RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 3 in a deluxe sleeper?

Author Topic: 3 in a deluxe sleeper?
rails48
Member # 3374

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for rails48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used 800-USARAIL to buy a train 5 deluxe sleeper for wife, 12-year old son, and myself. The phone agent said that the lower bed would be chummy for my wife and I, but didn't seem to have a problem putting the trip together.

When I picked up my tickets at the station, the station agent warned me that sleepers were for two only. She said that the trip had not been properly ticketed and that one of us would have to pay for meals.

Which agent is right? We travel on July 30.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two daughters, ages 4 and 9, and I travelled in June between Chicago and D.C. in one deluxe sleeper. We were not charged for any meals in the dining car. We each had our own tickets. I don't remember the kids' fares, but the cost of taking them along was very reasonable. It was "chummy," and it will be worse with a big 12 year old, but do-able for one night. We did a 2-night trip last year in a family bedroom, and it has more space, but the windows are not as nice and the facilities are shared with others on the lower level.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best advice; when being seated in the Diner, and the employee-in-charge (EIC) asks "Sleeper?" Tell the truth and say "yes". Properly identify your space and sign the check. If you must pay for one meal, so be it - pay up!!

Just don't adverties that you have three persons in one room; I think you will "skate".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This appears to be new policy; my former bride and I did this twice ... in 1997 and 1999.

Son was 8 and almost 10; had no problem with the upper.

We had no problem with the lower.

Dining car steward had no problem with the three of us having our meal.

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1993, The 4 of us: Dad, Mom, Brother(9), and me(5), went in a deluxe sleeper from Los Angeles to Chicago on the Desert Wind.

Oh how I want to do that again.

Space was fine.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMMMM

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 07-22-2004).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pursue this question with Amtrak thoroughly - don't take just one agent's word for it. Unless policy has recently changed, deluxe sleeper accomodations were for 2 OR 3 passengers (even all adults) and included up to 3 persons meals.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two meals to a standard; three to a deluxe. Surprisingly, I had a reservation agent tell me that there were only three meals included for a family bedroom when I booked one for August. (I gently reminded the agent that I was booking the Auto Train; meals are included for all passengers, coach and sleeper. So I doubt that she had accurate information.) In the dining car in April, I had the "whole gang" with me and the dining car steward told us (rather gruffly) "Two meals to a sleeper." When he asked me for what room I was in, I told him my room letter (deluxes are lettered, standards are numbered) and he then quietly said "OK... you get three meals." So I guess dining car staff has been told to enforce a quota of meals per room.
BUT - Three rooms per deluxe. Should be no argument.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I had a reservation agent tell me that there were only three meals included for a family bedroom

I rode last year from La Crosse to Seattle in a family bedroom with my 2 kids AND my elderly mother and we weren't charged for any meals.

Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I would expect! Thank you for letting me know!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife, 15 year old son, and I just spent 7 nights in deluxe bedrooms (at one stretch 3 nights in a row). No questioning about meals for 3 people by anyone. The lower bed can sleep 2 though it is crowded. The best way is to get an extra sheet and blanket and lie in opposite directions, i.e, sleep with one person's feet near the window, the other person's feet near the door end of the bed. It was better than the family bedroom as we had our own bathroom and shower, larger window, better a/c, and were upstairs.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page