RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Explore America --- By Coach!

Author Topic: Explore America --- By Coach!
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Expore America --- By Coach!

By Charles Reuben (shawnee@unm.edu)

I stare out the window at a few clouds hanging over a vast expanse of empty desert, dotted with thirsty pinon trees.

"Flyover country," they call it.

I quit flying several years ago because my eardrums burst when the plane touched down, landing me in the emergency room. Despite that, I can still travel long distances, thanks to Amtrak.

Last December I treated myself to a 5,198-mile train ride through America that cost me $340.

I visited Milwaukee, New York and Montreal starting from (and returning to) my home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I bought an "Explore America Pass" that allowed me to make three stopovers in any of the cities Amtrak serves.

Actually, the trip cost me $40. American Express paid the rest. They gave me six $50 Amtrak gift certificates when I sent them $110 for their prestigious "Green Card." (And they later refunded a good portion of that $110 after I canceled the card a few months later.)

I climbed aboard The Southwest Chief in Albuquerque at 1 p.m. on a crisp wintry day and settled into a large, reclining coach seat on its lower level, right across from the bathrooms.

After the conductor collected my ticket, I went to the café car and bought a bottle of cabernet sauvignon for $8. There I met Robert Kahn.

Bob writes the editorial page of the North County Times in Escondido, California. His last plane ride was on Sept. 10, 2001. He stopped flying after he read wire stories about the last cell phone calls passengers made to their spouses before their planes slammed into the twin towers.

Bob reminisced about Albuquerque: "Ten years ago I lived here briefly on skid row, escaping an insane wife, fired from a lousy job, listening to drunks fight on the other side of a flimsy wall, wondering when the gunshots would start, clutching a bottle of beer.

"Now I'm on vacation, heading east to see the love of my life, whom I have seen only once, briefly, in the past thirty-one years."

I asked him about his new governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"He's just Gray Davis with muscles," Kahn said. "All California's problems could be solved if he just hiked the price of gas 20 cents a gallon, but he won't do that."

It was still dark at 7 a.m. when the Southwest Chief pulled into Kansas City for a long service stop. I brushed my teeth and then accidentally flushed a paper towel down the toilet. This clogged the plumbing and caused all the other bathrooms in my car to soon be declared "out of order."

Delouris, the attendant, promised they would be fixed before long. Fortunately, the bathrooms in the other cars worked. When I got back to my seat, a husky blind man had taken the place of the pretty young lady who had been sitting next to me.

"It's like musical chairs around here," I yelled to Delouris.

The vestibule was crammed with luggage and she was working hard to keep the aisles clear.

"Is that supposed to be a joke?" she muttered.

"I call that Chicago humor."

"Well, I don't appreciate Chicago humor," she snapped. "I've got a trainload of passengers to keep track of and I'm not in the mood for Chicago humor."

We crossed the Mississippi River at 10:30 a.m. I was seated in the observation car, feeling sore from sleeping on a seat with worn-out cushions. I had gotten some rest thanks to a remarkable sleeping pill my doctor had prescribed. A single pill knocked me out for eight solid hours even though I was surrounded by noisy children, amorous adults, cell phones, CD and DVD players.

At noon the bathrooms in my car were still broken and I mentioned this fact to Delouris.

"Since it's a weekend," she said, "the bathrooms won't be fixed unless Amtrak is willing to spend $65 an hour to hire somebody -- my mistake in misleading you." She playfully slapped herself on the cheek as though she had been bad.

The Southwest Chief finally arrived in Chicago on time, about 24 hours after leaving New Mexico. I slipped Delouris a dollar on the way out, which she gratefully accepted.

I gazed in awe at Union Station's Great Hall, with its soaring domed skylight, marble floors and Roman columns. My feet fell naturally into gentle impressions left by millions of travelers on a marble staircase leading to Canal Street.

I climbed aboard Amtrak's Hiawatha for a 90-minute train ride to Milwaukee to visit my old college buddy.

Owen took me to the Milwaukee Art Museum, which looked like a cross between a Galactic battle cruiser and a sea gull. At noon the museum's addition -- the Quadracci Pavilion -- turned into a colossal moving sculpture when a huge sunscreen suspended over the glass-walled lobby was lowered and raised.

