RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Turning the Auto train?

Author Topic: Turning the Auto train?
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I are going to Sanford on the AutoTrain in August and then driving to the keys as a birthday present for me. We have a family bedroom.

Does any one know if they turn the train in LOR and SFA? It won't really make a huge difference for us but then someone traveling in Coach would have to ride backwards?

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Train is never turned SB #53, the Coaches and their Dining and Lounge Cars are on the head. Sleepers on rear. NB #52 simply vice versa.

The coach seats are, however, turned.

Autos are always on the rear facing the opposite direction of travel.

GBN
Thirteen trips; 1983-2004

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I see the Auto Train pass within walking distance of my house, but it goes too fast down the CSX main to record the consist.
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never could quite figure out how that is done... not that I ever experimented. How are the coach seats turned? Am I correct in guessing it has to do with that foot lever under the ailse arm rest?
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people surprise me! Yes, the foot pedal on the base of the seat is the key. Press down on this, then give a sideways push to the seat back. If it does not move, push in the other direction. Am not sure what is the current standard for Amtrak, but for some the pedal also releases the seat backs making them go upright, for others you have to un-recline the seat backs.

Before reclining seats, the backs flipped, the so called "walkover" seats.

Rotating or flipping seats are used to my personal knowledge also in Taiwan, Japan, and Korea. Peaople in these places all expect to be seated facing the direction of travel.

Generally in Europe and other places following European practices the seats are fixed so that half the seats face backward. In Malaysia the coach seats face the nearest end of the car.

One of the controversies in Korea with their new high speed line is that the French designed coaches have fixed seats so that half of the people end of riding backwards.

Some (all?) (the newer?) of the Japanese Shinkansen trainsets have the seat rotation process motorized so that you flip one switch and all the seats rotate in a wave motion. That is, they do not all move at once, but rotate one at a time starting at one end of the car and going to the other.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experiences in Malaysia were that seats face one end of the car, ie all facing one way. This was on the Singapore to KL trip a couple of months ago. Maybe you're talking about the commuter railways?

In Britain most cars have a mixture of forward-facing, rear-facing, and table seats. Typically there would be 4-6 tables per car and the rest equally divided between forward and rear airline-style seats.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff:

My first trip on KTM was in 1992, second class coach Singapore to Kuala Lumpur afternoon train. In that case the seats each faced the near end and were back to back at the middle of the car.

Was working in Singapore for a few months in 1998 and rode trains up into Malaysia on a few occasions. I do not really recall the set up at that time. My trips were about half sleeper, half coach.

OK, I know we are getting off topic, since the topic is "Amtrak" but just so happened to have been given the following earlier today. Appears to be from a web site, but only have it on paper. Following is copied except I have added coversion from the quoted NTD amounts to US$:

KTX May Succumb to Reverse Direction Seat Complaint

KTX seat occupation rate of May was disappointing 64%, just 4% increase from opening month of April. KR, Korea Railway came to believe that reverse-direction-seat is the major reason. KR at last admitted their mistake to put in 20% more seats (by having those fixed) but ended up losing much more pasengers. KR is looking into a plan to replace the seats with huge budget of 3.6 billion NYD equivalent. (US$3,200,000) Furthermore, because of unique structure of KTX train, not allowing detachment of individual cars, they can work on only one train set per month. This menas it will take 4 years to complete the job. At present, 404 seats per train (43% of 935 seats) are in reverse direction. One young lady sent her embarrassing trip experience to KR internet bulletin board. She was seated opposite to a young man, a stranger. After two hours of leg crouching (to avoid accidental knee-touch) and looking away, both of them had stiff neck and cramp legs upon arrival. This concern had been raised during the train order stage. Looks like several KR people, who had understimated the concern at the time, have to worry about their rice bowl. (3-June-2004)

A few comments: I copied the item word for word. The original language of the author appears to be other than English. The trains are articulated train sets with the trucks (bogies) shared between adjacent coaches. (Was not this treid in the US and determined to be a bad idea in the 1930's.) The trains do not turn, but simply reverse directions at each end. Do not know how the backward facing seats could be 43% of the total unless 14% of the seating faces sideways.

In Japan I have ridden trains that have an en route reversal due to the track layout. At that station, or shortly after leaving it, everyone gets up and with much politeness rotates their seat. All done in a very matter of fact this is a part of normal living manner.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have been in 1st class which would explain the difference.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
I never New that you could turn the seats backward, I always thought that you had to turn the whole train
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the only fault that I have with the Surfliners is that they have half the seats in each car facing forward and half back. It appears that the pedal under the seats is there and that they could be turned. I suppose it's a question of labor cost. At the least it would be nice if they did it in Business Class. If I'm wrong about the seats being "turnable" please let me know. I've heard both yes and no from onboard crew.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page