RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » WW2 effecting the surfline??

Author Topic: WW2 effecting the surfline??
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did WW2 effect the running of Civilian San Diegans along the coastline or of any train wht so ever on the surfline. At one point believe we had a lights out after a certain time and the trains ran right along the coast so did they do anything about it???
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I'm guessing the passenger cars probably had blackout shades on the windows. Don't know what they did about the locomotive headlamp, though.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i heard from another forum that they put a special headlight shroud over the E1s headlamps. Anyone have a pic of this?
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, Mr. Chubbes, this is one interesting question you have raised.

I know that the skylights not only at New York's "Old Penn" but also at Chicago Union Station were painted over; come now, did the Germans have A BOMBER with that kind of range (a piece on History Channel suggestes they were developing one along with nukes and ICBM's)?

No question whatever, Japanese submarines could have made it to the West Coast, and could well have landed sabeturs such as the Germans DID on the East. Lighted rail passenger cars could easily make the landing of "bad boys" easier.

I will fish out some TRAINS from that era and see if I "stumble" on to any pertinent info. If I do, I will share same here at the Forum.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-17-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
This is putting my 2 most favorite and knowladgable subjects 2gether

[This message has been edited by chubbes (edited 07-17-2004).]

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Balboa, CA during WWII and remember that the streetlights were all blacked out on the ocean side. My mother also made blackout curtains for the house and I remember riding with my aunt at night using only the running/parking lights on her car.

The Japanese did indeed have submarines that made it to the west coast. They were able to lob a couple of shells at the Elwood Oil Field just north of Goleta. They did little real damage but it was a psychological scare. Some of the wood from the old Elwood Pier that has shell damage is in The Timbers Restaurant building at Winchester Canyon Road just off of 101.

The SP (Now UP) line runs very close to this spot.

There is, by the way, still an SP sign on the overcross at Hollister Avenue in Santa Barbara. it's pretty weathered and has had some graffitti damage but it survives!

On another note, I drove through Gaviota yesterday and saw firsthand the devastation that the fire caused. You'll remember that this closed down both north and south bound Amtrak and UP traffic for several days.

Frank in Sunny, 80 degree SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
but did u remember any thing different on the Headlamps of the trains

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page