Santiago Calatrava built the pavilion, the same architect who will design the $2 billion commuter-rail station at the World Trade Center site.

After touring the museum, I begged Owen, an orthodox Jew, to take me to Miller Valley, home of the second largest brewer in the US.

"A Miller rep told me their beer was certified Kosher," I said.

"I don't need no damn hechsher on my beer before I'll drink it!" he barked.

I misheard him.

"I am not lecturing you!" I cried.

It turns out a "hechsher" is the little symbol found on a food label that certifies it as being Kosher. And, it seems that most domestic beers are Kosher with or without the symbol.

We had a good laugh when that was all cleared up.

The Miller tour began with a multi-screened video Owen called "the longest beer commercial" he had ever seen. We were led through the vast packaging plant, shipping center, brew house and the creepy "historical caves" while being doused with tons of statistics.

We finally arrived at Miller Inn, built in 1892, where we were rewarded with three large free samples of beer. Our guide said she knew a man who has been taking the tour every week for five years because of the free beer.

Next morning I returned to Chicago on the Hiawatha and checked my bags in the coin-operated lockers at Union Station. At $1.25 a half-hour it was not much of a bargain, but it felt great to be free as a bird.

I flagged down a trolley that catered to Christmas shoppers and got a tour of the shopping district and the Magnificent Mile. I saw the historic water tower -- the only thing left after the great fire of 1871 -- Soldier's Field and the Tribune Towers.

A few hours later I was back in the jammed waiting room at Union Station, on Christmas Eve, sitting next to a pay phone that wouldn't stop ringing.

My train, The Lake Shore Limited was practically empty when we finally left Chicago, two hours late.

Unlike The Southwest Chief, 120-volt outlets are plentiful on the East Coast trains and can be used to power electronic devices and recharge cell phones. (A surge protector is a good thing to bring along.)

I inflated my neck pillow, plugged in my heating pad, covered myself with a blanket and made a cup of tea using an immersion heater.

My seatmate was a Southern gentleman named Roderick, born in North Carolina and now living in Montana. Rod had strong opinions about evolution and the environment and seemed determined to get my goat. But since we seemed to agree on just about everything, the goats stayed where they belonged.

On Christmas morning I watched empty freeways and businesses, stately Victorian homes, red brick factory buildings and churches with towering spires pass by. I wasn't sure if I was in Rochester or Syracuse. Riding the rails had become like wandering through an art museum: I was ignoring the labels and focusing my attention on all the pretty pictures.

The train raced along the Hudson River in a Southerly direction. Vast factories and storage tanks replaced towns and then came hills and giant rock formations. Well-heeled mansions sitting on sizeable estates soon caught my attention.

As night fell, we rode beneath the Hudson River into black tunnels that delivered us, three hours late, into Penn Station. My sister Shelly was outside waiting in her car on 34th Street with a chicken sandwich, spinach pie and a cupcake.

We cautiously inched our way down Broadway and entered into the heart of Times Square. A Liz Claiborne model glared down at me from a billboard, news headlines streamed across the front of buildings and the logos of companies like JVC and Toyota helped turn night into day.

Shelly double-parked on a side street next to Lord and Taylor's so I could study their display windows. A series of intricate dioramas told the story of Virginia, the girl who wrote a letter to her local newspaper, asking whether there really is a Santa Claus. The next edition printed the famous column, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."

In the morning, Shelly and I drove to Central Manhattan to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and check out its daguerreotype show. Louis Daguerre created the world's first photograph when he exposed an image on a silver-coated plate in 1839.

Buildings and monuments were first used as subjects because exposure times were interminably long. Portraits became popular when exposure times got shorter and they became really popular when people started taking off their clothes in front of the camera.

The erotic daguerreotypes were all the rage with the museum crowd, especially the ones where the models were engaged in "audacious poses," such as, "Two Young Women Entwined, 1848."

Even more audacious was the cost of parking in the Met's garage: $26 for three hours.

Our next destination was The New York Transit Museum, aptly located in a decommissioned subway station in Brooklyn Heights. The 60,000 sq. ft. facility is the largest museum dedicated to public transportation in the US, spanning over 100 years of New York transit history.

My sister and I studied a number of antique and modern turnstiles, boarded 19 subway trains dating from 1904, checked out their seats and hung from their straps.

