RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » beds in sleeper cars

Author Topic: beds in sleeper cars
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone could comment on the lower beds. I know from past experience with other modes of transportation involving converting a table and seats to a bed, they can be pretty uncomfortable. We are about to take a long trip involving 9 nights total, and am thinking about taking a single size air mattress. This would reduce the pressure of the bars etc that are inherit in this type of beds. Is this a problem, and is an air mattress advisable.

Thanks for any comments

Posts: 11 | From: Sonoma, Ca USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone has a different definition of comfort. Amtrak berths vary depending on how much use they've endured. But they're generally far more comfortable than your mother-in-law's old sofa bed.

An air mattress? Probably overkill. It might provide a bit of additional comfort, but could prove too wide or too long for such a tight space. The width of a lower berth in a standard room is 2' 4"; the lower berth in a deluxe room is 3' 4" wide. Plus, when the upper berth is down, the clearance will be so minimal that you'll repeatedly conk your head.

I hope you're not planning to spend nine consecutive nights on various trains. Even in a sleeper, that can be far more exhausting than you think. If you're not already planning to do so, give yourself a break and spend at least a night or two in various cities along the way.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with dilly on all points.

Actually, you don't sleep directly on the seat cushions. There is a thin mattress with the bedding sort of pre-made on it. The mattress is stored in the upper bunk during the day.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input. No the 9 nights are broken up. We leave on 7/16 via CZ to Chicago, then on to Boston on the LSL. We are staying in New England for 7 days; then getting out of Dodge before the Democratic National Convention!! We leave on 7/25 on LSL to chicago. We then will be in Chicago for 3 nights, playing 'tourist'; which we will be, come to think of it. We will board the EB for Seattle on 7/30. Staying 2 days in Seattle, again being a 'tourist'. Then the Coastal Starlight back to Martinez. 12 train days and 9 train nights in all.

Am really looking forward to this trip. If I have any experience worthing of posting, I will report back. Also open to any other ideas that may exist this vast body of knowledge.

Thanks again.

Lancet

Posts: 11 | From: Sonoma, Ca USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a not-so-good back and prefer a firm mattress. I've not had any trouble sleeping in the berths on the sleepers in either the deluxe or standard rooms. I agree with dilly that an air mattress would be overkill but might provide some comic relief for your neighbors.... If you find the mattresses in the sleepers uncomfortable on the first leg of your journey, then maybe you shop for a remedy when you are off the train. The only thing that comes to mind is a 'thermarest' type camping mattress which rolls up pretty small. These can be found at sporting goods outlets. Dimensions on the berths can be had on Amtrak's website. But, honestly, I don't think you'd have need to haul along an extra mattress.....
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Ok, mattress idea scrapped. Actually it is my wife who was worried. A restless night for the wife makes for a restless day for the husband! So I thought I would ask, Many thanks again.

lancet

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lancet:
If I have any experience worthing of posting, I will report back.

You will. Even if you have a plain vanilla trip, with nothing exciting whatsoever (unlikely) we regulars here will still want to know every teeny detail.

I was going to suggest the roll-up foam pad, until I realized it would probably require unmaking the bed and starting over.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kill to sleep a night in a sleeping car mattress.

Thats how long its been

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lancet:
Also open to any other ideas that may exist this vast body of knowledge.

My two "essentials" for every overnight summer train trip:

a) duct tape -- silences sundry squeaking and rattling in your room; helps fasten Amtrak's "shrunken window curtains" in place so the room stays dark while you sleep.

b) battery-powered camping fan -- sleeping compartments often get stuffy in extremely hot weather, especially if two people are traveling together. The fan I carry works great and helps the air conditioned air circulate more efficiently.

You'll find it here:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9203&memberId=12500226

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for lancet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
[B] You will. Even if you have a plain vanilla trip, with nothing exciting whatsoever (unlikely) we regulars here will still want to know every teeny detail.

Roger that. I know it will be interesting and I am sure there will ample "experiences and events" along the way. So, unless a conductor throws me off of the train while over a high bridge, you will undoubtedly hear from me again.

Lancet

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dilly, that little fan is kinda neat. But I think I would consider the one with the little light. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88646&memberId=12500226 Could be handy in an emergency or if HEP (power) goes out at night. Its a little smaller than yours, so it might not move as much air, but it has a handy handle for hanging or carrying.

