RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Coach with a Broken Window

Author Topic: A Coach with a Broken Window
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does the crew do when a Coache's window is broken during a long-distance trip?, one time I was talking with a Passnger and he said that one time while ridding the Train, a base-ball smashed threw one window and then out a nother, dont know how a single ball could break threw 4 window panes, but he never got the chance to tell me what the crew did because his stop came up, does any one know the answer I'm looking for?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A passenger railcar's windows are made of two panes. While the outter pane is usually made of glass, the inner pane is made of a plastic marketed by one vendor under the name of Lexan. It is virtually unbreakable.

While the outter glass panel could well have been broken by a projectile such as a baseball, I highly doubt if same happened to the inner made of Lexan.

Here you go: http://www.gelexan.com/gelexan/

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-14-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the most ive seen was using the all handy duct tape
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
...one time I was talking with a Passnger and he said that one time while ridding the Train, a base-ball smashed threw one window and then out a nother, dont know how a single ball could break threw 4 window panes,...

You are right to be skeptical. I think your fellow traveler was pulling your leg. I think it highly unlikely that a baseball could do what was described. The glass is designed to be bulletproof. I'm sure it is baseball proof. Even if it somehow managed to penetrate bulet proof glazing, the chances of it getting through the opposite side is highly unbelievable, especially if the train was moving.

One time I was driving on a freeway in San Francisco. A truck ahead kicked up a rock that hit my windshield right in front of my face. It cracked the windshield slightly, but the rock bounced off harmlessly. That was with single pane safety glass. I estimate the combined speed of the rock and my windshield were in excess of 100MPH.

Now consider the liklihood of a random baseball exceeding that speed sufficiently to penetrate bullet proof glass, and I think you'll find your answer.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are few baseball players who can throw up wards of 90.

Im sure they arent wasting their time throwing balls at train windows.

Besides they'd have to be very close to the train considering the amount of speed that the ball would lose as it floats through the air.

Chances of this story being true: 1%

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was lying before, and I know he was now, but this wasnt the answer I was looking for, I wanted to know what the crew would do if there was a Broken window- thanks Chubbes, will duck tape realy do it

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad put a trash bag over it and duct taped it shut. It broke by a piece of coal from a hopper flew up and smashed it, luckely no1 was sittin in those seats.

Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page