After emerging from that subterranean museum, we walked along the spectacular promenade in Brooklyn Heights overlooking the Hudson River, the New York skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.

I left for Canada the next morning. The Penn Station lobby was absolute chaos because Hillary Clinton was speaking next door at Madison Square Garden. A heavily armed soldier in army fatigues approached me and asked why my knapsack was blinking. I opened my pack and showed him a bicycle taillight that I use at night to flag down buses and cabs. It had somehow turned itself on.

Security closely examined my passport ("You got a haircut," said the inspector) and three people checked my ticket before I even boarded The Adirondack.

I found a window seat to myself with plenty of overhead storage space, stowed away my bags, threw off my boots and put on a cozy pair of Acorn slippers. I hooked up my heating pad and made a cup of tea using the electrical outlet next to my seat. We were soon racing northbound beside the Hudson.

At 3 p.m. we approached Lake Champlain, our train flanked by cliffs and birch trees. Fluorescent lichen clung to solid rock beneath gray skies and misty mountains.

Choppy waves lapped the shoreline, reflecting the angry heavens. Rivers poured down from the Adirondack Mountains, rushing into the lake while the locomotive's whistle blasted through the wilderness. We climbed northward along a single, lonely track and pulled off on a railroad siding to let the southbound train pass.

After clearing customs we crossed the St. Lawrence Seaway and entered Montreal at 6:30 p.m. Suddenly everybody was speaking French and exchanging what looked like play money.

I arrived in Ottawa, the capitol of Canada, on a swank, though cramped, Voyageur Bus.

My sister Linda put me up at the historic Albert House Inn, a charming B&B built in 1875. She made fun of Amtrak, calling it Am-Schlep.

The next day we toured the Canadian Museum of Civilization and its featured exhibit, "Ancient Treasures and the Dead Sea Scrolls." I found myself staring at a fragment of 2,150-year-old, first edition biblical text. That fragile parchment influenced more people than Mel Gibson and Steven Spielberg combined.

My secular mind could only stand so much culture, however, and I was relieved when Paul, my brother-in-law, suggested we hit the bars.

Ottawa has a great many watering holes. My favorite was Pub Italia, modeled after a Belgian Church, in the heart of Ottawa's Little Italy. I was told the bar boasts many loyal customers who are members of the clergy.

We walked through its chapel and found a seat in the abbey beneath a large glossy oil painting of the Virgin Mary, with a snake at her feet. Our server, Elen, gave us a menu, bound in leather, on which was stamped, in gold type, the word, "Bible." Opening it, we found The Pub Italia Prayer:

"Our lager
Which art in barrels
Hollowed be thy drink
Thy will be drank
Not at home but at Pub Italia
Give us this day our foamy head
And forgive us for our spillages
As we forgive those who spill against us
And lead us not into intoxication
But deliver us from hangovers
For thine is the beer
The bitter and the lager
Forever and ever, Barmen."

My vacation time was running out. I returned to Montreal and jumped on the southbound Adirondack.

I connected with The Lake Shore Limited in Schenectady, NY for a roller coaster ride on tracks poorly maintained by the freight companies. Breakfast in the dining car lifted my spirits: Spinach quiche with a side order of potatoes, a flaky croissant and a buttermilk pancake with orange juice and coffee, for $8, including tip.

During my six-hour layover at Union Station in Chicago I checked my bags in a locker and jumped on a city bus to the lake. As I approached Michigan Avenue, I saw a sign for the Chicago Architecture Foundation. I walked through the door and was told that the three-hour tour of historic skyscrapers would begin in one minute.

Our little group braved the freezing cold and visited the lobbies and exteriors of The Rookery, Field, Marquette, Monadnock, Fisher, Auditorium, Chicago Board of Trade and Santa Fe Buildings. I gazed in awe at the interior of the Continental Bank Building covered with classical murals and inspirational quotes such as,

"All the progress of men and nations is based upon sacredness of contracts." (CW Barron)

"First and foremost," our docent said, "Chicago was built as a place to make money. There are, after all, not many churches in the historic skyscraper area of Chicago. Commerce and industry is reflected everywhere."

The tour having finished, I crossed the street and purchased a delicious roast beef panini and drank an ale at the historic Berghoff Building on West Adams Street, built in 1872, one year after the Chicago fire.