Personally, I wouldn't duck* tape the window curtains. I don't like it to be too dark because even trains have monsters under the bed, you know. The in-room night lights are a little too bright, so I prefer to turn them off and let the hallway light seep in between the gaps of the curtain's coverage. But that's just me.

*Going OT here with a footnote: It is my understanding that the term "duct tape" is actually incorrect. Soldiers in WWII nicknamed the tape "duck tape" because it was waterproof. Water rolled off of it like off a duck's back, or so the story goes. It wasn't called "duct tape" until much later, but in fact people who work on ducts say they never use it.

------------------
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a personal comment about curtains in sleepers -- when I travel overnight in a sleeper, I leave the curtains wide open. Most of the places the trains pass through overnight are dark anyway, and if I wake up I like to watch the occasional passing farmhouse and small town lights and stars out the window -- the only time I may close the curtains is when we are stopped at a station, since invariably, when I am on a train and we stop, there is ALWAYS a bright station light RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experiences:

Superliner: Standard room racks are too narrow, especially when compared to historic Pullman berths.

Upper berths have insufficient headroom.

Deluxe lower is OK

Deluxe upper is wide enough but has same headroom problem of standard upper.

Bring your own pillow and blanket. Amtrak pillows are tiny.

In winter, Amtrak blankets are thin. Best to sleep under a blanket you bring. (I prefer a cool room to begin with!)

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People here frequently refer to Pullman cars and Pullman berths. Would someone here talk more about them for those of us who never experienced a ride in one?
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancet
Member # 3339

Rate Member
When I was 6 years old, many moons ago, I remember sleeping in the pullman sleepers. If you want a pictoral idea of what they look like, see the movie 'Some like it hot' starring Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. They have a scene in the sleeper car.

I remember them as bunk beds with a curtain. Windows on the bottom beds, beds running fore to aft, and the whole car devoted to two rows of such beds. The curtain was your privacy. There was a wall between each set of beds, but no other walls. The car was only for sleeping, so no conversion to a roomette.

This is how I remember the Pulman sleeper of the 1940s. Maybe they were different in later years.

Lancet

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeper pillows are standard sized, the same as any bed. They obviously are not as big as queen and king-sized pillows, but they are regular sized and are far from "tiny."
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would appear that Mr. Lancet experienced a Lower Berth accomodation as offered by the Pullman Company. Be assured, I've "been there done that" myself.

Now to Ms. Wood's inquiry. I apologize for not only myself but also others who may have thought "huh, everybody knows what a Pullman is".

Well, the Pullman Company ceased operations December 31, 1968 even though it survived as an entity to settle claims until 1975.

To recap: "once upon a time", railroad sleeping cars were operated by separate companies; the principal one being the Pullman Company. This concern not only built the railcars but also operated them.

Well during WWII, somebody, namely competing railcar builders, didn't like that; so during 1944, these builders, wanting to get into the anticipated new age of railcar building "when the war was over", progressed an anti-trust case and prevailed. Pursuant to the judgement, Pullman was confronted with a choice, namely either build cars or operate them - one or the other.

Pullman chose building and rechristened themselves as Pullman-Standard. The Pullman Company became a jointly owned company of all railroads providing sleeping service, and was treated as what we railroad accountants call a "Joint Facility". This new entity commenced operation during 1947, At that time, any railcar builder was free to build sleepers to their own design, rather than seeking (and paying for) licensure from the Pullman (car builder) Company to do so.

From "Day One", I would think the operating company was doomed. During 1955, all railroads operating Parlor Cars withdrew them. During 1958, two major railroads (NYC, RI) defected; this simply meant less roads around to pick up the overhead. As noted, "the party was over" Dec 31, 1968 - I'm surprised it lasted that long. As such, there were never any transactions between The Pullman Company and Amtrak.

Here's more: http://americanhistory.si.edu/archives/d8181.htm

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-09-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
Hey, Dilly, that little fan is kinda neat.

It actually seems more powerful than the model with the light (I tested them at Campmor's store in New Jersey). The slight drawback is that they use multiple "D" cell batteries, which makes both a bit heavy.

That's why I usually buy the batteries (typically Walgreen's or CVS's store brand) on my way to the train station. They'll usually last for 16-20 hours of steady use on the fan's highest speed -- long enough to keep me cool for two nights aboard, say, the Southwest Chief. Then I toss the batteries and buy fresh ones shortly before departing on the next leg of my trip.

