RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Candidates for president as related to Amtrak

Author Topic: Candidates for president as related to Amtrak
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that this is not a political forum, but I was curious about what the views of other railfans were as related to the pres. election.

In other words if the election were tomorrow, who would ya'll vote for solely as related to Amtrak funding?

George dubya Bush or JOHN F KERRY

My choice was Kerry because I figured that anyone would be better than this administration. Following up on this, I went to johnkerry.com and search rail travel and amidst a bunch of un rail related mess, I picked out that he did support passenger rail to rural communities( I thought this to be refering to Long-distance trains, which I think to be the best anyway).

What do ya'll think?

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With respect to Amtrak, "tweedle dum tweedle dee".

Amtrak funding ends up in the "Omnibus Spending bill' that covers everything from Amtrak to a grant for a study of catfish mating habits ("they do it"). Because the President does not have line-item veto power, he must veto the entire spending bill if he is to "axe" some item therein.

Therefore, short of using the "bully pulpit', the President, be he GWB or JFK, is powerless over the level of Amtrak funding.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once more Mr. Norman has simplified for us what could be debated forever, without any factual support.

This is not the place for our individual politics, but while the door is open Mr. Norman's analysis applies to many, many other
items which will be presented by politicians
as what they would do. And they will almost aall be in this omninbus spending bill.

We should decide for whom to vote on the very, very big things which affect our country.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think this should be discussed here, because I think people should look at a canidate of foreign policies etc. Not something like this. Lets face it no one wil change there mind of political thinking just for Amtrak. But I am a democrat.

Unfortunetly too young to vote.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an Amtrak forum and some funding of Amtrak is done by the federal government, in particular, from the executive branch as approved by the legislative. Therefore I think this is quite a proper topic for this board provided comments are kept to AMTRAK FUNDING without reference to wars, welfare and homeland security.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I don't want either. Bushg has already showed he's a monkey in office, and I don't really know if Kerry seems like a guy that would be the leader of our free nation.

Vote Non of the above

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be worse it could be this guy running:
http://deanlosesit.ytmnd.com/

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe having been around in this world a while had made me immune to the supposed charm of JFKerry. If Doonesbury were to develop an appropriate symbol for Mr. Kerry, and maybe he has because I do not see it regularly here, it would be the weathervane.

Concerning Amtrak, given his home base and orientation, we can anticipate that the only thing paid for anything beyond the northeast corridor would probably be lip service. When you lear that to the northeasterner Ohio is "midwest" you realize how small their view of the country is. Ask, "If Ohio is midwest, then what is Iowa and Nebraska?" and see if you even get an answer. His small town service is probably in western Massachusetts.

Look into some of the sources of information that do not like Kerry for some differences in viewpoints. There are a lot of things about him that do not look good in daylight. Frankly, I did not like what I saw in him when he first hit the national stage, and my opinion of him has done nothing but go down since then.

Also remember that a lot of the anti-Bush people would be anti-Bush no matter what he did. It is not a view developed rationally, but a pre-determined position for which justification has been subsequently developed to support it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Kerry's aforementioned support of service to rural areas, I've seen him make passing reference to rail development in speeches on C-SPAN.

An aquaintence of mine who is on the NARP board says Kerry is strongly supportive of Amtrak. I would, however, like to see Kerry's voting record to confirm that.

As for Kerry in general, going OT here, I find him to be a thoughtful man who really looks deep into the issues and considers all sides before taking action. He may support an item if it is well thought out, but when presented with a similar item that is poorly though out he will vote against it. For that he is labeled as a "flip-flopper." I don't agree with him on everything, there's no such thing as a perfect candidate, but I do trust him to use good judgement.

But what do I know? Most of what I know about John Kerry I learned from C-SPAN, not Faux.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, since this "Morris the Cat" thread seems to have nine lives, here goes a little more from me.

First, Mr. Kairho, I believe you got the process reversed. Legislation gets introduced in either legislative chamber (House or Senate), and gets passed. The same Legislation (either concurrently or subsequently) gets introducted in the other chamber and passed.

After a confernce between the two chambers, the differences are compromised and the legislation is then returned to each chamber to be passed again.

Only at such time that the two chambers have passed identical bills is such submitted to the President who will either "vote up" (sign) or "vote down" (veto) the legislation.

I realize this primer is as simplistic as is the script of the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", but it is how it works!!!

