TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Direction the beds face

Author Topic: Direction the beds face
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuing the theme from Mr Harris, do you prefer beds which are:
1. Across the width of the carriage (European trains are mostly, if not all, this way);
2. Along the length of the carriage, with the head facing forward (eg Superliner standard rooms);
3. Along the length of the carriage, with the toes pointing forward to travel?

For some reason, in my experience, (3) seems to be the most common. However, I much prefer (2) and will change the bed around accordingly! (1) is overall best since you're less likely to roll out of bed.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that I sleep best when traveling "the European Way," with the bed across the width of the car.

In an Amtrak standard room, regardless of which way the car and bed are turned, I always tell the attendant I want to travel feet-first.

For me, to try to sleep with my head pointed toward the front of the train is as disorienting as riding backward in coach. It just feels wrong.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deluxe rooms are wonderful for the footprint and the bed size. Transverse beds? That's cool

Standard rooms? Prefer to travel head first (watching where we've been).

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a deluxe room on the Empire Builder, I preferred to have my head near the window for better night-time viewing, but I found that since people tended to sit near the window during the day, the bed sagged noticeably at that end. The next night, I had the attendant reverse the bed & slept much better. My advice - try lying down for a nap before the bed is made up to be sure that your head doesn't end up lower than your body!
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience in Deluxe rooms is severely limited, having been able to afford only one of same in the last several years. But I found I had trouble sleeping when getting rocked head to toe. I find rocking side to side makes sleeping easier.

This leaves the question of head first or feet first. I have mixed feelings. I worry about what would happen if a panic stop if my head was first, so I think for safety feet first is best.

One thing I've really appreciated is attendants who make up the lower bunk with the feet closest to the steps to the upper bunk. That way you don't have to have their smelly feet in your nose-space. And someone climbing into the upper isn't liable to step on your face if their feet slip.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were in a family bedroom on our trip in May, and the European-style, crossways bed seems much more stable when the train is really rocking. Otherwise, I'm a fan of feet-forward sleeping. In the event of a disaster, I'd rather have my feet hit the wall than my head.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page