RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief

Author Topic: Southwest Chief
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any suggestions on SW Chief? I will be going probably in October or Noveber (off peak) in a standard sleeper. How limited is the menu between Los Angeles and Fullerton?
What side of the train offers the best views? I have heard somewhere thing even up odd down refering to room numbers. I thought they were letters not numbers.
Scott

Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Having just completed a return journey on the SW Chief I'd say it does not matter what side you sit on... the viewliner car is pretty good for seeing both sides anyway... I thought the scenery was fantastic and the ride very good.... Also I thought the food was excellent too! I tried the French toast, the Omlette, Stuffed Peppers, steak, eggs with hash browns, chicken steak and burgers.... all of it was very well cooked and well worth the price of the sleeper.

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I was really concerned about was according to the schedule it says "A limited menu is available on Train 4 departing Los Angeles and Fullerton and on Train 3 the morning arriving at Los Angeles."
I take this to mean that the dinner out of Los Angeles consists of Hot Dogs and Hamburgers and the breakfast into Los Angeles consists of Croisonts and cinnimon rolls.

Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I boarded the eastbound SWC at Fullerton in late May. Limited menu meant that I had a steak! Actually, I was handed the regular menu and could order anything. The only thing is that we had to go immediately to the diner upon boarding.

Brian

Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took the #3 westbound last September breakfast on arrival morning was only served between 05.00 and 06.00am. Eggs and bacon, juice & coffee were available but no yoghurt,pancakes or french toast etc. All meals were on paper plates with plastic cutlery.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastbound it's limited because of the late(ish) departure. I would guess they quote it as limited because of the "last orders" situation by the time it gets to Fullerton. If they still have the full range of items available, then so much the better.

Westbound the inbound crews have to have the train cleaned before they arrive, so plastic cutlery and paper plates can go straight into the bin, no (or little) washing up required.

That reminds me of the UK's Bristol to Birmingham service (and points beyond). It's under 2 hours, about 100 miles. Buffet car opens about 1/2 hour into the trip and closes 30-45 mins after that "for stocktaking purposes while we change crews in Birmingham". Why stocktaking takes longer than selling is beyond me. My point being they should limit non-customer activities to outside of customer hours. Do hotels clean your room on your morning of departure before you've left the room?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly off thread I know, but have Amtrak ever considered joining long distance routes together to form a longer through service? eg continuing the SWC on from LA as the Northbound Starlight, or the southbound Starlight as the eastbound Sunset Ltd etc? I suppose the main reason against would be the knock on effect if a train was badly delayed...
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry
Member # 3329

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kerry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief is a good ride. I've done it several times from Lamy to LA and lots of times from Lamy to Gallup. When you stop in Albuquerque, make sure you visit Cheryl's Bus Store. Real 1960's! A Native American guide usually gives a talk and shows some videos in the lounge car as you travel through the pueblos between Albuquerque and Gallup.

Have fun!

Posts: 1 | From: Santa Fe, NM, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Westbound the inbound crews have to have the train cleaned before they arrive, so plastic cutlery and paper plates can go straight into the bin, no (or little) washing up required.

When I took the Southwest Chief westbound in 2002 and we were running about five hours late, there was nothing limited about the last breakfast: the full menu was available, and it was served on the regular china. Presumably, that's because they were going to have plenty of time to wash everything before we arrived in L.A.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think the paper plates are not so common as I've been on several morning arrivals with proper crockery, albeit starting and finishing earlier than normal.

One exception to this was a late arrival on the California Zephyr into Chicago, running 7 hours late where we and the entire train were served free tinned stew in paper bowls. Arrival in Chicago was shortly after so they wouldn't have wanted to wash up 300 dinner plates and cutlery (fair enough I say!).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got in from the eastbound Lake Shore Limited today, July 5th, and we had plastic in the dining car for all meals. This was a first for me!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, Mr. JP--

If this is "the wave of the future", oh, oh!!!

