RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Crescent

Author Topic: The Crescent
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be on The Crescent 09/19/04 WAS/NOL in Standard Bedrooms 8 and 5 Car 1910. Where in the consist will this be? We are due out of Washington at 7:10PM. Will we be able to get dinner in the diner? Where is the Club Acela located at Union Station? We'd like to leave our bags there for a couple of hours while we do some sightseeing before departure. Is this possible?

Best,

Frank in Sunny SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can offer "some" assistance here.

1) The Crescent is normally comprised of 2 locos, one baggage car, one crew dorm, two Viewliner sleepers, one Diner, one Lounge, and Four Amfleet 2 coaches. Therefore, you will only be one (at the most two) cars away from the Diner.

2) Yes, you will be able to enjoy dinner when the train departs WAS.

As for the other questions, perhaps someone else knows the answer to those.

Enjot your trip on #19!

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. We got two Standard bedrooms because it ended up costing less and we've felt cramped in the upper on the Superliners. This will be our first Viewliner trip.
Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard for me to give you directions to Club Acela, but Washington DC does indeed have it - and they can hold your bags there. Just go to the main ticket counter or customer service and ask them to point you in the right direction. The club is close to where the track gates are.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Club Acela at WAS is located just to the left of the AMTRAK ticket counters, I believe -- it is fairly well marked.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Club Acela at WAS is located just to the left of the AMTRAK ticket counters, I believe -- it is fairly well marked"

Not from what I recall.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Club Acela is located next to gate F in Washington Union Station. It is diagonally behind the Amtrak information booth that is at that gate area. One must enter Union Station and go past the Amtrack ticket counters, toward the gates.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not ridden southbound on the Crescent, but when I have seen it pass through Manassas, VA it is generally "close" to its scheduled time (in contrast with certain other western routes). There is a small yard at Manassas but I rarely see freights on the line; I think they use the Shenandoah (ex-N&W) line further west.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you'll find out when you ride, the ceilings are much higher on the Viewliners than on Superliners, so the upper berth is much roomier. In fact, since you've got two standards, I'd suggest sleeping in the upper berth. It's more comfortable and wider than the lower, and has a window.

I've not traveled in a Viewliner deluxe room, but the same is true of it. Lots of space above the upper, and a window too.

My wife found the upper in a Superliner deluxe to be oppressively claustrophobic, so I understand your feelings, but you'll like the Viewliner. I hope everything (especially the A/C) works! Have a good trip!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, thanks for all of the info. This will be our first Viewliner trip. The two standards worked out to be less than one deluxe. I'm assuming that since there is a toilet there is also a sink in the standard? Shower at the end of the car?

I have a trip on #14, the Coast Starlight, scheduled for the 26th of this month. Just me so I got a standard. #10. I know that's closest to the end of the car and the door but they said that was the only one available when I called after booking online.

The only fault I've found with the online system is not being able to pick the accomodation you want. I was told this time that certain rooms are assigned to certain fare levels. True?

Frank in "Socked In" SBA. ˇViva la Fiesta!

traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ridden only superliners where there is no differentiation of cost depending on location of the room (compartment). I've made all my reservations on-line and have followed with a call to Amtrak to arrange the location of the compartment. They have always been willing to move me if a better location is available (ie. not above the trucks) at no additional cost. Additionally, they've been obliging if I wanted to change compartments in favor of a better view. I've always found the 800 number accomodating. Brad Kansas
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you have car 1910, you should be right next to the diner. Usually Amtrak puts the "10" car beside the diner on most trains. I agree with earlier posts that you will like the roominess of the upper berth in the Viewliner. If two people are traveling together and you have a lot of large luggage, you should check some as there is not much luggage storage space in the room and none down the hall. One suitcase and a totebag will fit in the shelf in the room. Also beware that the toilet has no privacy if two people travel together. Otherwise, it is a nice type room and the upper window is a big plus. The shower IS down the hall.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The response I got when I called the 800 number was "You should stay with the rooms you have. The others are all more expensive." On another trip I got an agent who was willing to "capture" another room and cancel the original. I guess it all comes down to the experience and willingness to accomodate the pax.

I'll also be on #14 on 08/26 SBA/EUG in Room 10/Car 1431. I know that it's the "end" unit in the middle sleeper. This train has been running about 2 hours late into Eugene but that's not a big deal to this retired teacher.

Best,

Frank in dark SBA.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page