RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train Parts

Author Topic: Train Parts
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to walk the Track with my cosin and collect parts and, maybe, I might start selling them, you'd be suprized about what falls of Trains, not to metion the fun stuff ya' find that is pretty cool, besides Train parts ( Brakes, Tail lights,spikes,ect.) but its fun to take a metal pole or stick ( I find 1 every time) and toss a paint can in the air and hit it with the stick and watch it shoot off spraying paint from a small hole made by the pole, or if you find a bottle, practice breaking the bottom only like in bar fights, its alot harder that you think, the first few trys the whole bottle brakes, any way, I have lots of parts, think I should sell them?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you would be better off taking the paint cans and bottles to a recycling plant. Better for the environment and possibly saving somebody from getting paint sprayed in their eyes or being cut by broken glass.
Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest you rethink this type of activity. Besides the obvious problems you may encounter walking along someone else' private property and collecting property that is not yours to collect without permission, there is the very real consideration of your health, safety and security being at risk. Check out the railroad web sites or Operation Lifesaver and you might be enlightened about this dangerous activity. It might be best to just watch trains from a safe, public, distance and enjoy their passing. Even that, these days after 9/11, has enough risks and misunderstandings to keep even the innocent busy.
Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also run into some thugs or other sleazy types that hang out in some sections. Watch where you walk!
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well when i do travel the tracks i carry a knife and people say that they should watch out around the tracks but we all are foamers and if we are by the tracks i think any of us are being watchful i mean come on something that is that big and makes that much noise, and light, and has an obviouse path i dont think can just jump from behind a bush.
Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously you are not very enlightened in this world then. Trains can and do creep up on people. Otherwise there'd be far fewer fatalities per year of people walking the tracks. Trains are often coming faster than people realise, it's all to do with the perspective. Again, if people judged it correctly, there'd be far fewer grade crossing accidents.

Think also from an engineer's point of view. He has a long heavy train which he cannot stop and some idjit is walking with his back to the train, head into the wind (so he cannot hear it approaching behind). When he does eventually stop all that is left of you is dozens of pieces. He has to live with that memory for a lifetime.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, the best spot to train watch is from a bridge going over a main line. You can't get hit by a train if you are above it and behind a railing.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I check behind me all the time, and have recently found a new, Unused, Airhose, still had the Caps on it, wasnt evan dirty, and I sold it for 200$

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
I check behind me all the time, and have recently found a new, Unused, Airhose, still had the Caps on it, wasnt evan dirty, and I sold it for 200$

May I ask to whom?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since you have sold some stolen property
do you think you could afford some spelling lessons?
or maybe it's just another tall tale?

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to report, but railfan fatalities do occur.

During 2001, there was just such a fatality occurring near Gurnee, IL on the MILW/CP. A Southbound Amtrak Hiawatha 'took out" a railfan looking Southward. Apparently, setting up for an intended Northbound photo shoot was of greater concern than "watching the backside'.

The Good Lord did not give us I-MAX vision; only Cinemascope.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 08-04-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page