More duct tape trivia: roadies for English rock bands call it "gaffer's tape" -- a reference to the lighting technicians (gaffers) on movie sets, who use the tape to fasten electrical cables to the floor.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 07-07-2004).]

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of duck/duct tape you really should check out www.ducttapeguys.com It is full of great stuff. The "guys" go along with the story that it was originally "duck" when made to seal ammunition cases but became "duct" when heating and A/C guys started using it. I've seen plenty of it on ductwork. It's amazing what a retired guy with a computer and a glass of chardonnay can find on the web.

I believe Magellan's (based here in Santa Barbara) Travel Supply sells it in small rolls. I expect you could find similar rolls at a good home improvement center.

That's it from Sunny (in the afternoon) Santa Barbara.

Frank in SBA

[This message has been edited by sbalax (edited 07-08-2004).]

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
More duct tape trivia: roadies for English rock bands call it "gaffer's tape" -- a reference to the lighting technicians (gaffers) on movie sets, who use the tape to fasten electrical cables to the floor.

I've used gaffers tape in my work as an audio/visual technician, and it is not the same thing. It is vastly superior in that it has a matte cloth surface that doesn't reflect light. The gaffers tape I've used also has a better quality adhesive that doesn't leave goo behind when removed. It is also considerably more expensive than duck/duct tape.

Back on topic, the sleeping car pillows are standard sized. Only in coach are they the little "mini-muffins." I remember when Amtrak provided full size pillows in coach.

Mr. Pullman is correct about the upper bunks in Superliners. Not nearly enough headroom. Perhaps he also remembers trains with real rest rooms large enough to pull up you pants without hitting your elbows on anything, toilet paper holders in front of the seat, full sized sinks, and faucets with real handles that didn't splatter everywhere*. Some rest rooms even had a smoking lounge.

*Much as I enjoy train travel, every time I use a Superliner rest room I am reminded of the fellow who called them "Stupidliners."

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought they'd have been better off with one less restroom in the Superliners and give the extra space to the others. When have you ever seen them all "in use."
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should defer to Mr. Pullman, but wonder why a fan was always standard equipment in any Pullman room. i guess to Amtrak, that would just be one more item to "grow legs" like the Viewliner's in-room entertainment.

Lastly to Mr. Frank in Santa Barbara, i can't seem to be able to open the duct tape site. Try it next time with a 2001 Berringer Viognier (****).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try it again. I really is an amusing website. Google duct tape and you'll find it.

I'm just a simple person. Blue Fin Chardonnay is just fine for me. It's only a dollar a bottle more than "Two Buck Chuck" at Trader Joe's.

Frank in drizzly Santa Barbara

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. SBA--

You have a dot after your protocol com. Edit it out and your link should work. (note: if this site published e-mail addresses, I would have handled this privately)

GBN

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done. Thanks for the reminder. The period at the end of a sentence is too ingrained in me I guess.

I never traveled in a true Pullman. Did the fans go when A/C came along. I know many of the heavyweight cars were retro-fitted with A/C. The post about the small fan is one of the most practical I've seen here. I like to keep what I carry to a minimum but that's one I might go for!

Frank in still cloudy SBA

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have travelled in true Pullman (last time was in 1966 on UP's City of Los Angeles). The rooms were air conditioned and equipped with little fans with rubber blades (I guess so you wouldn't injure yourself if you ran into it). Here in Canada Via's Budd-built sleepers (with a/c) still have the little fans, although they were modernized during the HEP conversion and no longer have the rubber blades.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Viewliner standard rooms have two small fans, one right above the other, set into the wall alongside the door. Although I've never looked, I suspect the larger rooms have them as well.

Unfortunately, the fans don't seem to do very much even at high speed, especially when the a/c is less than adequate, and you're camped out in the upper berth on a hot August night.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN described what the Pullman Company was.

I'll describe the various accommodations the Pullman Company offered, as of 1955 or so. In each case, assume a 6" mattress, 33-36 inches wide, and 6"2 to 6'7" long:

Section: This is the basic footprint, and is even the footpring going now into Amtrak Superliner and Viewliner. Sections were 6'2" long, with full width facing settees. Both the upper and the lower berth had about 48" of head clearance when the beds were made down. Sections could be open (enclosed at night by curtains) or enclosed (walls, as in current VL/SL std bedroom). Facilities down the hall.

