RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Lounges

Author Topic: Amtrak Lounges
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question on Amtrak policy at the Lounges (i.e. at Washington, Chicago, N.O.,etc).
If a train is late into those stations with a Lounge how long could you stay there? For instance, in my example, we usually have sleeping car tickets and do use the Lounges before our trip, but never afterwards. If a train arrives really late or in the early AM can we still use the Lounges to wait until a civilized time to search out hotel accomodations. Would like some information or if you have had similar experiences.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experiences @ WAS, it appears that arriving Sleeper passengers have "reasonable" use of the Met/Club Acela lounges after arrival.

Here at CHI, I noted that friends recently arriving on #49 Sleeper and connecting to #7 Coach were afforded use of the Met Lounge for their entire layover.

As for myself, when connecting between Amtrak and a BNSF commuter, I much prefer the Great Hall. It is so much easier for elder eyes to read in natural sunlight than in Mr. Edison's variety; also cell phones work "a might bit better" out there than in "The Met".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Philadelphia have a Club Acela?
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Affirm, Mr. Cap
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only two experiences upon arrival rather than departure was connecting trains the same day, and after arrival of a late train.

For the first, I arrived at Chicago in the morning and was due to leave 7pm that evening. I was asked for my ticket and there was no problem accommodating me all day (although my bags stayed and I didn't).

For the latter, permission was a little more begrudging. Again, I was asked for my ticket stub (for the journey just completed) and was allowed in - no time limit specified. I think "reasonable" time applied in this case.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Amtrak's official policy states that first-class passengers will be admitted to any Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela by presenting a same day first-class ticket, which I would interpret to mean that when you are arriving in first-class, it is technically a same-day ticket (whether the ticket's printed departure date is the actual same day or not). I've only used a ClubAcela arriving once, in Washington D.C., and we were allowed in to get a drink even though they were about to close.

From the wording of your post, it seems as though you are talking about using a Lounge "really late or in the early AM" - but keep in mind that I think most of the Lounges close around 10:00 or 10:30. At least the one in Washington D.C. did, and I'm pretty sure the Met Lounge in Chicago does as well.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert L:
If a train arrives really late or in the early AM can we still use the Lounges to wait until a civilized time to search out hotel accomodations.

Based on my own experiences, arriving in any Metropolitan Lounge-equipped city (Chicago, New York, Washington, etc.) without booking your hotel in advance is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Because of big conventions, multiple trade shows, baseball games, college graduations, and other events that attract hordes of out-of-towners, there are periods when virtually every easily accessible hotel in town will be booked solid.

In other words, you could step off your train to discover there's literally "no room at the inn" -- or at least not at any inn that isn't miles outside of town.

So search out and book your hotel accommodations before you leave home -- especially if cost and a central location are important.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 06-22-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page