Hopefully, it was simply a case of the Diner's dishwasher was bad ordered. Sorry, you were inconvenienced, but since this was the final leg of a X-country trip (as you have reported on the various Forums at which we both participate), you had other opportunities to experience "the full regallia".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we are talking about the Southwest Chief and dining aboard Amtrak, will share my experience from a recent cross country trip, just completed: LA (departed July 2) -CHI (departed July 4) - NYP. I was aboard the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited - sleeper all the way.

Enjoyed the Southwest Chief (SWC) portion of the trip (LA to Chicago). Appreciated the scenery of the SWC a lot more than in my previous trips. We had two sets of commentary between Gallup, NM and La Junta, CO (Native American and Volunteer Rangers from the Rails & Trails program). This was a really nice and added to the trip! Met some nice people aboard this train and enjoyed the rest and relaxation while travelling. I slept soundly through the night with minimal tossing and turnings - unlike the Chicago - NYP leg of the trip aboard the Lake Shore Limited.

Unlike the Lake Shore Limited, the dining staff on the Southwest Chief had a very poor attitude. I was really shocked by some of their actions. On my previous Southwest Chief trips, dining staff has usually been very good - so not sure what happened this time. We had silverware and china though - except for dinner leaving LA! Food was average - have had better on Amtrak. On the Southwest Chief, we had an older diner, older Sightseer Lounge, about 4 coaches, renovated Superliner I sleeper (where I was assigned), an older Superliner I, Transition Dorm (no revenue space being sold there), and several Express and Mail cars tacked on the rear.

Of all the Chicago - NYP trips I have taken over the past three years (via Capitol Limited, Three Rivers, Lake Shore Limited), for business or pleasure, this had to be the worst trip. I'll refrain from some of the details, but some highlights:

Departed Chicago eastbound on the Lake Shore Limited on July 4th. We were delayed nearly an hour out of Chicago due to servicing the diner and some sort of problem with the lounge. I believe they were awaiting the plastic silverware for the diner! All connecting long distance trains were into Chicago so no late departure due to that. Purely an Amtrak serving delay that was probably avoidable - as the equipment had been in the station nearly all day.

Dining crew on the "Late for Sure" was also more to be desired - good attitude, but took forever to get drinks and food. Sat at the table for at least an hour and half awaiting a western omlette. Diner was ancient and Viewliner was showing its age.

Sleeper attendants were pretty good on both trains.

Nonetheless, appreciate the option of having Amtrak around as a mode of transportation!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
regarding original question - standard rooms 1-10 upstairs, 11-14 downstairs, deluxe rooms A-E upstairs, H(andicapped) and F(amily) downstairs
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
One exception to this was a late arrival on the California Zephyr into Chicago, running 7 hours late where we and the entire train were served free tinned stew in paper bowls.

On the CZ four years ago, when we were running about 4 hours late into Emeryville (but weren't served dinner, which made me a kinda cranky at the end), I was talking to the cafe attendant. She said they always keep a supply of canned stew on board for emergencies and extreme delays.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Mr Toy - that's exactly what was explained to us when they served it!

That's a lot of tins of stew though. Where do they store it along with all the other food? Even 300 paper plates take up an appreciable amount of space, along with plastic cutlery.

Has anyone any photos of the kitchen area of the diner?

Geoff M.

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IN reference to jp 1822's comments regarding the poor dining car crew on the SW Chief,It has been my experience that crews that do a good job and care about their work, tend to bid together on a crew with similar minded coworkers, consequently what usually happens is that you have a couple crews that end up together by default with them being the mediocre,or less, performers. Thus when you run into a bad crew, its quite often the whole crew because no one wants to work with them, so they get stuck with like minded coworkers.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does this look for "unit cohesion". http://www.crewten.com/meet_the_crew.html

Off topic; "We" who served in 'Nam missed it; considering the efforts made to "rotate'troops as a unit, it appears that the Armed Forces are not about to make the same mistake wtth the current conflict in Iraq.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Can't help thinking that jp1822 had the same dining-car crew that I had on the SWC last September. They were a nightmare...
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Contrast to my July Southwest Chief dining crew, I had a great dining crew in April. Difference - all were new employees on the April trip. There were two stewards actually (one in training and the trainer). Even the waitstaff was relatively new.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page