTHING worn on the train. If you are in a sleeper, dress as you would for a driving trip in your car in which you would stop to eat at a restaurant. People do not "dress" for dinner on the train - be comfortable! If you are in coach, wear something you can sleep in & not look like you slept in it - a sweat suit seems to fill the bill there. Wear rubber-soled or sturdy shoes, especially when walking between cars on the train. Do not leave your seat without shoes on. I would not recommend sandals, slippers, clogs, or high heels when walking between cars. Keep a sweater handy for unexpected drafts.

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 06-09-2004).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear something that doesn't wrinkle easily. And can be packed without wrinkling. I travel between Florida and Portland, Oregon, so I've learned to pack light and take clothes that don't need ironing. Sandals are ok if they're sturdy, or simple flat shoes or sneakers. Maybe a sweater if you're in cooler climes.

And don't forget the package of wet wipes --invaluable!

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten rather fond of wearing those cargo pants with the zippers when riding in coach. It doesn't take much to transform a pair of pants into a pair of shorts.

During the cold months I bring along a pair of Acorn slippers to wear on board the train, after I settle into my coach seat. During my trip from LAX to ABQ (last week) I put on a pair of sturdy Clark sandles after I slipped off my shoes. I didn't have any problem with those sandles at all.

I usually bring a fleece blanket for warmth at night, but I recently invested in an ultralightweight silk sleeping bag liner. It proved to not only be warm at night, but it's weight and tiny size turned out to be a vast improvement over that bulky fleece blanket.

Oh yes, I always travel with lots of silk underwear (don't laugh), they are incredibly lightweight and take up practically no space. I also invest in those synthetic high tech tee shirts that are lightweight and very comfy.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-09-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to remember hard sole footwear on the "feetsies" anytime you are leaving your car.

This is for your own safety; train and on-board service crew will enforce!!

"Flip Flops" if you must, but I wouldn't be caught wearing them.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any comfortable clothing is fine. And shoes that you can slip on and off but that are still "regular" shoes--like loafers--are best. I'm sure this time of year you won't need them, but I travel in winter to Florida and then I always bring a pair of thermal socks and a knit hat to put on if I get cold.

BTW in addition to books, I strongly recommend bringing a Walkman with some CDs. I LOVE listening to my favorite music and watching the world go by.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoodie/T/Cargos/Docs
Then again, if asked what I wear whenever I'm not at work the answer is:
Hoodie/T/Cargos/Docs

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the warmer months, I usually wear a T-Shirt or Golf Shirt with Jean Shorts. In the winter, I prefer to wear Jeans and a denim long-sleeve shirt. If I'm travelling overnight, I'll usually sleep in a t-shirt and jean shorts, even in the winter, since I don't get cold very easily (I'm from Buffalo, NY, so we know what COLD is!!!) Sometimes I'll wear a fleece jacket over my shirt, but not often. I usually always wear sneakers for walking. Just dress comfortably, and if you're travelling overnight, then be prepared, as some others on this board have said, you may bring a blanket along or you can also buy one in the lounge car as well. Have a good trip!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't say "any" comfortable clothing is OK. Since you are crammed in a small area with a lot of people, it is good to be reasonably attractive. Casual, but not sloppy.

DON'T wear overalls or jumpers. My wife tried a jumper on her first train trip because it was attractive and comfortable. She gave up on that after her first trip to the rest room.

For shoes I recommend those with velcro or slip-ons for easy on and off. This is especially nice for middle of the night trips to the rest room.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dress code "back when I started riding"

Posted "a few moons ago" to another Forum: http://web.archive.org/web/20020219200604/www.railroad.net/forums/load/travel/msg0422001022594.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&number=11621956
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page