RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Emeryville - Chicago - New Orleans

Author Topic: Emeryville - Chicago - New Orleans
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my birthday in a few weeks I'll be flying from New Orleans to San Francisco, spending one night there with my friend, then returning home the next day on the California Zephyr and the City of New Orleans. I'll be "coaching" it from Emeryville to Chicago. CHI-NOL will be in a Standard Bedroom.

I'm not really worried about the two nights in coach. Last Summer I did NOL-SAS-NOL in the space of two days (just went there and came right back after a 3 hour layover) in coach and I had no problem at all. I'll just make sure to bring a couple of small pillows, a blanket, and i'll be all set. Any other suggestions for making the most out of a two-night journey in coach?

Regarding the Zephyr: what's the best side to sit on going Eastbound from Emeryville...scenery wise?

Should the Zephyr run late enough so that i'd miss my connection to #59, would they make me de-train early and send me on a bus to cacth up to #59?

Thanks in advance for the comments and suggestions, and happy railroading to all!

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding seating on the CZ, either side will do.

You can, of course, get up and view scenery on the other side of the train in unoccupied seats, as I do.

A good part of Donner Pass and Truckee River in Calif. will be on the south side (right side of EB train), though good scenery will be on the north side as well (Donner Lake).

The train follows the Truckee River primarily on the north side of the tracks, especially from east of Reno west to Truckee.

In Nevada, either side will do, though the train parallels a long lake between Sparks and Winnemuca on the north/ west side of the tracks.

In Utah, both sides are good through Price Canyon and Castle Gate, at Helper. Right side might be better.

RH would be good through Ruby Canyon, on the Colorado border approaching Grand Jct. The river is on the south side of the tracks.

That side will be good until Glenwood Springs area, when the Colorado River runs on the north side of the tracks.

The river starts switching back and forth a half hour to an hour east of Glenwood Springs.

Through Gore Canyon and Byers Canyon, the river is on the south side of the tracks. So RH would be best EB.

To see more views of this picturesque route, visit the Amtrak Photos web page...
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/

I took this route a couple of weeks ago. It's my favorite, along with the Southwest Chief and Sunset Lt.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MOKSRail (edited 08-02-2004).]

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, right side is better *most* of the way. However, make sure you're in the lounge car after going through the Moffat Tunnel and seated on the left hand side. This is where you'll get the views of Boulder and Denver as you descend the mountainside. Both times I have been down it in daylight (the 3rd was at night) people have actually gasped at the view at one certain point (either Crescent or Plainview, not sure which).

That time we descended at night we arrived 6 hours late into Chicago. I missed the connection to the City and had the choice of (a) catching Greyhound from Chicago; (b) staying in the Amhotel overnight and catching the following day's City. I, of course, elected the latter!

You've picked quite possibly 2 of the best trains on Amtrak! Well, at least in my opinion.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Native, two things I've found most valuable for coach travel are a sleeping mask and Tylenol PM. I'm usually too excited to sleep and I'm real sensitive to light when trying to sleep. $.02
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page