RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tell John Kerry what you think

Author Topic: Tell John Kerry what you think
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this page http://www.johnkerry.com/onlinehq/mediacorps/yourstory.php there is an opportunity for you to tell John Kerry what you think. This is a great opprotunity for rail advocates to bring our concerns to the attention of a presidential candidate.

------------------
Sing to the tune of Humoresque:
Passengers will please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is standing in the station,
I love you.

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that President Bush has been quite fair if not good to Amtrak. Back in 2002 he could have pulled the plug on Amtrak when it basically went broke but he refused to let amtrak disolve; and hammered out a deal. I know Mr. Bush on paper should be agaisnt big government but I think he has treated Amtrak pretty darn well. However, concerning John Kerry- I highly doubt that any of our pleas for Amtrak will be part of his campaign; nor do I really think that how a President will or has treated Amtrak be a major factor in how I vote - i love amtrak but there is a lot more to the president's job than amtrak.
Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, first of all, I doubt that the President personally cares at all about Amtrak or any rail service. Rather, it is Mr. Norman Mineta and his underlings at the DOT that dictate White House Amtrak policy. And the DOT has proposed only $900 million for Amtrak every year, which Mr. Gunn says is a shut down number, so I would disagree that the White House has treated Amtrak well. On the other hand, I really don't know how much better Amtrak would fare under Kerry, so who knows?

You are quite correct, though, in saying that there's a lot more to a president's job than Amtrak - and Amtrak policy will certainly not make or break a campaign.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. It seems that whenever there is an opportunity to tell public officials what they think, people make excuses not to. I just don't get it.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me either, Mr Toy.

I've written President Bush and Mineta several times and always get a response, even if I don't like that response. (It gives me an excuse to write them again)

As far as writing Kerry, why? He has zero chance of winning and he wouldn't care about what any of the riff-raff thought about anything. He is your basic ultra-rich New England snob.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John sKerry knows what we think - and - he will promise anything to get elected.

All this Amtrak, etc is not as important as who do you feel will protect us from terrorist attacks and our way of life.

There are millions of people on this planet who beleive it is part of their religion to wipe out anyone who does not believe in their Allah,nimby to those people.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

I appreciate your posting and have shared my feelings with the next President of the United States.

Amtrak is vital to the security of this country. It is also an important part of our transportation system, it uses a fraction of the fuel of an airplane and it adds immeasurably to the quality of our lives.

Furthermore, at only about $1 billion a year, Amtrak is a model of fiscal responsibility. Most cities cannot run their tiny transportation systems for the kind of money Amtrak spends to run its 30,000 mile network.

If it were not for 9/11, the Republicans would have killed off Amtrak long ago.

Put simply, this country (and Amtrak) cannot survive another four years of George W. Bush.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

>Amtrak is vital to the security of this country.

I do not understand. Please explain.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it is certainly no excuse for apathy, I still believe that Amtrak will NEVER get a fair shake simply because rail interests cannot compete with the powerful airline and highway lobbies in Washington. I believe it somewhat naive to think that members of congress are not strong-armed and/or stroked by these behemoth lobbies.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kairho,

After terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center and all the planes were grounded, Amtrak trains were running on schedule.

People stranded in airports had a way to get home, assuming they lived in an area still served by a passenger rail service devastated by years of political neglect.

The expression "National Security" covers a lot of ground these days. One possible meaning is that the government will find its citizens a way home after their planes have been disabled.

Another possible meaning for the word "National Security" is that passenger trains can transport troops to a particular destination in times of war.

However you define National Security, the fact remains that once our national railroads are dead and buried, it would be almost impossible to revive them at a moment's notice.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scavoman
Member # 1629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scavoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see know...
It costs approx. 3X the price of an airline ticket to travel by rail.
It takes approx. 3X as long to travel that distance.
And delays are measured in Hours, not minutes.
There's Govt. subsidy at work.
If there was a way for Kerry to champion Amtrak as the carrier of the "Working People", perhaps he'd care, but I don't think there are any station stops near his 5 mansions...

