RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rail Tour...am I crazy?

Author Topic: Rail Tour...am I crazy?
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people at work think I am nuts for doing the Sunset Ltd. (LAX-Orlando-LAX) but how is this one. Can someone tell me if my connections will work? At least I am related to the (sorry folks) airline industry and can fly free.
Sunday-Southwest Chief LAX-CHI arrive Tuesday and overnight in CHI
Wednesday Southwest Chief CHI-LAX arrive on Friday and fly to Chicago overnight in Chicago.
Saturday California Zepher CHI-Emmeryville Arrive Monday and overnight in EMM.
Tuesday California Zepher EMM-CHI Arrive Wednesday Overnight in CHI.
Thursday Empire Builder CHI-SEA Arrive Saturday then turn around that afternoon SEA-CHI on Empire Builder Arrive Monday to CHI overnight in Chicago.
Tuesday Empire Builder CHI-POR Arrive Thursdy then that afternoon turn around and come back to CHI via Empire Builder arrive Saturday Overnight in CHI and fly back home to Vegas on Sunday.
Whew

Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit masochistic, even in Sleeper (please don't tell the Forum you were planning to do such in Coach)!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-26-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three times between east Montana and Chicago could be a little wearying... but why not!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little confused, the builder four straight trips? You could mix it up and take a different route during that time.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd find it boring to take a train in one direction and then backtrack, the following day, along the very same route. Montana viewed from the right side of the train looks pretty much like Montana viewed from the left side of the train. And there's a lot of Montana. I've been there.

Even if you travel entirely by sleeper, I predict that (with your current itinerary) you'll burn out midway through your Chicago-Seattle leg on the Empire Builder.

And if you'll be cooling your heels in coach? Your adventure is likely to get "old" sooner. Probably far sooner.

At the very least, I recommend a more imaginative routing, one where you won't cover the same trackage twice. For example: L.A-Chicago-Emeryville-Seattle-Chicago-New Orleans-L.A. Naturally, there are other ways to route it as well.

Then again, if you're truly nuts, who am I to burst your bubble?

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 06-27-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO IT!!! DO IT!!! JUST DO IT!!!

I did the SW Chief, LSL, Cardinal and SW Chief back.

All trips afforded FANTASTIC views of America and you are SO lucky to live where you can do this trip!

I experienced a lightening storm I'll NEVER forget (video I took looks great too!) and had dramas and set backs that made the trip a trip of a lifetime!

Just DO it dude... also on the SW Chief back from Chicago to LA I did coach (had both seats to myself) as sleepers were fully booked out and when the staff lost their carriage to the fire I saw the best of Amtrak as the staff really did go the extra mile!

I just wrote and sent an email to Amtrak and instantly got a reply... could be a set format reply with a few edits but never mind... I wrote...

Topic: About Amtrak Trains or Service
Subject: Recent Trip

I was recently in the United States and took trains from LA to Chicago 9th June
SW Chief, Chicago to Albany 12th June, Lake Shore Limited and on the return
Indianapolis to Chicago 21st June, Cardinal? and then Chicago to LA 21st June SW
Chief.

I would like it known that I was completely satisfied with the level of excellence shown by your staff on those trains. The meals were also excellent and all involved have my hearty thanks.

Although the SW Chief I took back to LA on the 21st was 12 hours late due to fire and other breakdowns I still take my hat off to the staff who did a very good job in such difficult circumstances.

I will not hesitate in using Amtrak again the next time I travel to the US or
telling my friends and anyone else who wants to know what a great trip I had with Amtrak.

I hope those in Government do not allow such a valuable asset to be lost.

The reply was:

Dear Rhett M Boivin,

Thank you for your kind words about the service we provided when you traveled on
Amtrak. We apologize for the delays that occurred on your trip.

We are tremendously proud of our dedicated and talented employees who go above
and beyond their assigned duties to deliver outstanding levels of customer
service. It is our highest priority to ensure that we do all we can to provide
our valued customers with a safe and enjoyable trip.

We have forwarded your comments on to the appropriate supervisors so that
commendations might be made.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that you are happy with our
efforts. We know that our goals are being met when we receive a response such
as yours. We look forward to the privilege of serving you again.

Sincerely,
Maggie
Amtrak Customer Service

Flying sucks - do the Train and if you're lucky you too will have an adventure!!!!!

P.S. Getting out of the train at Needles was an eye opener... 120+ degrees!!!! Damn that's hot!! LOL

I even managed to get a photo of two Bison just out of Alber(how do I spell it)qurque?
I've never seen REAL Bison before!!!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Merl:
I'm a little confused, the builder four straight trips? You could mix it up and take a different route during that time.

Yes remember it splits in Spokane so I can see all ends of the train.

Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Merl:

Yes remember it splits in Spokane

ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I am crazy and should have had my head examined for even thinking such a crazy idea as doing that trip. I was originally planing on Sunset Ltd. next year in one week round trip. Yesterday Ithink it was it arrived into Orlando 12 hours LATE! In two years (2006) I'll do the Sunset so I have cusion dates...next year I'll do the Southwest Chief round trip.
quote:
Originally posted by ScottC4746:
Some people at work think I am nuts for doing the Sunset Ltd. (LAX-Orlando-LAX) but how is this one. Can someone tell me if my connections will work? At least I am related to the (sorry folks) airline industry and can fly free.
Sunday-Southwest Chief LAX-CHI arrive Tuesday and overnight in CHI
Wednesday Southwest Chief CHI-LAX arrive on Friday and fly to Chicago overnight in Chicago.
Saturday California Zepher CHI-Emmeryville Arrive Monday and overnight in EMM.
Tuesday California Zepher EMM-CHI Arrive Wednesday Overnight in CHI.
Thursday Empire Builder CHI-SEA Arrive Saturday then turn around that afternoon SEA-CHI on Empire Builder Arrive Monday to CHI overnight in Chicago.
Tuesday Empire Builder CHI-POR Arrive Thursdy then that afternoon turn around and come back to CHI via Empire Builder arrive Saturday Overnight in CHI and fly back home to Vegas on Sunday.
Whew

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you've scrapped the idea of starting with #1. But this odyssey that you're describing - 3 weeks of travel - would test even the most diehard foamer! Not to mention that 3 weeks of baggage in a standard room is going to take up a lot of space. I thought you told us last week that you were going to spread this project out over 50 years - how about going at it a little slower and leaving yourself something to look forward to?
I'm going to side with those who think that taking the train out and back sounds a little boring. I think you can put together a circular route for the fall and a counter-circular route in, say, March that would get you the round trip that you want without making this sound like such a project. Also, if you went out on the SW Chief and back on the Zephyr ( as an example), it would take you a week and you would have the opportunity to see what kind of equipment/clothing/reading you'd like to have with you on subsequent trips.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page