RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » City of New Orleans

Author Topic: City of New Orleans
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning a trip from New Orleans to Chicago in September in a standard sleeper. Does anyone know if the City still runs with: A) one engine B) one sleeper C) no transition sleeper D) usually sleeper up front or on the end. And if C is true, will this mean that the sleeper could be right behind the baggage car? Also, how is the Magnolia Room in New Orleans? I hope the lockers are still available in Chicago as we will be leaving on coach and won't have access to the first class lounge. Do you think that if we came in on a sleeper, they would hold our bags until our departure that night on coach? Or would we have to be leaving in a sleeper also? It has been several years since I have ridden the City. Thanks!!!

[This message has been edited by Genesis803 (edited 07-18-2004).]

Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based upon my experience last Feb, the City #58 has its Sleeper on the rear. however, they sell revenue space in the T-Dorm, and unfortunately, all you will have between you and the single engine (CN/IC will permit up to ten cars with one P-42) would be the Baggage car.

The Magnolia Room was recently redecorated. From what I learned, it was kind of done by "local initiative'; but 'nuff said on that at a public Forum at which I think there are readers @ 60 Mass.

While possibly some have noted around here that I'm not exactly brimming with lust for "the New Orleans experience", my negative impressions of that dump of a town hardly include Station personnel and on-board service crews based there. They really are an accomodating group of folks. If you have a reasonable request, it's "can-do".

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-18-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last May the train wasn't being turned at NOL, so the baggage car and sleepers were always at the northern end. Arrival into New Orleans was always head first. This differs from my previous experiences where we backed in. I don't know whether this is still the case. The northbound coach passengers had a great view out the rear window! I saw this on 5 trains over 3 days in and around NOL.

From photos I took the consist was as follows (southbound):
Engine (1)
Coaches (4)
Lounge car
Diner
Sleeping car
Baggage

Northbound:
Engine (1)
Coach (1 deadhead)
Baggage
Sleeper
Diner
Lounge
Coach (3)

The lockers were still there, but the lounges usually allow arriving sleeper passengers to use the facilities.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just rode the City in late June.
P42
Bagagge
T Dorm/Sleeper (revenue space sold)
Diner
Lounge
3 Coaches
Sleeper

Nice hike to the diner from our rear sleeper. Same setup on Texas Eagle as the two trains generally swap equipment at CHI. I did learn that if the Eagle is real late, equipment can be taken from the Empire Builder or CZ for the City.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the time on the Eagle(at least the past 10 times ive seen it) the sleeper is behind the Dorm and in front of diner.

All three are the first cars in the consist behind the baggage.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction to my post: it was in late August, not May. Something to do with the turning of the Eagle into the City apparently.

I've got some photos of these consists if anybody wants any. Email me at geoff -dot- mayo -at- freeuk.com

SilverStar, which way were you going?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Eagle is running two sleepers, It picks up one from the Sunset Limited and it goes on the end, so you have 1 right behind the transition car and one at the very end.

On Sep 3, I'm booked in the transition car, bound for Joliet, IL.

Has anyone ridden in the transition car? What's it like?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I've ridden the City of N.O., they have backed in (most recent being summer 2002), but maybe that has changed now. The Magnolia Room is OK, but my experience has been that the attendants are rarely there, and there is 0 place to store luggage (last time I used it, the attendant took my lugagge into an office in the back and stashed it behind a desk) -- but there are pay lockers at New Orleans Union Station. The Magnolia Room is OK, but it AIN'T NO Club Acela Lounge........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtk507
Member # 3083

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtk507     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the Eagle a couple of months ago in the dorm car. Room is no different than a regular S II standard, there are 8 revenue rooms all at the "high" (rear) end of the car. Rooms did seem to have a little less "mileage" on them. Refreshements (juice, water, ice) were in room 15 by the door as there is no regular refreshment station. One restroom (with shower I believe) across from that, another with shower at mid car on the upper level marked "crew only" but could be used by passengers. Now the down side - crew lounge is downstairs, and conversation and radio chatter was pretty loud at times. Could have turned my scanner off and still heard everything! Crew seems to resent passengers in "their" car and they did not bother to hold down the noise at all. OK for a railfan, up to point I suppose, but it got old after midnight. Attendant had to split his/her time between us and coach. I did not think it any noisier being just behind the baggage car.