I was refreshed when I returned to Union Station and climbed aboard The Southwest Chief for the conclusion of my East-Coast vacation whose highlight was, perhaps, the train ride itself, a ride that lasted 100 hours.

Few people seem to share the same passion I have for traveling by Amtrak. That is, until they have actually climbed aboard a long distance train. They say, "I don't have the time" or "I don't have the money" and even "I didn't know that passenger train travel still exists."

Well, it does exist and long distance train travel is growing steadily in popularity as more and more people get fed up with flying.

Copyright 2004 by Charles Reuben

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-30-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Chucky--

May I direct you to a line within the material that you chose to paste to this Forum:

Copyright 2004 by Charles Reuben (Please do not reproduce without my permission. Thanks!)

Wouldn't you say you kind of did just that?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mr. Norman,

Noted. Thanks! (Redundancy will disappear)

Chuck

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt if that is what is Mr. Reuben has in mind with regard to his copyrighted material.

To be more succinct, you may not copy his material, print or web, without his express permission to do so,

Obviously, you found this material on the web; why not provide a URL link to the page where it is located. This way, if the rights holder chooses to share his material, it can be reviewed by the Members. Likewise, if he choses to remove it, his right to do so is protected.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman,

I am Charles Reuben! (Really and truly!)

I just thought I'd post my story here before I tried to sell it. I mean, I think you guys are my friends and I trust you...

All I wanted was just a little feedback from people who I have learned to respect over the years. People post their railroad experiences to this forum all the time and I thought I'd give it a shot.

I spent a lot of time working on this piece, if the truth be known. And if you think it is worthy of being published, I'd love to have the name of the paper or the web page that would be in the least bit interested.

I regret whatever confusion I may have caused by sharing my experiences. I understand you were trying to protect intellectual property.

Cordially,

Chucky (alias Charles Reuben)

p.s. I don't have a web page but if you google my name and the word Amtrak you may find other stuff I have written. Or if you like stories about cruise ships, you can go to the following link:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-cruisejournal23feb23.story

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 06-30-2004).]

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the best trip report I've ever read, Chucky. Thanks a mil. Worth every minute of your time. I hope you enjoyed it - I did.
John Andrew

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent writing, quite enjoyable.

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I apologize, Mr. Reuben

Why can't people "come out' from their durned screen names.

Gilbert B Norman is my legal name; I have been active at railroad forums since 1999 and have yet to be on the wrong end of anything resulting from the participation.

And even though my travels are and will continue to be in accomodations "from the other side of the diner", I respect your views and further respect that you can have an enjoyable travel experience riding Coach.

That I simply could not is my loss.

There is no reason in this world I could think of you as other than a friend.

GBN

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-30-2004).]

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Dear Mr. Norman,

No need to apologize. The angry, bleeding heart, liberal views that I have expressed in the past on this forum make me an easy target for suspicion. In the end, I celebrate any individual who makes a stand for intellectual property.

I also thank those who have said kind things about my writing. A little positive reinforcement goes a long way when one dreams of being a wordsmith.

In a few days I will board the Southwest Chief to visit a friend in Chicago. This trip will cost me nothing because of the points I have accumulated on my Guest Rewards Card. Perhaps I will share my reflections of that trip with y'all as well.

Mr. Norman, I am pleased that you respect my views etc from "the other side of the diner." Although I am 47 years old, I suspect that there will come a day when I will share that side of the diner with you.

Yours in Amtrak,

Chuck (to my friends) Reuben

p.s. I will investigate the possibility of changing my screen name to something more genuine. I have always believed that honesty is a virtue and I suppose that every person should cultivate at least one virtue.

whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
In a few days I will board the Southwest Chief to visit a friend in Chicago.

Have fun and remember the lesson learned from your last excursion. No paper towel in the toilet!

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chucky - good report!! Just one comment -- on your first trip on the SWC, you indicated your seat was across from the bathroom. Were you sitting in a lower level area? Bathrooms on Superliners are in the lower level; most seating is in the upper level.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:

I climbed aboard The Southwest Chief in Albuquerque and settled into a large, reclining coach seat on its lower level, right across from the bathrooms.