Roomette: Same footprint as a section, facilities in the room (hopper and washstand), and one seat/berth.

Double bedroom: About 30 sq feet fooprint, two beds, either a sofa or a single seat and a folding chair (folding chair HAD to go down for night use). Again, facilities in the room.

Compartment: About 42 sq feet footprint (same as Amtrak deluxe bedroom). Two beds, sofa and folding chair, but there was enough room for the folding chair to be up at night.

Drawing Room: About 60 sq feet (no Amtrak parallel). Three beds and facilities.

There were a few other accommodations (master room and duplex roomette come to mind), but the ones described above comprise 98% of the inventory.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1982 or 83 I rode a train from Columbia, SC, to Washington, DC, and then changed trains and rode on to Chicago. I no longer remember the names of the trains. I can remember walking through a narrow corridor in a car, and saw tiny little rooms. There were solid walls in between the room, but just a sort of stiff curtain between the room and the corridor. There was a single seat in the room that would have seated two modestly proportioned people. Half the seat lifted up to reveal a toilet. I remember thinking that I never could have used that toilet separated only by a curtain from the general public passing to and fro in the corridor. I was in coach, and we had to walk through this car to get to the dining car. The rooms were absolutely tiny. I talked to a girl of perhaps 18 who was sharing one with her son, about 15 months. This was before the days of cell phones or the internet, of course, and she was terribly upset because the person who'd sold her the ticket had showed her a picture of a much different room. The baby was fussing and having diarrhea and the whole car smelled. I still remember this pathetic creature and wonder what happened to her. If I am recalling correctly, her eventual destination was somewhere in the western U.S. to join her husband at a military base. I ramble! Anyway, is this what was called a roomette? When were these rooms retired? If it were me, I would much rather sit up in coach all night, have some leg room, and facilities that could be used in more privacy.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've never traveled on a sleeper in summer (and don't like summer travel in general), so I cannot comment on the a/c, but Amtrak did provide me with two full-sized pillows when I traveled by sleeper. The only time I got a tiny pillow was the free ones Amtrak gives out in COACH on the overnight trains. I always bring a SECOND small pillow for longer coach travel day or night--not quite as small as the travel pillows but what is called a "children's pillow" that I bought in a department store. I took it on the sleeper too--I like a lot of pillows.

Re the curtains: Just remember to shut them when you use la toilette!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The accomodation you note, Ms. Wood is indeed a roomette. They were withdrawn from service by Amtrak during 1998, and essentially were replaced by the Standard Room.

In addition to the curtain you noted, each room had a secured door. Why the party you noted did not use such, I know not. The curtain was necessary because in order to lower or raise the bed, the occupant had to step into the hall. This provided some modicum of privacy.

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The roomette is still alive and well in Canada. Although very small they at least have a toilet and sink unlike the Superliner standard bedrooms. The downside to gaining access to the toilet at night is that you have to struggle to lift the bed into the wall, which is why I usually take a double bedroom.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjlevine34
Member # 3350

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for sjlevine34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy's post a while ago on this topic had this quote in it:

------------------
I love you.

You DO realize that Antonin Dvorak was a railfan who once sent his servant to the front of a train he was riding to see what locomotive was pulling it.

sjl -- who, as an unabashed railfan, is in the company of some quite distinguished individuals.

Posts: 7 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
If Dvorak was a true railfan, he would have wanted to see it HIMSELF!

BTW, got that little jingle from the late columnist Jack Smith. If I remember the storyu correctly, he said he and his friends used to make up little songs in their youth. I first read it almost 20 years ago and it has stuck with me ever since.

He also had another non-train related verse:
"We were walking in the park
And goosing statues in the dark
If Sherman's horse can take it
Why can't you?"

sjlevine34
Member # 3350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sjlevine34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy

I was probably remembering the details wrong.

In any case, from the Dallas Symphony Orchestra's Kids webside (http://www.dsokids.com/2001/dso.asp?PageID=287):

"After music, Dvorak's strongest interest was trains, and he was often seen at the railway station in Prague observing, studying railway schedules, and visiting with railway engineers."

I think one can say he was a real railfan <g>.

sjl

Posts: 7 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 6'2" and I fit on the lower standard room bed. As others have commented, there are no cross bars to fear. It was a comfortable bed.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page