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scavoman, it could be worse. You could be stuck in a Greyhound bus with airline-sized seating for 30 hours.

There are handicapped people that cannot fly, so their mass transit alternatives are bus or rail. If I flew regularly, I might "pop" an eardrum. I came close the last time I flew. It took 8 hours for my inner ear to re-equalize to ground level.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
scavoman,

Aside from a recent pricing glitch that has been rectified, the cost of a ticket on Amtrak comes to a fraction of the price of an airline ticket.

Albuquerque to LAX, with a few weeks planning comes to $95 roundtrip, for example. Most of the time my travels cost me next to nothing because of rail sales and credit card perks, and I do travel quite a lot.

As far as time is concerned, I'm in no rush and I don't see why you're in a rush either. I make about $18K a year and I would think that anybody who makes more than that should be able to spent a little of his time enjoying a nice train ride through pristine country side.

On the other hand, some people just don't seem to know how to enjoy life these days, I suppose. All they do is complain.

Complain. Complain. Complain: Kind of sad, really.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a business trip to Houston coming up. US Air wants to charge me $202 round trip. How much would Amtrak charge, and how long would it take?

My question is rhetorical. There is no price at which I would take Amtrak from PHL to HOU when I can fly it in less than three hours.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
rresor,

If you left in January, your roundtrip train fare would be $274.50 and it would only take you two days to get to your destination.

Rhetorically yours,

Mr. Chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 07-20-2004).]

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Chucky, do I understand that:

-for just $274.50 (in January);
-travelling just 4 days roundtrip;
-"schlepping" your way in coach;
-on predictably punctual Amtrak;
-one can go from PHL to Houston & back?

You have clearly shown rresor has overlooked a viable option to taking to the air on this business trip. And only for $72.50 more.

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 07-20-2004).]

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member

zephyr,

So what's your point? What have you or anybody else said that we haven't heard countless times before?

Just lay it on the line, baby... Do you want to abolish Amtrak? You conservatives are getting a great deal here, I don't know why you're making such a fuss: You get to go all over the country on a train (if you want) and it only costs every taxpayer $5 a year, or about $1 billion dollars collectively. No civilized country on earth can run a national railroad for less money than we are doing.

Or are you saying you want some sort of bullet train that will cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars? Or better yet, maybe you want a maglev train that will cost trillions?

I don't give a damn if it takes two days to get somewhere. It's worth it to me because my eardrums would perforate if I took an airplane and believe me, you would not want me on that airplane when that happened.

People like myself need trains to get around.

$5 is not a lot of money to ask a taxpayer in order to guarantee them the opportunity of taking a long-haul train ride.

If you are so cheap that you cannot afford $5 a year then I would love to withhold the taxes I pay for your beloved pork barrel projects that cost far more, like going to Mars or fighting for oil in Iraq.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Actually, all it would take to fully fund Amtrak is 1 cent from clinton's 4.3 cent gas tax increase from 1993. Unfortunately, all the 4.3 cent a gallon gas tax went into the general fund, instead of transportation.
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears Mr. Chucky needs to take a timeout and go to his happy place.

But to your question of "what's my point?" Well, it had nothing to do with politics, abolishing Amtrak, pork barrel projects, or going to Mars. Rresor gave an example of a business trip where he wouldn't consider taking Amtrak as an option. You responded. My subsequent post was to show how your response seemed to reaffirm rresor's original point. Based on the information presented for this particular business trip, I believe few would opt for the 4 day trip in coach. Regardless of the ticket price.

Last year I boarded Amtrak 18 times. Some trips were for pleasure, some for business. I often take corridor trains, but rarely take LD trains, for business. Costs, time, convenience,schedules and OT performance usually get me heading to the airport for long distance business travel.

For pleasure and discretionary travelling, most trips are by Amtrak. If I have the time to lollygag from Point A to Point B, I usually go by train. And I lollygag a lot, and enjoy it.

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 07-20-2004).]

