RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » BN Commute

Author Topic: BN Commute
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a horrible clip of some one hit by a BN commuter train(i recemond dont watch it) and i was wondering where BN ran there commuter service?
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BN ran commuter service in the Chicago area on former Burlington lines. I believe all commuter services there are now run by Metra (Chicago's version of Metrolink, but with a lot more lines)
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I once found myself linked to a "rather graphic' website that contained the material noted by Mr. Chubbes. Just as well, the authorities will always place tarpolins about a personal injury scene before they permit imaging for general circulation by the media.

Otherwise, I should note there is a subtle difference between fact and Mr. Palmer's well-intentioned statement 'I believe all commuter services are now run by METRA". In the case of the BNSF service, which is often considered the "best of the best" here in the Chicago area, the service is actually provided by a "purchase of service' Agreement between METRA and the BNSF. This results in what could be called a "turnkey' operation. BNSF clearly wants their corporate identity to be part of the service. Train crews are employed by BNSF and wear BNSF uniforms. So do, and their presence is much more visible post-Madrid, BNSF police officers (sworn peace officers, not 'rent a cops", BTW).

Also many a car, namely those previously acquired by the CB&Q, are marked with BNSF heralds.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-28-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Union Pacific also has a similar deal with Metra. Metra provides the cars and locomotives, and Union Pacific is responsible for operations, staffing, and maintenance as well. I have noticed that BNSF is rather insistent on displaying their logo over everything, the conductors, schedules, rolling stock, etc. Union Pacific conductors, on the other hand, wear Metra uniforms. Interesting, how that works...

It was kind of funny that after UP took over commuter operations from the Chicago & Northwestern in 1995, they treated Metra trains much like they treat Amtrak now - but that quickly changed after receiving thousands of complaints from local commuters. Now both UP and BNSF Metra trains run very efficiently and on time.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been out that way, but photos in Trains and other magazines show the ex-Burlington line as well manicured triple track.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The former Burlington hasn't changed; it's still "well manicured triple track" with a 79 MPH speed limit.

I vividly recall a 1968 trip east from Oakland, CA on the California Zephyr. When we got east of Aurora, I got my first look at "gallery" commuter cars -- from a dome! We barreled down the center track, passing "scoots" left and right. A great ending to the most wonderful train trip I ever took.

BNSF's VP of Passenger Operations, DJ Mitchell, is quite proud of the service he operates -- and justifiably so.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page