He was in lower level seating

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
A lower level seat can be reserved from an Amtrak agent when you buy your ticket. Such seats are normally given to elderly and handicapped individuals. In my case, I had just gotten over a bad knee injury and Amtrak accommodated my request.

A request for a lower level seat must be made when you buy your ticket, long before you board the train. There are not many seats available and they are very much in demand. Often times, a passenger will be asked to pay an additional premium for the seat.

I did not want enter into a discussion about lower level seats in my travelogue but it is certainly an intriguing topic.

----Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 07-01-2004).]

MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,
I'd like to place a link to this travelogue on my Southwest Chief Web site. The site has links to travelogues from the train. And there are many such reports on line.

I haven't updated the site or the links in a while. I plan to do that later this summer after I return from a trip on the Calif. Zephyr.
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/ http://www.trainweb.org/moksrail/swchief.htm

Doug in Kansas City area

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Hi Doug,

I don't know much about the web, really. I'm pretty good at surfing it, but that's about it.

I don't have a web site and you're the first person who has shown an interest in my story.

Could you please send an e-mail to me (shawnee@unm.edu) so that we could figure out a way to display the travelogue in a nice font and format. I used to be a printer in the newspaper profession and presentation is very important to me.

Thank you for asking and I look forward to talking to you soon.

Chuck Reuben

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 07-01-2004).]

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Chucky--

May I suggest you clarify this onle line of text?

"As night fell, we rode beneath the Hudson River into black tunnels that delivered us, three hours late, into Penn Station"

The Lake Shore crosses the Hudson somewhat North of Albany. From there it proceeds Southward along the Hudson's East Bank and thence Manhattan's West Side to Penn Station.

Might I refer to the approach to Penn Station as running through "caverns". Your use of tunnel implies that the Lake Shore approaches Penn through either the East River or Hudson River tunnels; neither (absent a June 2002 emergency) is simply the case.

A great read, I'm certain your quality journalism will find a publisher.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-02-2004).]

Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
"As night fell, we rode through caverns that delivered us, three hours late, into Penn Station."

Something like that.

A million thanks Mr. Norman for the feedback and the kind words.

I'd much rather embarrass myself in front of this railforum than have to suffer the wrath of editors and fact checkers. (I guess that's what friends are for.)

I agree with your argument that posting one's real name is a good thing. I e-mailed railforum's contact person asking him to change my screen name to "Charles Reuben," but I think he has more pressing matters on his plate.

I don't want to start from scratch as a member, so I guess I will have to remain "Chucky."

---Chuck

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Don't feel bad, Mr. Chucky, I've been known to catch a few "fact checkers" for widely published authors "asleep at the switch'.

Most flagrant (and what hurt so much because it could have been so good) recently was the David Baldacci novel "The Christmas Train". From what it appeared, the author dispatched a production assistant to ride Wash-Chi on the Capitol Ltd, but for a Chi-LA trip on the Chief, the author's imagination simply ran wild. Case in point: an avalanche at Raton Pass was going to cause the train to fall off the cliff and down into a valley. I ask what valley at Raton? You've "been there done that', Chucky; likely you ask same. The rest of the Chi-LA plot gets too absurd to even mention.

Actually, one of the best widely published authors out there for "fact checking" is John J. Nance. While his tales largely relate to adventures surrounding aircraft, he has periodically had characters riding Amtrak, principally in the Corridor. I find his descriptions of Amtrak travel there to be quite accurate.

I also thank you, Chucky, for your interest and respect for our architecture here in Chicago.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-02-2004).]

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed your post, Chucky. I am hoping to take the Lakeshore Limited and SW Chief early next year some time.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally had a chance to read the piece. I enjoyed you comment about the Milwaukee Art Museum looking like a cross between a galactic star cruiser and a seagull. I found a picture, and I see what you mean. http://www.mam.org/thebuilding/index.htm
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all come to Milwaukee & see for yourselves. It is truly a beautiful building inside as well as outside.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice journal of your trip; a fun read. The picture of you travelling in Winter, all cozy with your heating pad, slippers,pillow, and cuppa tea makes me realize I have been travelling woefully underequipped, LOL.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a very nice seafood restaurant (Pieces of Eight) right across the waterway from the Milwaukee museum and, at night, the museum is stunning. It is a very nice visual while you're waiting on your meal.

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 07-07-2004).]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page