Ditto on the remarks about the Magnolia Room. Nothing special, although mildly better than in the past. They finally took the foil off the rabbit ears on the TV! Seating is limited, no attendant, water and coffee only, but still much better than the main waiting room.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ride on the Texas Eagle was just 10 days ago and there was only one regular sleeper and it was on the rear. It was the thru car for LA. We were side by side with the northbound Eagle at Ft.Worth (non-LA trip) and its one sleeper was on the rear. The Eagle leaving San Antonio 2 days later had its sleeper from LA on the rear. None of these trains had a second regular sleepr. That went away months ago. I have heard lots of crews resent revenue passengers in THEIR dorm cars. Tough! The transition cars were originally intended for mixed use and the first few said "Transition Sleeper" on the side. Later ones said "Transition Dorm".
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

By the way, don't forget to look out for the lady who waves at the train virtually every day! I think she lives between Hammond, LA and McComb, MS on the eastern side of the tracks.

She used to have a *** that raced the train until its later years when it couldn't, but has since unfortunately died.

What is more impressive is that she apparently married one of the engineers of the City! All this was in an issue of Trains magazine, but I have since seen her duly waving to the train as we went past!

Geoff M.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

*** being a D-O-G.
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got in my tickets!!! Room 7 in the 5800 car. How is this room as far as ride quality? Since we are in the 5800 car, that means that our car will be either the first or the last, correct? Thanks for all the responses!!
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the best Mr. 803. I would not be above in checking if any better ones open up.

I prefer to be down below in 11-14; can't beat the access to shower and potties; also smoother ride.

Sleeper 5800 is usually the last car in the consist. That is the best location for boarding at NOUPT and best for alighting at CUS. You need not be concerned learning where every grade X-ing en route is located.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the policy has changed, I have used the first class lounge in Chicago when arriving in sleeper but leaving by coach. (For storing luggage and a free soda if nothing else.) Doesn't hurt to check since the locker situation, always hit and miss in Chicago before, may not be an option anymore.

As for on-board crews; I had the best steak I have ever eaten on an Amtrak train aboard the City of New Orleans in July 2002. I told my table companions this and when, a short time later, a HUGE man in a white suit hoisted himself up from the kitchen one of my companions yelled "Did you cook this steak?".

Answer affirmative from a large man about to be defensive.

The companion then points at me and says "Well this guy says it's the best steak he has ever eaten on an Amtrak train."

The chef breaks into a million dollar grin and says "I'm from New Orleans. What did you expect?"

The City of New Orleans remains a consistently decent operation. You don't hear much about it.....but you generally don't hear the horror stories either.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 07-28-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the City of NOL Yahoo rail group. Those guys seem very knowledgable about this great train.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cityofneworleanstrain/

------------------

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Allow me to add to the favorable comments by Messrs. Ohlemeier and Presley regarding the quality of the on-board crews Amtrak has based in New Orleans.

I'll long remember Sleeper Attendant "Miss Stephanie" (likely she will be on maternity leave but surely other crew will know of her).

Also Chef Eddie Frick, he is a carbon copy of Paul Proudhomme. On my trip when I met him last August, the car was out of Veal Chops and I ordered a steak in its place. Of course it was cooked exactly as I ordered it, and the steak sauce, was "his".

When i met Mr. Frick on the platform at Memphis where I was detraining. I thanked him for his great steak. He apologized for being "out" of Veal Chops but as I walked off to get a taxicab (I had a 7AM breakfast appointment at a hotel near the airport, #59 was OT, but best get moving) Mr. Frick says, "now you come on back, I want you to enjoy MY sauce that I serve with the Veal Chop"''.

What an invitation!!!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page