RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Viewliner storage

Author Topic: Viewliner storage
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I will be traveling to Philadelphia from Chicago on the Three Rivers in August in a Viewliner sleeper. We were not able to get the deluxe, and will be in the standard bedroom. I know this has been discussed before, but my question relates to the amount of storage room that is above the wall at the ceiling location. How much will fit in there? We are used to the Super Liners, with the nice storage area at the lower level where we stash the luggage we won’t be using on the trip. That’s usually easier that checking the bag. But in the Viewliner there is no such storage area. We know we will have to pack light, and we may just check a bag through to Philadelphia, but how much will fit in the in room overhead storage area? Your help would be most welcome. We know it will be tight, but how tight?

Jim Fix

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best advice, Mr. Fix, especially since you were prepared to "spring" for a Deluxe is to go book a second Standard.

First, this will obviate your concerns regarding where to stow your belongings, but also will assure the comfort you expected when inquiring about a Deluxe.

Secondly, depending on supply and demand, two Standards will price out at less than a Deluxe.

The Three Rivers is a friendly little train, if Maria or Miss Vickie are your Sleeper Attendants please say hi for me. Likely they don't know me, but I certainly remember their exemplary service.

Posts: 9983 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowstonetim
Member # 3113

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Yellowstonetim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a trip. We had one of the small Walmart cheap roll on cases about 8x11x21. This small roll fit. It was just the right length and had plenty of room above. Next to it we put a day pack that was just as large. We also placed some smaller items (a camera case) with them. There was still room to squeeze a few things.

There is also plenty of room under the seats, and along side the seats on the armrests near the door.

We had the small roll on, two large day packs, one large hip pack, a large video/camera bag and a typical laptop case that was stuffed. The roll on, one day pack and a small camera case went up in the luggage rack. I placed the other day pack on a hanger and the hippack and video bab went under the seats.

Also, a larger roll on would stand up on the wide armrest and could be affixed with a bungie or using the "seat belt" they provide to hold clothes against the wall.

There was enough room that sometimes I would also put the one daypack under the seat.

If I go on a long trip again, I would take a larger collapsible bag and place several smaller bags within it. Then when I am in the room, remove and stow the smaller bags and stow the collapsed larger bag.

Posts: 18 | From: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reminded, once again, how we Americans carry WAY too much "stuff" on trips.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page