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cross country, we first had wagons then Trains-not even airlines are perfect - have you seen that show 'Airline' plus not everyone can or want to travel by air.

So, all the airlines are grounded and the troops have to get somewhere, duh, how are they gonna' get there?,da *** ?

Get real, sKerry (the Senator who brought you the Big Dig and his fellow senator-the pride of Chappa.) doesn't give 2 hoots about the choo-choo - only if he can promise something to the RR union - and- then not deliver !

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have 3 * in my reply - all I said was da *** (meaning Greyhound) which is a *** !
zephyr
Member # 1651

Congratulations, maryann--

You have discovered one of the idiosyncrasies of this forum.

D-O-G has been deemed by the management to be a bad word. You must refrain from using this word if you want any hope of graduating from your "junior status."

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like Greyhound is intent on getting out of the inter-city business. They just discontinued service to 50 cities in Minnesota alone. If you can't afford the $400 for a 200 mile plane ride, just ask a rich guy who got a $100,000 tax break for a ride. Isn't that how trickle-down economics is supposed to work?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a game in KC on the 26th of this month and I live in STL.

American Airlines wants $400 roundtrip and its not even non stop, so I have to fly to Chicago.

or

Amtrak wants $50 round trip.

The game is at 7pm, and I could leave at 8am and be there at 1pm, or I could waste $350 and save an hour by taking the plane.

Decisions Decisions

Amtrak does help some people.

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 07-21-2004).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The above message was true in its entirety.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no need to get bogged down by partisan bickering. Nobody is likely to influence anyone else's vote here, so let me clarify the purpose of my original post:

Kerry supporters have an opportunity to tell the candidate what they think about Amtrak. I was just trying to make that known to other folks here who support both Kerry and Amtrak. Bush supporters, who I respect but disagree with, may contact the President as they see fit.

The end.

espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember:Amtrak'deepest cuts have been under Democrat administrations.The largest being the infamous "Carter Cuts" in 1979.Then we lost the Pioneer and Desert Wind under Bill Clinton.Think about it!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 07-21-2004).]

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 07-21-2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member

Just because Carter was an *** doesn't mean that Kerry will be one, as well.

Amtrak tends to be a fairly bi-partisan issue these days. I spoke to Democrat Bill Richardson recently and he assured me that he supported Amtrak and The Southwest Chief "because it runs through my district."

Some Republicans have been very kind to our national railroad. One supposes that Amtrak owes its very life to Richard Nixon, since it was during his administration that it was created.

One contemporary Republican who has been a very strong proponent of Amtrak is Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison who has proposed increasing its budget enormously.

HOWEVER, George W. Bush appears to be no friend of Amtrak. The record, as well as his 2005 budget proposal for the railroad, clearly indicates that he could care less what happens to it. It is totally inappropriate for any member of this board to even suggest that George W. Bush has stuck his neck out to preserve Amtrak.

Kerry, on the other hand, has come out very strongly on behalf of Amtrak. These are his words. Please read them carefully:

"I strongly support and will increase federal funding for Amtrak. I have been a vocal opponent of George Bush's proposal to gut the federal commitment to Amtrak [and] force cash-strapped state governments to pick up half of its operating cost.

"The nation faces a choice regarding rail service. We can choose to reform Amtrak and give it the resources to build a forward-looking national rail system, or we can choose to deny countless communities train service."

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:

Just because Carter was an *** doesn't mean that Kerry will be one, as well.

I hope that word was d-o-g

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush's record on Amtrak funding sucks! Let's hope the Democrats care enough to save and expand Amtrak through funding at the $1.6 billion level. President Clinton, as much as I love him, hated Amtrak. Maybe he doesn't deserve my love. Tell Kerry he'd better love Amtrak and advise congress to fund it correctly for the future.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just may tell John Kerry what I think, but it won't have anything to do with trains.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must wonder if there were to be a "mock" Presidential Election in which the "voters' were registered Members of this site prior to the date the "election" was announced, who would win and by what plurality?
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Maybe Clinton hated trains so much because the noise of the train going by his house woke him up every night.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page