Now where you do have a point is that the President, simply by grace of the office he (maybe SHE in '08) holds, holds the "bully pulpit" and can appeal directly to the people with any of his objectives (domestic legislation, foreign policy, appointments, etc). A popular President, such as Bill Clinton, could "reach to the the people" with his legislative agenda and even though Congress (both chambers) were controled by the opposition during his entire two terms, he was reasonably effective in having his agenda enacted.

Regretably, I cannot forsee regardless of who wins this November, hearing on TV the announcer intoning "From the Oval Office, Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States....

"Good evening my fellow Americans. Tonight I speak to you on the need we have for a strong and viable intercity rail passenger system....."

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just visited John Kerry's web page and read the following:

"John Kerry understands that revitalizing rural communities requires capital, infrastructure, and technology....He has supported rural transportation initiatives that would expand Amtrak’s service to more of America’s rural cities and towns."

I have been surprised to hear the comment, from some fairly intelligent people, "it doesn't matter who the next president will be." Nothing could be further from the truth.

From stem cell research to Amtrak to going to Mars, the President helps set the tone for the future simply by expressing his opinion from his "bully pulpit."

If Bush was not president, we probably would not be 1) involved in Iraq 2) arresting the development of stem cell research and 3) starving Amtrak to death.

But I don't mean to sound partisan here. Some of Amtrak's greatest friends were probably Republican. Afterall, if it were not for Richard Nixon, Amtrak might not even exist. And history shows that Jimmy Carter was one of Amtrak's biggest foes.

Even history has played a part in Amtrak's survival. The horror of 9/11 helped insure Amtrak's survival because when all the planes were grounded, the trains were running on schedule.

My understanding of the facts are that the Bush administration is no friend of Amtrak.

Bush has called for the privitization of passenger rail service and the elimination of long-haul lines. Bush nominated a man to oversee transportation (Mineta) that appears to be no friend of passenger rail. Bush has proposed a 2005 budget for Amtrak that has been called by David Gunn, a "shut down number."

Frankly, I don't understand how David Gunn has managed to survive as President of Amtrak in the Bush Administration. The fact that he has not been fired is one of the few good things the Bush Administration has done for our pasenger rail service.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-25-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Items such as The Budget are generated by the White House initially, and it is they who put in the initial amount of Amtrak funding. It is then sent over to Congress for approval and the process you describe, Mr. Norman, is carried out. Congress then alters numbers following the pecular political process.

I am not sure whether budget approval is considered "legislation" per se, but that is probably splitting hairs.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The President proposes, the Congress disposes" was the phrase I was taught. I will respectfully disagree with Mr. Norman's comment that Clinton "got most of his agenda enacted", since Congress was in the hands of the other party for six of his eight years. That makes it tough for a chief executive.

I don't want this to turn into a polical discussion, but I also feel it necessary to point out that large cuts in Amtrak service only have occurred twice since 1971 -- 1980 and 1995 -- and in both cases, the president was a Democrat.

That having been said, the Bush administration seems to have no coherent policy on transportation in general and rail in particular. I decried the policy vacuum at the Federal Railroad Administration when Clinton was president. The bad news is that, under Bush, nothing has changed. Alan Rutter -- a competent, thoughtful administrator -- went back to Texas because nobody at the White House ever asked his opinion on anything. Such pronouncements as the Bush administration has made about Amtrak were made without consulting anyone at FRA!

But none of that means I'll vote for John Kerry. 'Nuff said.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is no question that a northeastern politician like Kerry has been and will continue to be more friendly to Amtrak than the current administration.

I also have a whole slew of other--and larger--reasons why I think the current administration has to go.

I used to be a Republican myself, so I sympathize with those of you who have not made the change. But I urge you to investigate further.

Not that I am so enamored of Kerry. But I will hold my nose and vote for him, no question.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I used to be a Republican myself....

Same here. Today's GOP is not the one I signed up for 26 years ago. I'm an Indie now.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's difficulties also stem from congested freight rail lines. If the profit motive (incentive payments to freight RRs for on-time service) were increased...say doubled...would that motivate laggards like UP to assist getting the Amtrak's trains over its lines faster?

I'd love to see expanded Amtrak service also, along with a steadier funding source. But with trains like the Sunset routinely running 4-6-8 hours late, is that something that politics can fix? [I suppose "yes" if it involves grand scale capital projects to add extra mains/passing sidings/passenger cars. But I see funding that as unrealistic, at least for long distance trains]

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page