RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Kerry Edwards Campaign Train!

Author Topic: Kerry Edwards Campaign Train!
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check it out!
Link found on TrainWeb..
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=kerry+train

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda mad that I never heard about Kerry taking the train from St. Louis.

I would have liked to of seen that as it was at Union Station.

Hopefully he saw the Amshack and thought "Oh My God"

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 08-08-2004).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot find any info on the train itself. Amreak operated? An ad hoc train? Route or schedule?

Also, has he used it as a platform to say anything about Amtrak funding, national transportation plan, or anything remotely connected to his mode of transportation?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a story on TV a few days ago about Kerry's train. The train companmy (I forget the name) said the presidential candidates they've carried never lost an election! They carried Bush last time.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll probably take all forms of transportation- yacht, limo., family jet.

Probably not take Greyhound-no voters there.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!! thats funny maryann

A.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was stated on CNN on Friday that regularly scheduled AmTrak trains were being held up and rerouted because of his "special" train.
Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/09/politics/campaign/09notebook.html?pagewanted=1

Be sure to open the Multimedia link - most interesting.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the New Mexico press reports said that he addressed the crowd while standing on the "caboose." Sure he did.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His special train was five hours late travelling through Lawrence, Kansas. Still have no word whether it was UP or not. Kerry had a scheduled stop in Lawrence and thousands of college students from the University of Kansas lined the tracks to here him. But many are PO'd now because the train never stopped.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radio personality Don Imus, and the force behind the Imus Ranch for Kids with Cancer located in Ribera, NM, was understandably upset when the train, operating on BNSF tracks which cross the ranch for 4 miles, neither stopped nor paused. (Imus has publicly endorsed Kerry, and the Kerrys have made substantial contributions to the ranch.) Imus evidently had the kids lined up at one of the ranch's crossings and had attempted to contact members of Kerry's staff, but to no avail. He said that the normal Amtrak speed at that point was between 20-30 mph due to a tight curve. The train cruised right on by without stopping, and Imus reported that "the only people on the rear platform were a bunch of smokers." The kids were naturally disappointed, and a great photo op was certainly missed, Imus reported to his 12 million listeners this morning.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through personal circumstance I was along the route (BNSF) and saw the train and heard the local radio stations report what was said, or not said.

Lawrence , KS was a disaster, there were 1000 or more trackside and there was supposed to be (?) a brief stop. This did not happen. The conductor was blamed by the Kerry people, but who knows. Anyway, Mr. Edwards and his family got off the train at some location and flew back to Lawrence to repair the political damage with a short speech.

At La Junta Kerry spoke in in a city park to 5000+/-and among other things said that probably block watches should be instituted as part of the HOMELAND SECURITY plan. Most of his talk was a repeat of his acceptance speech.

Caught up with the train again at Winslow, AZ where native Americans ( mostly Navajo)
were told that they needed more (?) and he would see that they got it.

A sidelight, West from ALB the Kerry train was along the BNSF Transcon at its busiest time and it appeared that the 100+ trains per day along the 575 miles between ALB and Williams,( the Grand Canyon connection) did not significantly effect the flow of trains.
See next months issue of TRAINS with a feature about the Transcon.

You may drive along I-25 and I-40 and accomplish what I did accidentally if you are happen to be there at the right time.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page